MSC Divina review during Irma

merkeva

We sailed on 9/2 on MSC Divina for our 25th anniversary. It was only our 2nd cruise, our 1st being Carnival Fantasy in 2002.

Let me preface by noting that we are novices compared to most posters on cruisecritic and this site helped us immensely.

Since this was our 25th anniversary, we shopped carefully and read all the reviews on this site before choosing MSC Divina and OMG are we glad we did. It was the vacation of a lifetime!

PRE CRUISE:

We wanted an all inclusive experience with as much freedom as possible; similar to a Sandal's resort. The Aurea experience looked good, it wasn't... it was nearly perfect. But more on that later.

We like to drink so the all-inclusive drink package was paramount. During the months leading up to our sail date, MSC changed their drink packages but the online information was vague. We booked the Aurea experience with the "classic" drink package but wanted the new "premium" package which includes top shelf liquors, specialty restaurants and drinks from rooms service and the mini-bar. 2 weeks prior to sailing I tried to upgrade from classic to premium by contacting MSC and our travel agent (cruise.com) and got no where. MSC wanted to charge the full price ($760) for premium. It didn't make any sense. I gave up hoping for the best on board.

Arriving in Miami airport, there was no MSC rep or shuttle to be found, even though all of the other cruise line reps said there was a MSC rep "just over there". After a phone call to MSC, they confirmed that they don't provide ground transport, no big deal; a $15 cab and we were at the terminal right quick.

BOARDING:

Here's were Aurea is worth every penny!

With Aurea we had our own security entrance... no line. After security is check in. YIKES... the line was HUGE... hundreds of people waiting in misery. But not for Aurea!!! We had our own checkin (PRIORITY BOARDING!!!) with 1 couple in front. Checkin checked off in a few minutes.

FINALLY ABOARD:

The reception area on Divina is simply breathtaking. When we caught our breath, the first thing that happened was the BEST. Several staff were offering drink packages. Turns out to upgrade from our included classic to premium was $7/day per person.. or about $110. Thank you, this is what we wanted all along. With upgraded cruise cards in hand we proceeded to the Spa to schedule our free massages (also included with Aurea). My wife was thrilled to schedule several gym classes before they filled up.

DINING:

Our first dining stop was the buffet. On the first day, the buffet was confusing and very very crowded. The food was plentiful and pretty good. Don't be afraid to walk to the back areas there's more food stations and seats.

The Black Crab is the main formal dining room (2 decks) and has breakfast, lunch and dinner. Like all cruise ships you are assigned a dining time. But not with Aurea which has MY CHOICE. Ok so what is MY CHOICE? Go to deck 5 show your card get seated immediately whenever you feel like it. Period. We've never been treated so well and so fast at any restaurant. Ever. I'm a foodie and a wine connoisseur (but not a snob about it). The food was excellent, the wine choices incredible, thanks premium! I had Oberon SavBlanc and CabSav at every meal...heaven.

Eataly was ok, we had excellent pizza but the service was slow. The food at Sports Bar (free) sucked.

Although we didn't try Gaxaly, we heard good things but were skeptical it could be better than Black Crab.

As the week went on, navigating the buffet got easier and the food was pretty damn good.

AT SEA:

The first thing we noticed was how differently we as Aurea premium were treated at the bars. Imagine going to a bar and having anything you want then the bartender says he'll make it a double or triple or add another premium liquor while other passengers are trying to figure out their drink coupons. Another win for Aurea is deck 18. It is an exclusive slolarium at the top of the ship. Without Aurea you have to pay $5 per person per day.It's the quietest emptiest sundeck with a constant breeze that overlooks the main aqua deck.It was our got place!

MSC INTERNATIONAL:

We were Americans and in a small minority. In fact we found out that there were only 2 US crew out of 1800! But that made it even better for us. Divina speaks at least 6 languages!It was like a trip around the world.

IRMA:

To say MSC did everything to keep us safe, informed and happy during Irma is an understatement. After the port itinerary changed, changing excursions was a breeze. Divina raced into Miami to drop off anyone that wanted to disembark and raced out ahead of Irma to Cozumel. Everyone got free wifi to comm as needed. We payed for the full internet which was marginal, but after everyone had it it was dismal due to 4000 passengers and 1 satelite uplink. Still... KUDOS MSC.

SUMMARY:

Divina is beautiful, peaceful and very clean. Her international crew is delightful. The food is very good.

If you want to cruise as honored dignataries book Aurea. We will again!

Great review - concise and informative!

Delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience - especially for such a milestone anniversary!

Just a couple of points: The premium drinks package isn't new - it was introduced around the same time that MSC brought in all-inclusive packages.

I don't know why you weren't allowed to upgrade the package for the price difference prior to sailing. There was a discussion on here about how to do it and the code to use. We have an Aurea booking on Divina for 2019 and I upgraded the package on July 27th last. When you upgrade on board, you pay an additional 15% service charge which can be avoided by doing it before sailing.

• 1 month later...
Here's were Aurea is worth every penny!

With Aurea we had our own security entrance... no line. After security is check in. YIKES... the line was HUGE... hundreds of people waiting in misery. But not for Aurea!!! We had our own checkin (PRIORITY BOARDING!!!) with 1 couple in front. Checkin checked off in a few minutes.

merkeva--Our first time on MSC and Aurea Experience. Is the Aurea security at the white tent that I've heard others refer to? Is this where we drop our bags off? Is this the same area the YC passengers go? I sail in 2 1/2 weeks and I just want to make sure of where I am going at embarkation.

merkeva--Our first time on MSC and Aurea Experience. Is the Aurea security at the white tent that I've heard others refer to? Is this where we drop our bags off? Is this the same area the YC passengers go? I sail in 2 1/2 weeks and I just want to make sure of where I am going at embarkation.

Hope you don't mind if I respond as the OP hasn't returned to the thread since the original post.

The white tent is only for Yacht Club guests. You drop your bags in the same area as those not in YC. You'll be guided to the "Priority Embarkation" line; YC don't check-in in this area, only Black Card holders, Aurea Guests and those who need assistance, such as wheelchair users.

Hope you don't mind if I respond as the OP hasn't returned to the thread since the original post.

The white tent is only for Yacht Club guests. You drop your bags in the same area as those not in YC. You'll be guided to the "Priority Embarkation" line; YC don't check-in in this area, only Black Card holders, Aurea Guests and those who need assistance, such as wheelchair users.

Thanks Bea. I've read on some prior reviews where the port employees don't always know where the priority is and steer people to the wrong line.....I just like to be prepared and have a rough idea of where I'm going lol.

I'm glad you enjoyed thec ruise, despite the rerouting due to Irma. I was on the 8/26 cruise, so I had friends who were still on for the 9/2 cruise, so I followed the entire situation closely, and it seemed as though MSC did a great job in keeping everything under control, and keeping everone safe. I would definitely agree that Divina is a gorgeous ship, with an amazing crew, and I would love to go back as well (it was my first time on MSC on 8/26). Hopefully you're back on board soon, thank you for your summary! :D