Oceania or Azamara ?

man from nantucket

I also posted this on the Azamara Board.

Posting it here to get both sides of the story.

Thinking of taking a cruise on one of the small ships. From what I have read Azamara seems to be a small ship with all of the big ship problems.

Oceania seems to have all good reports. Is this hype or have they totally got their act together.

Azamara fares seem to be dropping to levels similar to the big ships. Are their problems also hype? It doesn't make sense that they can compete on the same level as Oceania with lower fares.

Anybody have some insight?

While Oceania definitely has its act together, I think it may be too soon to try to judge Azamara. They've barely started; give them a chance. In the meantime, Oceania is about as good as you can get in the niche they have selected.

I'll try Azamara one day, after their itineraries get sorted out.

Hi, yes this is a question for us to. We were on the Millennium for the Med this year( wonderful). I have been looking at both Azamara and Oceania for the Baltic 09 and think we may go with the later, but keen to hear of others experience and opinions, all in the name of due diligence!!!

I agree with Hondorner - it may be too early to fairly judge Azamara, which apparently has had many start up problems.

Oceania's been in business for a while, and seems to be running smoothly overall.

We've been on Oceania twice, with two more booked. We've not yet considered Azamara, perhaps in a year or two.

Price is not everything!! ;)

It may be lower prices on Azamara but still lots of complaints

From what I have read about Azamara the quality is not here yet...maybe in time.

I agree with the others O has it together for the most part, they still do have problems but not on the ships IMHO.

I was considering Aza but I think I will stick with O for quite awhile.

Biggest pluses for Azamara at the moment vs. Oceania are 1) availability (many Oceania cruises are sold out while Azamara has cabins at good prices on similar itineraries and 2) somewhat more creative itineraries (see, for example, the "Best of Italy" cruise next Spring. Many interesting Italian ports with overnights in the major ones).

We are also looking at Oceania right now, however we are trying to compare it to Regent. Has anybody done an analysis of adding cocktails, wine and gratuities to Oceania's base fare for a suite and seeing how it compares with Regent. Everything we have read is that all other areas, such as food, bedding and service are pretty much the same quality as Regent. Be interested to hear somebody elses bottom line bill compared to all inclusive Regent.

I was thinking of doing a Regent cruise and did compare prices.

I guess it depends on how much you drink if it would be better with Regent.

I found that I can do a 10 or 14 day cruise on Oceania for the same price or less as a 7 day on Regent.

Also O includes air and has a very strict smoking policy... a plus for us.

For us it is not worth the extra expense I could not drink $1000. worth of drinks even in a month;)

They both have their plus & minuses you have to decide what is important to you.

Lyn

We are also looking at Oceania right now, however we are trying to compare it to Regent. Has anybody done an analysis of adding cocktails, wine and gratuities to Oceania's base fare for a suite and seeing how it compares with Regent.

I was curious so I just did a comparison for Regent on a similar cruise that we have booked on O.

a 10 Caribbean cruise on

RSSC $8435 for Cat H

Oceania 2 more port stops similar ports $5739.for a B2 cat

difference from drinks $2696.

RSSC does have bigger cabins & a tub

We are not in our cabins very much and O's smoking policy is more strict a plus for us

Both lines have their plus & minuses you have to decide what is important to you

I would hazard a guess that it might only work when you compare a suite to a suite.

Also depends on the level of drinking. We would generally have three cocktails each + a bottle of wine + my wife would have an after dinner drink each day. That might add up to around $130.00 per day + $25.00 per day in gratuities. So the numbers get closer. For light or non drinkers I don't think it would really work out better.

Yes comparing the suite size will make a difference I think the PH on O is comparable to the H cat.

Our Bar bill for a month on O was less than $50.

It is all about choices.

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

I think you are forgetting other things Regent offers..gratuities included, all water, all soft drinks, wine ..at one time when I figured everything in..there was really not that much different ..

Jan

I added in the gratuities & my $200 past member credit but did not compare equal cabin size

plus I think for Regent the air is extra.

My wonderful TA includes the gratuities ;)

I am comfortable in the standard cabins on O and do not need a bathtub.

I don't drink sodas, the bottled water (the ship's water is fine) maybe 1-2 glasses of wine.

That is why I say it is all about what you want in a cruise, that is why they give you choices.:D

Lyn

I agree with Hondorner - it may be too early to fairly judge Azamara, which apparently has had many start up problems.

As did Oceania. I remember reading a lot of reports of "nickel and diming" and crowded, noisy dining rooms on Oceania when the line started up that were a real turn off to me because I was expecting much more of this line. I hoped there would not be art auctions, etc. Startups have problems.

Anyway, it would be really interesting if both lines had started up at the same time and we'd be able to see how they stacked up against each other in the same time period.

Time will tell. I haven't taken either line yet, though the stricter smoking is the biggest plus for me, as is the promise of much better food. I have cruised on Celebrity and felt the Mercury food of 2003 was better than the Infinity food of 2007.

I disembarked the Journey's 11/29 -12/10 So Am cruise. Earlier this year I sailed on the Insignia on a 15 day crosiing.

The current crop of senior officers on board the Journey are intent on bringing the level of food , service, and accommodations in line with those available on Oceania. The effort by all Journey crew and staff to please portends it won't be long before that goal is achieved...not in a year, but within a few more cruises. Service and accommodations are practically indistinguishable now. I can not speak for the Quest, but presume it is proceeding on a parallel track.

The Azamara home office Exec Chef was on board my cruise for the express purpose of revising the menus. Assuming he is able to ratchet up the quality of the offerings particularly in the specialty restaurants Azamara soon be equal to Oceania with some very minor exceptions.

The competition will be good for all concerned.

We are going on our first Oceania cruise in February and then on Azamara next October so will be able to compare.

Interestingly last September we cruised on the new Royal Princess, (originally R8) and we enjoyed ourselves very much. OK Princess is a different product with maybe some of the extras missing but it was good value and the ship was beautifully presented. The food was as expected (probably on par with Celebrity) and most surprisingly the entertainment was better than we had expected for a smaller ship. We would go again depending on the destinations etc.

Kay

Archived