Questions About Tipping on Cunard Ships!

The Real PM

Last March we went on a thirteen day cruise to the Caribbean aboard the QM2. It never crossed my mind to tip additionally, seeing that tips were automatically deducted. Now I have begun to hear that many passengers tip in addition to those automatic tips. I feel a bit regretful that I didn't include an extra amount, but feel the automatic tip was really quite adequate and wonder why some want to tip an extra amount, making the rest of us look stingy? If everyone stuck to the automatic tipping, then no one would even need to worry about tipping at all.

Last March we went on a thirteen day cruise to the Caribbean aboard the QM2. It never crossed my mind to tip additionally, seeing that tips were automatically deducted. Now I have begun to hear that many passengers tip in addition to those automatic tips. I feel a bit regretful that I didn't include an extra amount, but feel the automatic tip was really quite adequate and wonder why some want to tip an extra amount, making the rest of us look stingy? If everyone stuck to the automatic tipping, then no one would even need to worry about tipping at all.

How can you be so cheap? Think about it $11/day (or $13 for those of us in the Grills) is hardly a sufficient gratuity for all those dining room and cabin staff that make your voyage so enjoyable. Above and beyond the automatic tip we typically give $10/day for our cabin steward and for our waiter with additional gratuities to the butler, bus boy, head waiter and even the maitre d. If you want to stick to the automatic tip that is fine but don't expect the rest of us to follow in your footsteps.

I think we are off to the races again...How long (minutes/hours or days until we are on page 2 of this thread?)

I dont mind tipping the $11US a day, $22 US = approx $30 Australian (for 2)....but due to the low exchange rate that will be all, i am sorry to say.

We are on a 28 day cruise so it will be almost $1,000 AUS. Then there is the extra for cabin staff...

Nah...call me stingy, call me a tightwad and any other name...but in todays economic climate...that is a lot to an average Australian.

Cheers

sharon

What you give or think fit to give is a private arrangement. So what if they think you're stingy!

When you and Bob are sailing on the same cruise and word has gotten round - just take a note of who gets the best service - that may be the answer.

How can you be so cheap? Think about it $11/day (or $13 for those of us in the Grills) is hardly a sufficient gratuity for all those dining room and cabin staff that make your voyage so enjoyable. Above and beyond the automatic tip we typically give $10/day for our cabin steward and for our waiter with additional gratuities to the butler, bus boy, head waiter and even the maitre d. If you want to stick to the automatic tip that is fine but don't expect the rest of us to follow in your footsteps.

I think we are off to the races again...How long (minutes/hours or days until we are on page 2 of this thread?)

Unless a passenger is an experienced cruiser, how would one know that many others tip in addition to the "charged to your account tips" and the 15% tip added to drinks purchases? Cunard tells you that a per day per passenger amount is added to your account and that is to cover tips.

Having said that, being experienced with Cunard and as a result of what I have read on this forum, we did tip a modest extra amount to our cabin and dining room staff on our last crossing which was our first voyage since the new tipping policy commenced. But I suggest most passengers wouldn't expect to do that.

Unless a passenger is an experienced cruiser, how would one know that many others tip in addition to the "charged to your account tips" and the 15% tip added to drinks purchases? Cunard tells you that a per day per passenger amount is added to your account and that is to cover tips.

Having said that, being experienced with Cunard and as a result of what I have read on this forum, we did tip a modest extra amount to our cabin and dining room staff on our last crossing which was our first voyage since the new tipping policy commenced. But I suggest most passengers wouldn't expect to do that.

I need to explain...The RealPM and I have an ongoing slightly humerus (at least to us) conversation about tipping on board and we try to outdo each other with our wit...obviously others may take our comments too seriously. Sorry if anyone was offended...sort of the nature of these boards

I don't know if you were talking to me, but I thought that the "automatic tip" was meant to be enough. It wasn't until I got back and began reading these boards that I realized that many passengers, who were quite proud to announce just how much they had tipped in addition to the Cunard automatic tip, that I thought I may have been remiss.

