Norway to be beached Aug 9

marktac

The website "Maritime Matters" is reporting that the Norway, now known as the Blue Lady, will be beached at the breakers in Alang, India on August 9. The inevitable is about to happen.

Wonder what the real plans for the SS United States are with NCL. Haven't heard a word in some time.

Mark T

You haven't been listening!

The CEO of the Genting Group made a public statement at the commissioning of the Pride of Hawaii in Los Angeles just a few months ago. Nothing definate was stated, but it's wrong to say NCL or Star Cruises hasn't said anything about the SS United States for some time.

Here's the new's article dated May 21, 2006:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1664

Excerpt:

Tan Sri LIM Kok Thay, Chairman of Star Cruises, NCL's parent company, talked about the power of friendship that was required to see NCL America through to this point. Interestingly, he noted that NCL America's next project would be the refurbishment and relaunching of the S.S. United States, an American-flagged ship currently in wet-dock in Philadelphia.

While no plans, or details were released, it's obvious that NCL and Star Cruises are still planing to refurbish her.

If they will or not, no one knows.

I wish to add, that's it's a shame NCL couldn't find a buyer other than scap metal dealers willing to pay a fair price for the SS Norway.

electricron, I was aware of the statement by Star Cruises, but as you said, it really was more of a non-statement. There were no plans, no details, no nothing given out. And that has been their position since they got her. One would think there would be some sort of definitive plan by now. I don't think there is anything obvious about their plans at all. THAT was what I meant.

Mark T

I disagree Mark. It has been obvious from the outset that NCL has no plans for the SS United States as far as ever cruising again. Plain and simple, they bought her so no other cruiseline could have a ship that is U.S. flagged. Thus no competition. Very sad seeing her rusting away in the Delaware River every time i go past her.

Bill

Couldn't agree with you more, Bill. Neither NCL America nor Star Cruises have any plan to sail the United States again, even if it were financially feasible, IMHO. I've seen her a few times, both from land and the air, and she isn't much more than a rusting hulk. Considering her age and the lack of care, not to mention the complete revamping of the propulsion to make her viable again, it's easy to conclude that NCL was making a publicity statement only.

Mark T

electricron, I was aware of the statement by Star Cruises, but as you said, it really was more of a non-statement. There were no plans, no details, no nothing given out. And that has been their position since they got her. One would think there would be some sort of definitive plan by now. I don't think there is anything obvious about their plans at all. THAT was what I meant. Mark T

At least we agree on something. NCL will still have two older ships (Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Majesty) that probably will be replaced before anything is done to the SS United States, assuming NCL does refurbish her. I'm assuming NCL wishes to still sail from Houston/Dover and Boston/Charleston in the future. I am of the belief to modernize in all your markets first, before expanding the fleet again. Then, NCL has to decide what they want to do with her? They probably will develop several plans, with options on expansion, engineering, solas requirements, number of balcony and suite cabins, add decks or not, what to do about the shipping holds, etc. They also must settle on what they are willing to spend, and whether to refurbish her initially completely, or to do so in steps like they did the SS Norway.

Personally, I would like to see the SS US take back the east bound Blue Ribbon. She's fast enough to do so with her older propulsion plant, but might not be able to so with a new, modern, less horsepower, propulsion plant.

Time will tell.

I agree with everything that has been said on this posting thus far...I have sailed on Norway twice and once on Dream, Wind and Majesty. The difference here is that people expect Dream, Wind and Majesty to be sold or scrapped and replaced with new ships and for the most part are not sad or sorry to see those ships go to Alang. Ships like Norway and United States are one of a kind ships that will never be built again as you can tell by looking at the new refrigerator ships of today. Some things in our history as a people and for this case the cruise industry need to be saved, preserved and honored for future generations to be able to see and experience. I enjoyed my cruises on Dream, Wind and Majesty but they did not offer the atmosphere and experience of sailing on the Norway. Let's hope that the latest developments out of Alang are true and Norway will not be scrapped.

I had a chance to visit the Queen Mary once when I was in Long Beach and thought it was great to be able to see and feel what it was like to sail on that old classic liner.

Ok, sorry if I offend anyone here, but what is the big deal with the Norway and United States? Is there some particular event or design that makes these ships so special.
These were ships built in the age when you could love ships. They had individuality; they had personality; they had sophistication, class and distinction. And they were beautiful objects; machines that were built to look as well as do.

And so these are ships which, if you had ever sailed on them and got to know them, will bring a tear to your eye if and when they get broken up.

They're about as different from the soulless modern cookie-cutter apartment blocks that now pass for ships as chalk is from cheese.

These ships do not look like floating refrigerators and I can include the QE2 in that statement since she has classic lines. These ships are not made of prefabricated containers or boxes, used traditional materials like teak and brass and required craftsmanship...and for the most part they are all one of a kind.

They ARE one-of-a-kind and I'm so glad my first cruise was on the Norway. That's when I fell in love with cruising. And on the Norway is really WAS cruising, with all the ambience implied.

I still love cruising obviously, but it is different than the experience on the Norway. Somehow, it just FELT so special. And even though I love the more casual atmosphere now, it was actually fun to dress for dinner. Of course, meals then were something very special too. Guess we just have to move on, but never forget what cruising used to be all about.

