Celebrity Solstice Sea Trial Photos

RCCLCARIB

Celebrity Solstice's most electrifying new feature: Solar panels

Comment | Recommend1

yahooBuzzArticleIdBuzz up!

Like this story? Share it with Yahoo! Buzz

solsticesolarium.jpg PAPENBURG, Germany -- On Sunday we offered a first glimpse of the soon-to-debut Celebrity Solstice that included the first photos of its innovative, grass-covered top deck. Now it's time to look at another striking feature of Solstice: The ship's solarium.

solsticesolarium2_2.jpg The sleek and contemporary indoor pool area is capped with a soaring, glass-covered ceiling that is notable for its innovative use of solar panels -- a feature that is both functional and an eye-catching design element.

Richard Fain, the chief executive of Celebrity Cruises' parent company, Royal Caribbean, tells USA TODAY the development of such solar systems for ships is one of several efforts the company is pursuing to bring down energy costs and reduce the company's environmental impact.

RELATED ITEM: A first look at Celebrity Solstice

RELATED ITEM: Celebrity CEO: We won't charge for steaks -- or anything else

CONTEST: Click HERE for a chance to win a free Princess cruise

solsticesolarium3.jpg "The ship uses every type of alternative energy we can think of," says Fain, seen showing off the solarium in the photo above. "It makes good economic sense as well as good environmental sense."

solsticesolarium4.jpg Fain says the solar cells atop the solarium only will produce a small fraction of the power needed to operate the ship. But they were designed in a way that they could be upgraded over time as technology improves to have a bigger impact, he says.

"We see this as future-proofing the vessel," he says. "As the technology improves we can put better and better solar cells up there."

Bringing down energy costs has become a major focus at cruise lines the past year as oil prices have soared to record levels.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=56330289.blog

Celebrity Solstice's most electrifying new feature: Solar panels

Comment | Recommend1

yahooBuzzArticleIdBuzz up!

Like this story? Share it with Yahoo! Buzz

solsticesolarium.jpg PAPENBURG, Germany -- On Sunday we offered a first glimpse of the soon-to-debut Celebrity Solstice that included the first photos of its innovative, grass-covered top deck. Now it's time to look at another striking feature of Solstice: The ship's solarium.

solsticesolarium2_2.jpg The sleek and contemporary indoor pool area is capped with a soaring, glass-covered ceiling that is notable for its innovative use of solar panels -- a feature that is both functional and an eye-catching design element.

Richard Fain, the chief executive of Celebrity Cruises' parent company, Royal Caribbean, tells USA TODAY the development of such solar systems for ships is one of several efforts the company is pursuing to bring down energy costs and reduce the company's environmental impact.

RELATED ITEM: A first look at Celebrity Solstice

RELATED ITEM: Celebrity CEO: We won't charge for steaks -- or anything else

CONTEST: Click HERE for a chance to win a free Princess cruise

solsticesolarium3.jpg "The ship uses every type of alternative energy we can think of," says Fain, seen showing off the solarium in the photo above. "It makes good economic sense as well as good environmental sense."

solsticesolarium4.jpg Fain says the solar cells atop the solarium only will produce a small fraction of the power needed to operate the ship. But they were designed in a way that they could be upgraded over time as technology improves to have a bigger impact, he says.

"We see this as future-proofing the vessel," he says. "As the technology improves we can put better and better solar cells up there."

Bringing down energy costs has become a major focus at cruise lines the past year as oil prices have soared to record levels.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=56330289.blog

that bed looks pretty big, i think it actually makes the cabin look smaller. it looks like it's just a pull out, not like the finished ones in cabins on past ships. thinking something like that is only temporary, or maybe they're not done with them yet?

RCCLCARIB, those are great shots. Thanks for posting.

that bed looks pretty big, i think it actually makes the cabin look smaller. it looks like it's just a pull out, not like the finished ones in cabins on past ships. thinking something like that is only temporary, or maybe they're not done with them yet?

The bed is a bit higher off the ground than usual as a design spec to enable suitcases to fit underneath more easily (Great idea. How many times have I struggled lifting the bed up to put the case there) and that may make them look bigger. Valances haven't been put on yet either.

Phil

RCCLCARIB, those are great shots. Thanks for posting.

The bed is a bit higher off the ground than usual as a design spec to enable suitcases to fit underneath more easily (Great idea. How many times have I struggled lifting the bed up to put the case there) and that may make them look bigger. Valances haven't been put on yet either.

Phil

yeah the valances were more of what i was talking about. i knew they were raising the beds to use the underneath for more storage. i'm traveling with my bf this time so we won't need as much space in closets for clothes and stuff. 2 females take up more room with stuff than a girl and a guy :)

Does anybody know what those two drop down doors in the front of the ship are? I've seen them open in port and always wondered what they were. Was surprised to see them open at sea.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but the Solstice looks a bit top heavy to me. Not as good looking a ship as the M class in my opinion. And I miss the X on the funnel.

I think it looks a little stockier tham the M-Class ships, but we're only going to be seeing it once (we're on the cruise to nowhere, Nov 21-23)

Linda, take a look at my ship summary in my signature. The old 'Henry Gibbons'; those were the days

I'm taking my first Celebrity cruise on Celebrity Solstice. I've been on Royal Caribbean a lot. I know what to expect when I go on a Royal Caribbean cruise. But, I'm trying Celebrity for fun. I don't really need the sports deck. I didn't go up there once on my last cruise. ;) I'm trying Celebrity for something different. I've been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean mainly. However, we haven't gone back to Carnival after trying Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line. Hopefully I can add Celebrity to the list after my cruise in March. :) I'm cruising in March instead of the summer too.