I am an experienced cruiser, however, it was my first on a ship that added the tip to the bill. It was my first cruise for fourteen years, so meanwhile lots of things had changed.:)

Gail

I generally give a little extra but it depends on the situation. I once had a room steward who did only the basics. She was pleasant but not friendly like I've experienced with others. Same with dining room staff, it depends on their service and attitude.

I don't know if you were talking to me, but I thought that the "automatic tip" was meant to be enough. It wasn't until I got back and began reading these boards that I realized that many passengers, who were quite proud to announce just how much they had tipped in addition to the Cunard automatic tip, that I thought I may have been remiss.

I am an experienced cruiser, however, it was my first on a ship that added the tip to the bill. It was my first cruise for fourteen years, so meanwhile lots of things had changed.:)

Gail

You know I am pro tipping but for basic service the base tip is sufficient. I always have a personal problem that on every ship I have been on that I tip extra for room service but Cunard specifically says that the tipping pool includes room service but I sometimes give them extra as well(pretty much always). If the service is above the minimum I leave extra if it is just ok I leave that alone. Cunard lets you adjust it downward...which I never have on any ship that has it.

of course there are some people NOT in the tipping pool they should be tipped according to the service they provide(Butlers, etc)

Having worked summers in my youth as a server in a resort, I have always considered myself to be aware of what is involved in providing good service and, consequently, to be a generous tipper for good service. It seems to me that the guidelines provided by Cunard are very clear. The automatic tip covers adequate but unexceptional service; additional tipping is appropriate where service has been exceptional. If my cabin is cleaned but I have no special requests of the the attendant and rarely if see him or her I do not tip extra. On the other hand if I ask initially for ice to be provided twice a day, have frequent cleaning to be sent out, and or require the room to be made up more often than normal and these request are complied with cheerfully and without having to be repeated I gladly tip extra. Similarly in the dining room. If the server remembers my food preferences after the first few meals, makes suggestions as requested, paces the meal well, etc. I am delighted to tip him/her and assistants extra. Also, if I frequent a particular bar and the barman or server routinely remembers my preferences I tip extra. It seems to me that this is exactly in keeping with Cunard's tipping guidelines.

I generally give a little extra but it depends on the situation. I once had a room steward who did only the basics. She was pleasant but not friendly like I've experienced with others. Same with dining room staff, it depends on their service and attitude.

Thank you for putting it so well, my attitude exactly.

I didn't think anyone on our last QM2 warranted any extra tip. They did what they had to do but not many seemed to be enjoying their job. When asking one waiter why the breakfast was slow arriving (Britannia) he replied that we shouldn't come at the busy time. One night I had to ask twice for the wine waiter to come, his excuse....he was busy at the Captains table!

I think they have too many Eastern Europeans working onboard now. They aren't service orientated like eg. people from the far east. Our assistant waiter was from Russia and she didn't have a very good attitude although she did what was required.

I didn't think anyone on our last QM2 warranted any extra tip. They did what they had to do but not many seemed to be enjoying their job. When asking one waiter why the breakfast was slow arriving (Britannia) he replied that we shouldn't come at the busy time. One night I had to ask twice for the wine waiter to come, his excuse....he was busy at the Captains table!

I think they have too many Eastern Europeans working onboard now. They aren't service orientated like eg. people from the far east. Our assistant waiter was from Russia and she didn't have a very good attitude although she did what was required.

I personally enjoyed the eastern Europeans. Why does one need more than what is required, anyway?

I personally enjoyed the eastern Europeans. Why does one need more than what is required, anyway?

I was refering to tipping over what was already charged to our room. I did not mean I needed more, just that they weren't worth tipping extra. They were adequate but not exceptional like on HAL for example where we were very happy to give extra.

Came off QV last thursday. Have posted a review which was not complimentary as regards service.

Yes I do tip the "added to your account" and yes I would tip extra to anyone who does give me that "little extra service" On the QV this was only my cabin attendant who was exellent. I can attest to the fact that in the dinning room at breakfasdt it did not matter what the time, you were very lucky if you received that which you ordered, waiters did not speak very good English, did not write down the "orders" and relied on the memmory of the waiter relaying what he remembered to the assist. waiter who took the information to the kitchen - relying again on memory.

