Inside Passage Book Recommendation

mmdowns

Hello everyone one, I am surprising my husband with an Alaska Cruise on the NCL Norwegian Star for Christmas this year ( we will be traveling June of 2009). I want to wrap up a book and put under the tree that will be his “tangible” Christmas gift. I am hoping someone out there has a book recommendation, I did some research and there are so many to choose from I was overwhelmed. I am looking for one that will cover the places we will be going to; Sawyer Glacier, Inside passage, Skagway, Prince Rupert, Juneau and Ketchikan. Thanks!

I will recommend two books. First is Alaska by James Michener. I purchased this book and intended to read it before our cruise last month and never got it started. Its a classic and provide a lot of insight into the history of Alaska. If he likes to read this is an excellent choice.

If he doesn't like read then Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond is a great book with lots of pictures and covers all the places cruise ships go and some info on Alaska.

I agree that the Joe Upton book "The Alaska Cruise Handbook - A Mile-by-Mile Guide" is an outstanding book. I just ordered mine from Barnes & Noble. It also has a beautiful, huge pull out map so you can follow your exact journey. I have several Alaska books, but this is, by far, my favorite for reading about Alaska prior to your trip, then following your journey during the cruise. gg

Yes, the book by Anne Vipond, Alaska by Cruise Ship, is a super book. It gives a detailed and interesting narration of the places along the cruise ship route with some background information. :cool:

only if you like fiction. a trully awful book.

to make a positive suggestion...................

john mcphee's "coming into the country"

not really a southeast book. written when the oil money was starting to flow.

and pierre berton's "klondike". it's focused on the '98 goldrush but it will put skagway into perspective. his father was a civil servant at dawson during the turn of the last century. a book that'll make you want to put on another pair of socks, a sweater, and a lap blanket. and make you want to do the gold trail on your next trip to the great land and the yukon.

try Birds of Prey by J. A. Jance.

It's about a murder that takes place on an Alaskan cruise! I read it before I knew I'd be taking an Alaskan cruise. The author mentions many of the places and even the White Pass Railroad -a good little read.

I love mysteries, and I just ordered Birds of Prey. Thanks for the suggestion. We leave in just a few more weeks!

Vada

Archived