First Person Account of the fire on the Star

Host Jacquelyn

Wow!

I just returned from a cruise. One thought that came to mind was that we use a sound machine to sleep and could not hear anything when that machine was on full blast. We were trying to drown out all the late night parties. I get chills just thinking about how confusing it must have been for most passengers to be awakened in the middle of the night. I'm not sure we would had heard any announcements over that machine.

From someone that has been through a house fire, I really feel for the passengers.

I just read your memo. Thanks for getting it on cruise critic asap. I am booked on Princess in a few months so it shook me some to hear about the fire. Your account sounds like what I would expect. The cruise line did all it could.......and validates those darned drills we always have to take before our departure. It shows that practice is worth it.

This can happen in any building, ship, place. Princess as most cruise lines are as ready as they can possibly be for this. This is so sad for the vacationers and the cruise line as well.

I have a co-worker (ANN) who is on this ship. Expect to hear lots more when she gets home.

I still look forward to my upcoming cruise with Princess.

Not a great time for the cruiselines:

- Star fire today

- Millenium shore excursion tragedy today

- Grand "turn" last month

- RCCL's George Smith incident last year

I doubt experienced cruisers will change plans because of all the bad news, but these things tend to scare off new cruisers. That's really going to hurt the industry.

- Star fire today

I doubt experienced cruisers will change plans because of all the bad news, but these things tend to scare off new cruisers. That's really going to hurt the industry.

What was Grand "turn"?

Thanks

The Grand Turn?... the ship turned very quickly in an effort to get an ill passenger back to the embarkation port, causing a major list that sent stuff flying.

my two cents... I think the increase in tragic incidents on cruiseships was inevitable once the number of people taking cruises skyrocketed. It sort of took a while for this to become evident if you think about it, it's been several years already that the numbers have been up.

My daughter is cruising this week on Carnival Liberty....and as much as I consider her an adult, and all grown up, at 23 years old, I have been monitoring the "cruise-cam" for her ship since she left.

Just to be sure everything is ok.

I cannot imagine what the families of this group of cruisers, and the families of the cruisers on the Celebrity ship, are going through.

It's either that there are SO many people vacationing this way....and there are a very small percentage of accidents....and the media just JUMPS on the accidents....OR...the cruise industry just isn't as vigilant as it once was.

Of course, the Celebrity tragedy wasn't on a cruise sponsored excursion....but I wonder why that relatively large group of seniors booked a private excursion?

I hope it wasn't because Celebrity (Carnival) chose to charge WAY too much for a similar excursion.

When I first started cruising....it was a GREAT vacation, EVERYTHING was included (except the cocktails...of course)...

now.....I'm thinking that it's NOT safe for me...or the people I love.

It's different.

I fully expect that most of the people who read this will think I'm an idiot.

That's fine.

there are SO many people vacationing this way....and there are a very small percentage of accidents....and the media just JUMPS on the accidents....

my thoughts exactly!

it's the same thing with the reports of Norwalk virus... a virus that's most prevalent in schools where all our kids are every day!

there are SO many people vacationing this way....and there are a very small percentage of accidents....and the media just JUMPS on the accidents....

my thoughts exactly!

it's the same thing with the reports of Norwalk virus... a virus that's much more prevalent in schools where all our kids are every day!

- Star fire today

The Millenium Shore excursion tragedy was terrible, but they had booked it independently and not through the ship from what I am hearing and reading. The ship does not contract through that company, from what has been reported so far.

I guess I should have said "Grand's turn". The Grand Princess made a sharp turn at high speed last month to return to port after a passenger had a medical emergency. People thought the ship was turning over, TV's fell on people, lots of damage. Here's some pictures: http://www.princessshutter.com/coppermine/

Oh, I almost forgot about the pirates who tried to take over a Seabourn cruise a few months ago. I think it's going to be a set back for the industry - and just when it was coming back after losing business after 9/11.

FYI - I just noticed that Princess has their Bridge Cam back up from the Star. It was down earlier today.

http://webcam.princess.com/webcam/star_bridge.jpg

The Millenium Shore excursion tragedy was terrible, but they had booked it independently and not through the ship from what I am hearing and reading. The ship does not contract through that company, from what has been reported so far.

It's still a cruise-related tragedy that weighs heavy on the public's mind.

My daughter is cruising this week on Carnival Liberty....and as much as I consider her an adult, and all grown up, at 23 years old, I have been monitoring the "cruise-cam" for her ship since she left.

Just to be sure everything is ok.

I cannot imagine what the families of this group of cruisers, and the families of the cruisers on the Celebrity ship, are going through.

It's either that there are SO many people vacationing this way....and there are a very small percentage of accidents....and the media just JUMPS on the accidents....OR...the cruise industry just isn't as vigilant as it once was.

Of course, the Celebrity tragedy wasn't on a cruise sponsored excursion....but I wonder why that relatively large group of seniors booked a private excursion?

I hope it wasn't because Celebrity (Carnival) chose to charge WAY too much for a similar excursion.