Wine steward tried to charge me $15 to uncork the bottle of wine CUNARD gave me when I took it to share at the table ( I travel solo and cannot drink a whole bottle )

Was not pleased when he argued that "it is company policy" which I knew to be incorrect.

Next night I was going to order myself a bottle of Ast Spumante, but when I told him that I would wanted to drink it over three nights he informed me that was not possible to do that with Asti (even though I have done that several times on QM2) Clearly this man was not worthy of anything extra.

Cafe Carinthia, here you could wait and wait and wait for service while the staff stood chatting to each other. About the third day I went in, did usual wait, and then asked for "just an Almond Croissant" to be told very rudely I might add "you HAVE to buy a drink if you wish to have food" Again not true of course

Jan 26th at 10.30a.m (we were still a whole day away from disembarkation ) but when asked for "hot chocolate and an Almond Croissant" I was told "We do not have chocolate or croissants today, it is the last day of the cruise" Since when does service cease when we are still one day at sea?

By the way I was on the first segment of the world cruise, so those doing the 104 days of the world cruise were supposed to do without because some of the passengers were disembarking at LA next day?

I wish we could return to the old style of tipping , service would I feel sure improve if the automatic tipping pool was scrapped.

I, too, experienced a lot of this on the same cruise. It is the first time ever that I've not tipped just about everyone extra. And I reported on another website in my review that I've never seen such an apparently unhappy group of people working on a ship. Something is definitely amiss.

And having seen Jimsgirl's recent report on QV, it is apparently the case there too.

Let's hope that someone from Cunard reads these boards. I did relate the information on my cruise evaluation card.

I, too, experienced a lot of this on the same cruise. It is the first time ever that I've not tipped just about everyone extra. And I reported on another website in my review that I've never seen such an apparently unhappy group of people working on a ship. Something is definitely amiss.

And having seen Jimsgirl's recent report on QV, it is apparently the case there too.

Let's hope that someone from Cunard reads these boards. I did relate the information on my cruise evaluation card.

Hi Bettie.....

My experience on the Dec 9th Caribbean was just the opposite in every respect. Either I"m very lucky or there was a crew turnover between our trips. Dining room waiter & asst the best we've ever had...simply superlative and totally attuned to their tables and passengers. One evening we told our waitress we had a commitment and HAD to be out by 10PM. She paced our meal perfectly, we never felt rushed but at 10PM we were out the door and had enjoyed excellent service.

Room steward was unobtrusive but managed to seek me out almost twice a day to make sure everything was perfect and could he do anything more for me.

Commodore Club exceptional...never had better service or more attentive servers. Both Sheldon and Monika bent over backwards whenever we came in and we left White Star cards for both, as we did as well for our dining room servers. We aren't in the habit of handing them out lightly I might add. We don't frequent the other bars often as we love the CC but on the occasions we stopped for a drink in the Golden Lion we were served rapidly and pleasantly.

I was also on the final tandem crossing in Oct and have to say I found the service of a very high standard then as well. Including lunch in Britannia which I did every day but one and at different times. Never did breakfast there, I"m a room service gal in the morning but even that arrived within 5 minutes of the requested time every morning.

I'm afraid I can't agree with the remarks about Eastern Europeans as I have found the ones I've come in contact with to be friendly and very professional. I've not encountered any whose English wasn't good. Both of my dining room servers, on both the cruise and the crossing were Eastern Europeans and I thought them delightful.

As to tipping extra.....guilty...when deserved for going beyond the expected. Which has always seemed to be the case for me. And I"m happy to do it when I feel they have earned it.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Penny,

Sheldon and Monika were exceptional and were tipped accordingly. Our waiter, Paul, made a couple of big mistakes--failed to take the order of one of our regular tablemates, delivered wine that belonged to someone else at the table to another tablemate--but I did give him a little extra tip. These 3 were the only ones that received anything extra from me.

And room service orders were wrong almost every day at breakfast time. Ask my roommate about this one!

I've always left nice notes for my room steward if anything was needed and the notes this time were ignored most of the time. As to the Eastern Europeans, I agree with you with the exception of our room steward.

