Amsterdam and Anne Frank House

ewagma

OK We are trying to decide what to do in Amsterdam about the Anne Frank House. We are only going to be there for a short time (12P to 7p and have to probably be on the ship by 6P) - I really want see it - and we also just want to do Amsterdam on our own.

:confused: The dilemma is - I want to buy our tickets ahead of time (for AFH) but you have to pick a time you want to do the tour. From where the ship docks to the AFH - How far? How long by HOHO bus? Anyone else have any ideas? :confused:

The times start at like 1230 -1330 - does that mean we can go in anytime between 1230 to 130 or do we have to be there at 1230? I am getting stressed about this!! :eek:

He wants to walk around the Red Light district and stop for lunch some where! He is really trying to talk me out of the AFH. I am holding tight. Not going to cave!!! I do want to try to do some shopping also.

Only 85 days!!!!! :D

OK We are trying to decide what to do in Amsterdam about the Anne Frank House. We are only going to be there for a short time (12P to 7p and have to probably be on the ship by 6P) - I really want see it - and we also just want to do Amsterdam on our own.

:confused: The dilemma is - I want to buy our tickets ahead of time (for AFH) but you have to pick a time you want to do the tour. From where the ship docks to the AFH - How far? How long by HOHO bus? Anyone else have any ideas? :confused:

The times start at like 1230 -1330 - does that mean we can go in anytime between 1230 to 130 or do we have to be there at 1230? I am getting stressed about this!! :eek:

He wants to walk around the Red Light district and stop for lunch some where! He is really trying to talk me out of the AFH. I am holding tight. Not going to cave!!! I do want to try to do some shopping also.

Only 85 days!!!!! :D

I would suggest to forget the Hoho and just make your own schedule.

From the PTA cruiseterminal take tramnr. 25 or 26 to Centraal Station. Just a short ride. Change trams there to nr. 13 or 17 and get off at Westerkerk. That is a short walk to Ann Frankhouse.

( Besides near Centraal Station you could make a nice canalboatride, which lasts about 1 hour and you will see a lot of the city.)

This way you can make reservation at Ann Frankhouse for the time which you think is best. It is better to make reservations as lines can be long and you need that time.

After that take tramnr 17, 13, or 14 back (from the other side of the street whre you got off) near Westerkerk again and get off at the back of the Royal Palce near Dam, which is just 1 stop I think. (Or walk).

On Dam is the big shop of Bijenkorf and on Damrak some souvenirshops. or walk into Kalverstreet, lots of shops.

from Dam through Damstraat is a short walk to RDL. You can walk through it into the direction of Centraal Station again. Either walk all the way back to your ship, or again from CS tramnr 25 or 26 to PTA. (check the right directions!).

In this case it might be easiest to buy single tickets in the tram.

Check this map of Amsterdam to see the places I mentioned on sections B5 and B4.:

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

And this site for publictransport - go to networkmap:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Maps.aspx

Oh my goodness!!! :D

Ine,

Thank you so much!!! That I am sure will help! The maps are wonderful! I don't think we will have any problem. Will be checking out about the tickets and we will be on our way!!!

Have any good ideas on where to catch something to eat?

Thanks again!!

Oh my goodness!!! :D

Ine,

Thank you so much!!! That I am sure will help! The maps are wonderful! I don't think we will have any problem. Will be checking out about the tickets and we will be on our way!!!

Have any good ideas on where to catch something to eat?

Thanks again!!

You will find many places to get a bite. I assume you donot plan to have a big lunch...

Not just McDonalds, but also inside Bijenkorf there is a nice place, (4th floor?) around the Dam and along Damstraat, choice is very wide.

What are you going to do with your luggage?

If I understood it right, those people just make a stop in Amsterdam with the cruise-ship, so luggage will stay on board...

That is correct we are sailing on the maiden voyage of the Baltics on the Splendor on 13 July. That is the reason for such a short time there. There has been talk of going next year and drive on down to Germany. But now all I want to do is cruise!!! forget driving!!!

Hi, we went last year before a river cruise and found it very moving. Stick to your guns it is worth seeing. I might caution you to dress very cool. We were there in September and it was very warm and I became extremely claustrophobic with the crunch of the people in the cramped rooms and with the oppressive heat. I could just imagine how is was for the Franke family shut up in those rooms with no fans and most of the windows closed. Steven Spielberg donated and raised a bunch of money to build the museum next to the Franke house and it is really interesting. Be sure to take one of the Canal bus tours. That, the Van Gogh museum, and the Anne Franke museum were the highlights. We have traveled extensively and I must say Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities.

Have a wonderful trip.

We were in Amsterdam last year on a Baltics cruise - I prebooked our tickets for 9:30 a/m/ (Ship was to dock at 8:00 am -- we actually walked over to the Central station - bought a strip of tram tickets and went straight to Anne Frank house --- not to be missed...

The weather was iffy (actually rained later) and my back-up plan for bad weather came into play - we took the tram over to Van Gogh museum and spent the whole downpour time inside! Then we went over to the Flower Market, walked downtown area (Red Light District - however, not very lively in early afternoon) - then took the canal ride and back to the ship - it was a fairly wet, damp windy day so we did not push it.

CJcruzer

forgot to add - the first time (12:30) is when you enter - if you are vert late, they do not guarantee you to get in ahead of any lines - not sure how strict they enforce that. They figure you should be no more than an hour - therefore the time frame 12:30-1:30 p.m.