When I first started cruising....it was a GREAT vacation, EVERYTHING was included (except the cocktails...of course)...

now.....I'm thinking that it's NOT safe for me...or the people I love.

It's different.

I fully expect that most of the people who read this will think I'm an idiot.

That's fine.

First off, I never think it's much of my business why a person makes the choices they do, we could speculate all day and still get it wrong.

Second, Celebrity is not affiliated with Carnival, it is owned by RCI.

Third, I think you have made a very valid point, many more ships are cruising, many more larger ships are cruising. Add the fact that we have instant worldwide news coverage and everyone reads/sees/hears the same accounts, the media is all powerful even though it can be irresponsible at times.

I still think of cruising as a safe vacation. Tragedy can happen anywhere, on land, in the air, at sea. But we can't expect to live our lives if we worry about the "what ifs" all the time. I know the stories we hear are sad and I feel so sorry for all these people and their families/friends. The numbers are still in our favor for a wonderful experience, if you consider the millions of people who cruise every year, only a miniscule percentage experience tragedy.

I don't think of you as an idiot at all, you shouldn't even make a statement like that. You have concern, a lot of people do, it's actually quite healthy to have a bit of concern when travelling and to not automatically trust everyone and everything.

You can still cruise with everything included, the extras are just that, extra. Really, the only thing I spend any additional money on are alcoholic beverages, photos and I sometimes buy makeup (duty free) onboard. I don't understand what you mean by extra, is it the soda?, the specialty restaurants that were not in existance a few short years ago?

For the record, if my 23 year old daughter was on a cruise ship this week, or any week, I'd probably be watching her progress too!

My thoughts are with all who have had tragedy this week and God speed to the folks on the Princess ship, it must be a terrible ordeal to go through.

Host Jacquelyn -

On the Celebrity boards they combined all of the bus accident threads and created a sticky. Is it possible that could be done here? It might help everyone sort through the info. Just a suggestion, not sure if it is a good thing or not.

Thanks.

Sorry, I was confused on the Celebrity connection to "which" MAJOR cruise line.

It's what happens when you're over 50!

About the "extras"...

I cruised before you had to pay $25. extra a night to get a "good" meal.

I always thought dinner would be great every night in the dining room.

And it was.

Agentjoey - I believe that smoking is allowed in all cabins on most cruise lines. I have only smoked on the balcony in the past to try to avoid totally bothering my husband, but this next cruise will find me smoke free - since January. All of this news has been heart breaking today, but I agree that the number of incidents on cruise ships is minor compared to car accidents, shootings, etc. everyday somewhere in the world. With anything today, we just have to be more aware (I know I will be more attentive at the muster drill) and treasure each day that we do have with those around us.

Peggy

I have only smoked on the balcony in the past to try to avoid totally bothering my husband, but this next cruise will find me smoke free - since January. ...Peggy

Congratulations Peggy! You are to be commended. -Paula

- Star fire today

- RCCL's George Smith incident last year.

This was the cruise industries finest hour. It is truely amazing seeing the pictures that there were not more fatalities or injuries.

All accounts I have seen reflect a truely courageous and professional crew. They efficiently went about their duties, while the captain kept everyone informed.

I am most impressed by the account that when the fire was out, as the captain thanked his crew, the passengers applauded.

- Star fire today Praise to the crew to prevent injury from a fire that appears not to be the Ships fault

- Millenium shore excursion tragedy today Tragedy to cruise passengers, no resposibity for the Ship....great compassion from the Ship and Cruise LIne

- Grand "turn" last month A few cuts....and broken LLardo statues...totally overblown incident

- RCCL's George Smith incident last year Not the Ship's fault...the result of shady actions of shady people.

All tragic.....but not the fault of the Ships or Cruise Lines

I read that the fire may have been started by a cigarette in one of the staterooms. I don't smoke but just wondering if smoking is even allowed in a balcony room?

Smoking is not banned in bedrooms/cabins. And if it were, don't you think that those smokers who can't do without a cigarette and who really want to cruise, will just smoke in their rooms anyway? It just shows you, for all we grumble about boat drill, it's worth going and paying attention! Kudos to the crew of Star Princess, who showed that what they practice so often pays off in an emergency. They are all heroes!

I can't agree with Paulras. I don't think this fire will hurt the industry. Carnival never suffered any long term effects from the fire onboard the Ecstasy and the ship still sails today. Most folks are unaware there ever was a fire! In my opinion Princess handled this fire far better than Carnival. Lucky for the Ecstasy passengers they were close to Miami and got alot of help. Working pretty close with the cruise industry, I don't think the cruise lines suffered ill effects from 9/11. People we afraid to fly....not sail. The way the media hype's this fire up....you'd think someone burned up in the flames! Not the case.

Are the balconies on the Star configured like those of the Golden? (Jumped over from the Carnival board but was on the Golden a few years back.) I never liked the fact that the balconies are "stair stepped." If someone should throw a cigarette from a higher balcony it could land on something flamable on a lower balcony. Means a fire could start on your balcony even if you didn't smoke. Wonder what really happened.

We have good memories of the Golden and would go Princess again if the price and itinerary were right.

Archived