The one thing that stood out just about everywhere except with Monika and Sheldon was that almost none of the crew were smiling--something I've never seen on other cruises.

Bettie

Edited by Wheretonext???

I can relate to Where to Next's post. I was on the 3rd Jan cruise. Our first time on QM2 and would definitely cruise on her again. Loved the ship. However, I felt slightly let down, maybe I believed too much of the hype around their service etc. Our room steward did not understand hardly anything I said to her. One day I was sitting on the balcony and was startled when she came through from the next balcony to clean the floor!

The afternoon tea was often served cakes first. Plus many in the Queens room were wearing beach wear. Just not what I expected.

I wrote a full review on the review page which has yet to show up.

I have written to Ms Marlow, because there were too many "mistakes or mishaps" on the QV NYC to LA Jan 10th cruise to be overlooked.

The ship is most attractive, my cabin was an upgrade and my attendant was excellent, but as for the rest, I hope that Ms Marlow does get to read my letter, it was factual,and exact .

Something is not right on the QV do not know if it cost cutting , too few staff, or new staff from other shipping lines.

My TV picture and sound failed, though the set had power, could not report to Pursers desk , I got a recorded message saying they were not accepting phone calls and to call my cabin steward!

Long story but gist is this, I went in person and made a verbal report but the reports were "mishandled" and three times a man came to "fix broken lights" , not one of the three came to "fix TV".

Got three different sets of different coloured tags and told to report to three different rooms at three different times for Jan 27. disembarkation. Left hand did not know what right hand was doing.

I heard from other passengers of toilets that did not flush, staterooms not serviced Incorrect meals at mealtimes, once I ordered 2 English Wiltshire sausages, 2 halves tomatoe, and baked beans. Got 1 fried egg, 1 thin American link sausage, 1 half tomatoe and zero baked beans! That was one mixed up order.

Room service, I ordered Hot Chocolate and English "biscuits" (cookies to Americans) for one, but received TEA for 2 and no biscuits. !. Again I wonder how such a simple order could be incorrect.

As for disembarkation, the wheelchair passengers were left cold miserable and without aid for hours and I do mean hours, many of us were left without any aid, not even a glass of water, let alone juice or coffee for over 3 hours!! Finally two able bodied passengers went to the Lido and fetched us hot drinks. Yet there were TWO STAFFERS in the room with us DRINKING COFFEE, GOSSIPING, TEXTING to their friends for the whole 3 hours , they had a list of our names but did not even speak to us let alone check on our well being.

The "add to your account and share with everyone method of tipping " encourages the lazy and indifferent whilst cutting back rewards for those who derserve recognition.

By the way as anyone who has spoken to me knows my English is very correct and very

precise, no one can mistake anything I say.

I have 3 cruises booked on QM2, I do so hope things will be better on that ship.

What you give or think fit to give is a private arrangement. So what if they think you're stingy!

When you and Bob are sailing on the same cruise and word has gotten round - just take a note of who gets the best service - that may be the answer.

Like Gail, I didn't realise that one added tips to the "required tips" on my first trip. I too took Cunard at their word. Clearly the Gnat would regard me as a cheapskate. But there is not the tipping mania in the UK that there is in the US, and certainly competitive tipping is frowned on.

I returned a few months later. Greeted like a long lost friend. But that was QE2.

How can you be so cheap? Think about it $11/day (or $13 for those of us in the Grills) is hardly a sufficient gratuity for all those dining room and cabin staff that make your voyage so enjoyable.

So why do Cunard suggest that it is sufficient?

Fear not Gail - you have done nothing wrong.

I think they have too many Eastern Europeans working onboard now. They aren't service orientated like eg. people from the far east.

Dangerous ground. Is it the done thing to suggest that "they" do anything in a general sense?

But, addressing the point, my experience of waiting staff on Cunarders has been very good. I've had a selection from the UK, France, South Africa, Eastern Europe, Russia, India and the far east. All excellent. Most considerably better than that in fact. And at least one real star from Eastern Europe who I'd have been very pleased to have employed myself at home!!