CJ cruzer

Ine I will be in Amsterdam. Are you familiar with a small town of Erdie (sp). If you are can you tell me how far from Amsterdam it would be? How long it would be to get there? My father was in the 101 during WWII and had a family he corresponded and visited with for many years until his death three years ago. I was wondering If I would have time to visit this town.

Thanks for any info you have.

Helen

Ine I will be in Amsterdam. Are you familiar with a small town of Erdie (sp). If you are can you tell me how far from Amsterdam it would be? How long it would be to get there? My father was in the 101 during WWII and had a family he corresponded and visited with for many years until his death three years ago. I was wondering If I would have time to visit this town.

Helen

I am sorry but never heard of Erdie...are you sure that is the right name, or can you give me more details where about this is?

Maybe give names of some bigger towns in the vicinity?

I am sorry but never heard of Erdie...are you sure that is the right name, or can you give me more details where about this is?

Maybe give names of some bigger towns in the vicinity?

I just got some more info from my sister. The village is a tiny village spelled Eerde it is near Veghel and Uden. There is a monument to the 501 (my father was in the 501) paratroopers there as they liberated their village. During the war and in later years the people in the village treated my father very good and I believe he stayed with the family he met while he was there. I think they owned the windmill. My sister thinks I will not have enough time to visit the village? Do you agree? I will only be in holland between noon and 6 pm for one day.

Helen

I just got some more info from my sister. The village is a tiny village spelled Eerde it is near Veghel and Uden. There is a monument to the 501 (my father was in the 501) paratroopers there as they liberated their village. During the war and in later years the people in the village treated my father very good and I believe he stayed with the family he met while he was there. I think they owned the windmill. My sister thinks I will not have enough time to visit the village? Do you agree? I will only be in holland between noon and 6 pm for one day.

Helen

According your description (I had not heard about Eerde before), it is not too far from 's Hertogenbosch which is more south in the country. Would you have had a whole day you could make it, but I am afraid it will be too short.

The first train you could take would be at 1pm., change to a bus in 's Hertogenbosch, you would arrive in Veghel around 3 pm. (and would need a cab to Eerde)...

As I know Highways into that direction are very busy, lots of delays, I also cannot advise you to find a private-driver or cab that could drive you there. Risk of missing the ship is too high.

You would really need more hours for this visit. I am sorry.

According your description (I had not heard about Eerde before), it is not too far from 's Hertogenbosch which is more south in the country. Would you have had a whole day you could make it, but I am afraid it will be too short.

The first train you could take would be at 1pm., change to a bus in 's Hertogenbosch, you would arrive in Veghel around 3 pm. (and would need a cab to Eerde)...

As I know Highways into that direction are very busy, lots of delays, I also cannot advise you to find a private-driver or cab that could drive you there. Risk of missing the ship is too high.

You would really need more hours for this visit. I am sorry.

Ine

Thanks for you information. I was afraid of just what you are saying. After another conversation with my sister last night I am now looking into leaving the ship when we arrive in Holland and going to Eerde. I found a website and saw some pictures that were posted and sure enough on a small momument next to the official momument to the Airbourne Soldiers there is my father and mother's names! At first it was a shock to see it, but I can tell you that our family are very proud that the people of Eerde thought enough of my father to add his name and my mother's name to that personal momument and now I am wanting to go and visit the momument for myself. I also understand that there are several people who my father and mother corresponded with over the years that are still alive. I am going to try and contact them and hopefully be able to visit with them. Again I want to thank you for all your help and information. I hope one day I can recripicate (sp) should you ever find yourself in my "neck of the woods".

Thank you very much

Helen Flors

Daughter of William R McMahon Soldier 101 Airbourne WWII

Ine

Thanks for you information. I was afraid of just what you are saying. After another conversation with my sister last night I am now looking into leaving the ship when we arrive in Holland and going to Eerde. I found a website and saw some pictures that were posted and sure enough on a small momument next to the official momument to the Airbourne Soldiers there is my father and mother's names! At first it was a shock to see it, but I can tell you that our family are very proud that the people of Eerde thought enough of my father to add his name and my mother's name to that personal momument and now I am wanting to go and visit the momument for myself. I also understand that there are several people who my father and mother corresponded with over the years that are still alive. I am going to try and contact them and hopefully be able to visit with them. Again I want to thank you for all your help and information. I hope one day I can recripicate (sp) should you ever find yourself in my "neck of the woods".

Thank you very much

Helen Flors

Daughter of William R McMahon Soldier 101 Airbourne WWII

Sorry that you donot have enough time. If your ship would have been here the whole day, it would have been possible.

Maybe another option is to contact those people in Eerde and see if they (or some) are willing to come to Amsterdam and meet you.

In NL there are still many monuments around regarding WWII, for local people but also for those who helped to free the country.

A big cemetary with e.g. many killed american soldiers is near Maastricht -called Margraten. Near Arnhem there is Grebbeberg with many dutch killed soldiers. Of course also in other towns and villages.

Plus many monuments in many places.

May 04 is National Memorial Day. That night at 8 pm. 2 minutes silence is held all over the country and the Queen will put flowers at the national Monument at Dam in Amsterdam. This is broadcasted on TV.

May 5 is our `liberation day`,which is a national holiday every 5 years. Although every year there are always celebrations taking place.

Archived