Transportation Availability from Airport and to Pier

We researched staying at the Marriott Sydney Harbour and would really like to stay there but check in is not until 3:00 PM. The hotel recommends booking a room the night before arrival (so you need to book 2 nights, not just one) to ensure early check in on the day you arrive.

The hotel mentioned that they do not provide transportation from the airport to the hotel but arrangements can be made for a van or limo. Since there will be three of us traveling, I don't think a taxi is an option given the luggage we will have for three people. The hotel said that a van would cost $135 and a limo would be about $95. They also mentioned a $1.00 per minute waiting fee. They quoted the cost of a taxi at $45.

The hotel also mentioned that it is very, very difficult to get a taxi to take you from the hotel to the pier (about a 10 minute ride) because of all the cruise ship passengers.

Given all these factors, we are wondering if it just wouldn't be better to book one of the hotels offered through the cruise line.

Does anyone have the real scoop on the transportation situation from the airport and to the pier?

We have heard that the lines through customs can be long. I would hate to be paying $1.00 a minute for a transport company for waiting time.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

OMG:eek:

What a scam!!

Firstly, you should be able to book into your hotel early and leave your bags at reception until your room is ready...take the time to go for a walk around.

Secondly, There are taxi vans that will fit all three of you and your luggage into it quite neatly..or take a shuttle bus to your hotel...can get one at the airport. The taxi rank is right out the front and if you let the man at the rank know your requirements, he will hail the van for you.

You can book a taxi the night before, with an arranged time to pick you up in the morning.

Tip the taxi, but don't tip the hotel!!

(Still shaking my head with disbelief)

Karen

First, we stayed at the Marriott...there's no reason why you can't check your bags with the bellman and return later to check into your room. If you wish to relax awhile while waiting there is ample comfortable seating in the lobby area and the hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants and sights including the Opera House and Sydney Harbor bridge as well as a Starbucks around the corner where you can get the caffeine needed to stay awake :)

Re: taxis - there is a dispatcher at the airport who can direct you (3) to a larger taxi that will accommodate your bags. We had no problem getting one. So don't worry about your 'entry' to this wonderful city and, hopefully, get some sleep on the plane so that you can hit the ground running and enjoy every minute.

Re: pier to ship - it's an easy 5 minute walk and, if needed you can do it in 2 trips and not worry about transportation. Have a great trip!

We researched staying at the Marriott Sydney Harbour and would really like to stay there but check in is not until 3:00 PM. The hotel recommends booking a room the night before arrival (so you need to book 2 nights, not just one) to ensure early check in on the day you arrive.
If you can get this hotel for a good price on Priceline, it'll be worth any disadvantages from transport hassles - most of which don't exist, anyway.

On a small sample of two out of two early morning arrivals, my friends and I have scored a 100% success rate with getting straight into a room. So really, unless you absolutely must have a room as soon as you get there and can't tolerate any risk of a single minute of waiting, don't pay for the extra night. If you are in dire straits and really, really need a shower and there is no room available, ask if you can use the shower in the health club. I haven't used it myself, but it must be reasonably decent. Many hotels will gladly offer this for early arrivals who can't yet get into their rooms.

They quoted the cost of a taxi at $45.
Secondly, There are taxi vans that will fit all three of you and your luggage into it quite neatly..or take a shuttle bus to your hotel...can get one at the airport. The taxi rank is right out the front and if you let the man at the rank know your requirements, he will hail the van for you.
One other thing: I believe a taxi van should cost no more than a regular taxi, if taken from the airport. (I think we had this issue a couple of months back.) So don't let the taxi driver try to con you on this.

And AUD 45 for a taxi is a generous allowance. You may find that it doesn't cost nearly that much.

The hotel also mentioned that it is very, very difficult to get a taxi to take you from the hotel to the pier (about a 10 minute ride) because of all the cruise ship passengers.
If your luggage will roll, it is (as Host Sheila says) about 5 - possibly 10 - minutes to walk to the International Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay. It's also one of the most scenic city walks in the world. How many people can say that they strolled over to board their ship whilst gazing on the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge?

• 3 months later...

Thanks Host Sheila, Globaliser and Cloakndagger -

We were busy with preparations for our July Alaska cruise and I never responded to you both.

We booked the Marriott. Your collective supportive comments helped us with our decision knowing that it should not be difficult to secure a taxi from the airport to the hotel and hopefully from the hotel to the pier. Worst thing that happens, we walk to the pier.

Thanks again.

Elaine

I would not be too keen on the train with a lot of luggage as most of the stations on the city loop (as the line in the city centre is called) do not have lifts and you would be lugging cases up the stairs. You also have to get from the station in town to your hotel. The train goes from the airport and then joins the normal city loop so unlike the Heathrow Express for example which is really dedicated to travellers you will have other people getting on and off (a bit like tube trains in London). Given the cost of the train ($12.50 pp one way) depending on how many of you there a taxi may work out more economical. I took one into the city for a little over $20 recently (admitedly not much traffic around).

Has anyone taken the Subway/metro/train from the airport to the Marriot?

It looks pretty doable.

I've done airport <--> Marriott in both directions, with luggage, and I think it's actually very doable.

At the airport, there are lifts right down to platform level, so there's no problem there. There are no changes necessary to get to Circular Quay station, for the Sydney Harbour Marriott. Circular Quay station has lifts from platform level down to street level, and then it's only about 200 metres to walk to the front door of the hotel.

Taking the taxi was easy and quite economical. When we got to the taxi line it looked huge but moved very quickly. It was just the time taken to load everyone. There were lots of taxis available. We were lucky enough to have a room ready for us at check in.

Worst thing that happens, we walk to the pier.

Its actually, not the worst thing its probably the easiest. Its really very close - may be 500 metres and flat.

Sandy, I think you're better off in a taxi than the train. Especially after the long flight.

I've done airport <--> Marriott in both directions, with luggage, and I think it's actually very doable.

At the airport, there are lifts right down to platform level, so there's no problem there. There are no changes necessary to get to Circular Quay station, for the Sydney Harbour Marriott. Circular Quay station has lifts from platform level down to street level, and then it's only about 200 metres to walk to the front door of the hotel.

Thank-you Globaliser - We'll give it a shot!!

• 2 months later...

Archived