...even the Wind and the Dream have better lines than most of the new ships, which I liken to a condo built on a hull. The Wind and Dream still manage to look like ships, they still have teak promenade decks that circumnavigate the entire vessel, and they possess a grace that seems to elude the newer huger floating resort/condo/shopping malls...there are still a few cruise ships that are graceful, most are the remaining smaller ships, the newest offerings like the Freedom of the Seas really have nothing to offer but their sheer size which obviously dazzles many as evidenced by the popularity of these new ships...

cheers,

the Imagineers

upcoming NCL cruise on the Wind - Aug 27/06

upcoming Oceania cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07

Stillfloatin'....our first cruise was on the Norway in 1989 also. We went the second week of October for an anniversart cruise.

When was yours?

PE

Late April. We went with 3 other couples and one of the grandma and grandpas took care of ALL of our kids. :eek: Luckily, they were all aged 10-15, and we each provided 2 day's worth of meals.

I'll never forget pulling up to the pier and being awed by the Norway. She was so majestic. We all had the most marvelous week together. Leaving her was so difficult. That was my first bitter taste of PCD. I regret not sailing her again. We did send our parents on her for their 50th anniversary. I see you managed to get in some more cruises on her. Lucky you!

I see you managed to get in some more cruises on her. Lucky you!

Yes, we got to enjoy her a number of times. We have met people who have sailed the Norway more weeks in a row than the number of times we have been on her. We actually met a couple (twice) that usually went for 8 weeks at a time.

As a matter of fact I had convinced my fellow FOMTers to sail on the Norway. We were all booked to sail on the November after the tragedy. If I remember correctly that was going to be 22 or 23 Norway newbies. To bad it all fell through.

I know it has been done before...but I may start a thread for people to remember their "first" cruise on the Norway. I'll bet this will also include a lot of people whose first cruise WAS the Norway.

PE

The website "Maritime Matters" is reporting that the Norway, now known as the Blue Lady, will be beached at the breakers in Alang, India on August 9. The inevitable is about to happen.

Wonder what the real plans for the SS United States are with NCL. Haven't heard a word in some time.

Mark T

What does this mean, to be beached? I loved my cruise on the Norway. It was my 10th anniversary and very romantic.

What does this mean, to be beached? I loved my cruise on the Norway. It was my 10th anniversary and very romantic.

Quite literally, they run the ship up on the beach where it is grounded until the breakers (workers) cut it apart and sell the scrap. Do a search for Maritime Matters and read their story "On the Road to Alang." Numerous photos of ships in various stages of demolition all in a row on the beach. Don't know if the CC police will allow posting of their web site here. But, if you put the two words together and put a dot com after it, that will take you where you want to go.

This is just one of several locations that do this style of demolition.

Mark T

Beached means to be ran aground onto the mud flats.

Here's a satellite photo showing what I'm suggesting:

Alang.jpg

There's at least 16 ship in this photo alone in some stage of being scrapped. We're only seeing about a mile of the Alang beaches in this photo, which is over 5 miles long. I'm willing to bet all the ships being scrapped at Alang have some abestos and hazardous wastes aboard. This argument about the abestos onboard the SS Norway isn't going to affect the health of the workers working there. What's the effect of one ship among dozens?

To be beached in this case means to be pushed up on the sandy shore(beach) to be cut up into scrap steel.

Ok, sorry if I offend anyone here, but what is the big deal with the Norway and United States? Is there some particular event or design that makes these ships so special.

As my husband put it on our wedding cruise, which was on the S/S Norway, the ship had class. Our evenings were spent in the Club International, we loved the artwork, enjoyed learning the history of the ship as the S/S France, and had fun exploring the stairwells that would only go to certain floors or the little passageway in the former upper class garden area that now houses the Sky deck pool. We were in our 20s at the time and had family and friends on the cruise up through age 70 -- and all were intrigued by her history. No other cruise ship we have cruised on has had any history (so to speak).

Coincidentally, the Captain of our wedding cruise on the Norway in 2003 was the same Captain as our very first cruise on NCL Sky in 2000 (now the Aloha). Two months after our wedding cruise the explosion occurred.

But for us, our wedding week was so very special and for many of our family and friends who cruised with us it was their very first cruise. She holds a distinctive place in our hearts. Our first night as husband and wife was spent on the Norway as we sailed away from the US Virgin Islands.

Yes' date=' we got to enjoy her a number of times. We have met people who have sailed the Norway more weeks in a row than the number of times we have been on her. We actually met a couple (twice) that usually went for 8 weeks at a time.

As a matter of fact I had convinced my fellow FOMTers to sail on the Norway. We were all booked to sail on the November after the tragedy. If I remember correctly that was going to be 22 or 23 Norway newbies. To bad it all fell through.

I know it has been done before...but I may start a thread for people to remember their "first" cruise on the Norway. I'll bet this will also include a lot of people whose first cruise WAS the Norway.

PE[/quote']

That must have been a major disappointment! I like the idea of "first" cruise on the Norway thread.

Archived