Liquor Stores in San Francisco

wyealbert

I work in the area and there aren't too many true liquor stores in the area. What specifically are you looking for? Are you staying in a hotel before the cruise or coming in that day. Will you have a car or willing to take a short cab ride?

There's a Cost Plus Import near Pier 35 and it's within walking distance of the ship. Take a cab back if you purchase too much to carry. They have a good selection of wine. There's Gharadelli Square by the wharf, and there's a store in the square that sells wine and alcohol. They also sell those little bottles of alcohol like they serve on the airlines. Those will be easy to get onto the ship. The chocolate is good too. If my memory serves me correctly, there's also a Safeway or a Coop behind the square, and they have a liquor department--maybe cheaper than the shop in the square. If you have time, stop in at Lou's on the wharf, it's a "blue's" bar, great music and lotsa fun. Have fun!

I just checked yahoo and there's a Safeway grocery store in the Marina district which is not too far from pier 35. I would take a cab, it's not more than a 10-minute ride.

Right across from the Hyatt Regency is the Ferry Terminal (Clock Tower). There are more expensive but very interesting stores including a wine & liquor store. Also at the Ferry Building is the Vietnamese Restaurant "Slanted Door which became famous since Pres. Clinton ate there when he was still Prez. (At that time it was at a different location). /Sultan

We are staying in the Hyatt Regency prior to boarding and will be taking a cab to the pier. Looking for liquor as well as wine.

Thanks.

Just a thought. You can buy a bottle of liquor on board ship much cheaper than you will be able to buy it in San Francisco. Wine is a different story. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, there is a great Wine shop in the Ferry building which is located on the Embarcadaro at Market Street. YOu can catch the F Car (muni railway) right in front of Pier 39 or Pier 35 and it will stop in front of the Ferry Building. I think the fair is $1.25 and the ticket is good for transfers or return trips for 90 minutes. It's a great place to find all kinds of gourmet treats as well. Safeway carries a good variety of wine also, but Cost Plus will be less expensive.

I did it in June with my four year old. If you are staying at the Hyatt in Fishermans Wharf you just walk out of the hotel and turn right. Two blocks down will be Safeway and then a few blocks after that is the pier. It was a very pretty walk and was a nice way to stretch our legs before waiting for embarkation. Have a great time.

As Sultan has so graciously pointed out I have no freakin idea what I am talking about. Thanks Sultan for so nastily stating something that could have been said in a lot nicer fashion. To the OP my humble apologies for not reading your question more thoroughly.

Dosi -- my apologies to both you and cactusrose. I did not mean to be offensive. Actually, there are 4 different Hyatts in SF! I started the confusion by using two different names -- Ferry Terminal and Ferry Building (which are one and the same). Ferry Building is about 1.5 miles from Pier 35 where most of the time cruise ships dock. /Sultan

If he could think of more original names for his damn hotels we wouldn't have had this problem in the first place. Actually Sultan I grew up in SF and am sorely aware of the glut of Hyatts. I just automatically assumed the FW Hyatt since it is closest and I just stayed there. To the OP....the Fishermans Wharf Hyatt is very very nice and walking distance to the port and grocery store. Also close to LOADS of good restaurants. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you are considering a change of hotel. :rolleyes:

And if you are not thinking of a change and stay with the Hyatt Regency go have dinner at the Tadich Grill. It is very nice and has delicious food.

Sulton_SFO not offense taken. I was still responding the OP original post asking about liquor stores near pier 35, so my fault for not reading the second post stating that he was staying at Hyatt Regency. Of course the Ferry Building is right across the street from there and shouldn't be missed. I work in the area and go to the farmers market there every Tuesday and Thrusday. They also have one on Saturday.

Archived