I think it looks a little stockier tham the M-Class ships, but we're only going to be seeing it once (we're on the cruise to nowhere, Nov 21-23)

Linda, take a look at my ship summary in my signature. The old 'Henry Gibbons'; those were the days

Hi, fendbass!

I would have grabbed the cruise to nowhere, but couldn't find reasonable airfare or get a ticket with miles. Enjoy! Look forward to everyones' reports. Think I'm likely to stick to my M class favorites and my "secret" concierge class cabin that is larger than those on the Solstice and has a way larger deck!

Those were definitely the days on the Gibbons, etc. For us, those were cruises--we were being transported from one place to another. And, of course, we thought the ships were wonderful--who knew what was to come. Did you get to stop in Cuba on your way to Puerto Rico? We did and it was beautiful. Looks as if you were in Puerto Rico just after we were. Was just back in Puerto Rico on the Millie--we were sad to see that our houses had been razed--what a great location that was! Oceanfront with moats to play in--what more could a kid ask? Now that area is a national historic site--San Cristobal.

We stopped at Guantanamo on our first trip down to PR in 1956, before the recent unpleasantness started. I was only in 4th grade, don't remember much.

My dad was stationed at Ft Brooke, and we lived at Ft Buchanan. I tell people about the golf course at Ft Brooke which included a hole down in the moat of El Morro. My brother played there a few years ago, says that hole is no longer there.

Its all open space now where the hospital used to be. I hope to get down there some day

Once on the Gibbons, I was exploring, and managed to walk right onto the bridge. We could get away with that back then

Hi, fendbass,

Small world. My dad was at the hospital in Ft. Brooke. And played almost every day on the golf course (he was a scratch golfer). Also, the officer's club pool was there on the El Morro grounds. We have movies of our crossing the golf course when leaving the pool. All of that is gone now.

My sister, who cruises with me, lives just down the road from you in Cape Coral. We usually cruise with a bunch of Army brats we went to school with in Augsburg, Germany. Started with a cruise to Alaska when we couldn't figure out where to have our next reunion and got hooked.

I notice you've done the Panama Canal transit on the Millie. We're going on the Connie in January 2010. Any tips for us?

If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you some pictures of what El Morro looks like today. lajessen at yahoo dot com.

Hi, fendbass!

I would have grabbed the cruise to nowhere, but couldn't find reasonable airfare or get a ticket with miles. Enjoy! Look forward to everyones' reports. Think I'm likely to stick to my M class favorites and my "secret" concierge class cabin that is larger than those on the Solstice and has a way larger deck!

Those were definitely the days on the Gibbons, etc. For us, those were cruises--we were being transported from one place to another. And, of course, we thought the ships were wonderful--who knew what was to come. Did you get to stop in Cuba on your way to Puerto Rico? We did and it was beautiful. Looks as if you were in Puerto Rico just after we were. Was just back in Puerto Rico on the Millie--we were sad to see that our houses had been razed--what a great location that was! Oceanfront with moats to play in--what more could a kid ask? Now that area is a national historic site--San Cristobal.

You mind telling me your secret cabin? I promise I won't sail with you and take yours?? You can email me at sburbank35@aol.com

Thanks so much!

You mind telling me your secret cabin?

I'm assuming the cabins referred to are the CC's that are tucked in amongst the suites on the M class. They have the teak decking, as well as deeper decks than average and the suite cabin stewards (the most highly rated).

You can keep those. I'll take the aft CC's. :)

I'm assuming the cabins referred to are the CC's that are tucked in amongst the suites on the M class. They have the teak decking, as well as deeper decks than average and the suite cabin stewards (the most highly rated).

You can keep those. I'll take the aft CC's. :)

What do you like particularly about the aft CCs? They look intriguing to me too, but I'm not sure if I should settle for the Sunset Veranda. Thanks.

BC

Does anybody know what those two drop down doors in the front of the ship are? I've seen them open in port and always wondered what they were. Was surprised to see them open at sea.

Those doors lead out from the forecastle, which is where the anchor windlass and ship's forward mooring lines are kept. The doors are actually platforms that assist crewmembers when anchoring or docking.

It is nearly impossible for the bridge to see the bow the way it is curved in at the front, so this "platform" allows the crewmembers that much more visibility of the forward portion of the ship.

In addition, the crew can throw tender lines for the mooring lines and see the anchor & chain from this location.

I do agree, though, that it is surprising to see them open while at sea. She has scuffs where the anchor comes up, so maybe they were recently testing the anchors?

What do you like particularly about the aft CCs? They look intriguing to me too, but I'm not sure if I should settle for the Sunset Veranda. Thanks.

IIRC, there were no SV's on the M class. It was either CC or FV. In CC, you get double cruise credits, an incredible breakfast menu for in-room dining, a lot of "little" things that help make a vacation something special, and, on the M class ships, a GINORMOUS balcony. We had two chairs, a table, two loungers, and a small table out there, and we still had PLENTY of room. Plus, you have the incredible view of the wake of the ship as it powers you off to your next destination. While enjoying the balcony, you have next to no wind, even when the ship is moving at speed.

While it looks like the Solstice class ships won't have the huge balcony, we're still booked in an Aft CC on Equinox next year. Depending on what the first folks on Solstice say, we may change, but I wouldn't count on it. :)

Archived