Roller Coaster at Labadee?????

How did I miss this? So does anyone have any info about the coaster at Labadee? I would have thought there would have been an outpouring of angry posts about this...yet there aren't.

So Royal Caribbean is seriously putting a roller coaster at Labadee?

http://www.travelpulse.com/Resources/Editorial.aspx?n=49881

How did you guys let me miss this? :eek:

There was a good-sized discussion about 3-4 months ago about this. It's not really a traditional roller coaster with a lift hill, turns and bunny hills, etc. It's more an alpine coaster.... get to the top and ride your own cart with braking ability to the bottom along some rails.

Of course there are those who think it sounds like fun, and there are those who think it sounds horrid. Which can't be a surprise to anyone.

I think on another thread about this someone commented that it would not be like a traditional roller coaster, but more of an alpine slide (similar to Bobsled, but not on snow). If so, it would blend in more with the natural scenary at Labadee. Not sure if this is true or not, but recall one or two people stating this on a prior thread.

Yea Royal Caribbean was really quiet about this, wierd haha :D

But supposedly it is coming in December!!!

I am AMAZED that CCers have been so quiet about it. :eek: With all of the $14.95 steak and $4.95 Johnny Rockets posts, how did you all fail to mention that RCCL is turning Labadee into a theme park???? :eek:

So you complain about an extra dollar for JR's but you don't mention the roller coaster screaming through our little beach paradise? :eek:

I'm shocked!

I am AMAZED that CCers have been so quiet about it. :eek: With all of the $14.95 steak and $4.95 Johnny Rockets posts, how did you all fail to mention that RCCL is turning Labadee into a theme park???? :eek:

So you complain about an extra dollar for JR's but you don't mention the roller coaster screaming through our little beach paradise? :eek:

I'm shocked!

Its actually been discussed and whined about (by me anyway ;) ) in a couple of threads, although none recently, and I think the threads were more about the new pier, and just veered off a bit.

The first time I went to Labadee I thought it was a nice little beach day, Very quaint.

With the addition of zip lines, piers, roller coasters...eh, not so much . In fact, not at all. And I won't even mention the chaos when they start dumping off passengers from the Behemoth. Wait...I just did.

But I'll see for myself in a couple of weeks. ;)

Is that enough whining and complaining Michelle? I can continue if you wish.;)

Hideaway Beach was my favorite spot in Labadee until they ripped it apart. I got off the ship in January for about 1.5 hours and headed back to the ship. I want paradise at a private beach, not rides and attractions.

I couldn't agree more.

Is that enough whining and complaining Michelle? I can continue if you wish.;)

HAHAHAHAHA, no that's enough for now. ;):D

The next time they make a monumental decision like this, someone please take the time to whine about it enough for me to see, ok? :p

Ya know, those over at the Disney Boards always joked that Disney was going to add a coaster to Castaway Cay...who knew that Royal would do it first? :eek:

And the reports says it's a "thrilling roller coaster experience". We'll see.

And this should tell people who Royal Caribbean is now targeting for their business. FAMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is where they are directing their marketing dollars. Ships are getting larger and larger with more features that kids will want to try out. For those wanting a more traditional cruise, then RCCL is trying to move people up to Celebrity or Azamara. Why some cannot figure this out is beyone me. Either accept the changes or move on. I don't see them turning back to keep a few people happy.

And this should tell people who Royal Caribbean is now targeting for their business. FAMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, usually I celebrate those moves....obviously...lol...but I hope Royal Caribbean doesn't alienate those cruisers without kids. They won't be able to fill up all of the ships with just family cruisers. So we need "adult only" cruisers too.

I don't want anyone to jump over to Celebrity.

Question:

I have never been to Labadee. Have been to Coco Cay.

When you say private-does it mean the people only on that cruise are there like Coco Cay.

Is it a private section of beach or private small Island off Haiti??

Only people from the cruise are there.

We had a beautiful beach day there last Friday. I could see the pier under construction. There was also another area where excavating was being done. We were on "Nellie's Beach" and the area was to the right of us, past the lunch venue and around a corner at the base of the hill that has the zipline on top. I probably should have asked a question or two, but I was too happy enjoying the sunshine. (Our first few days were rainy and windy.)

This will be another example of my bemoaning the apparently lost art of just relaxing.

I like the changes that are memtioned in the article, including the Alpine Coaster. It looks like fun. I love Labadee, but I get board after a few hours in the sun. I think it is great idea. Labadee is actually a pretty big place.

Don't forget that there will still be lots of Oasis passengers who will stay on the ship.

Question:

I have never been to Labadee. Have been to Coco Cay.

When you say private-does it mean the people only on that cruise are there like Coco Cay.

Is it a private section of beach or private small Island off Haiti??

Labadee is for Royal Caribbean guests only. It is a penisula in Haiti. There is a fence (guarded by men with guns...lol) that keeps the area divided. I have heard about the fence, but never looked for it for myself. So it's not glaringly obvious that the fence is there.

The area is pretty large. So I can see how they can have all of these extras and have it not really effect the beach area. But even those ziplines go across the water. So when I take a picture of the beautiful private beach - I have ziplines going across my pictures. :rolleyes:

I guess it would make sense for people who don't "do the beach".

But at this point, I like CocoCay more because it is a beach, plain and simple. :D

I loved Coco Cay and from what I have been reading would love Labadee.

At Coco Cay I could let my older teens be what they thought[lol] on their own a bit. Seems like the same could be said for Labadee.

I'm thinking they would be lovin' that roller coaster!!

I saw the Zip line and WOW!!! :D

After my Serenade trip-I may have to look into a cruise that stops there!!:)

How did I miss this? So does anyone have any info about the coaster at Labadee? I would have thought there would have been an outpouring of angry posts about this...yet there aren't.

It must be well hidden, we were there a few weeks ago and while there were many signs of construction, we did not notice anything like a roller coaster or alpine ride. Maybe it is off towards where the zip line tower is. If that is the case, it won't be obvious when you are on the beach.

I am particularly sad to see Hideaway Beach gone (it is where the pier is going). It was our favourite spot at Labadee.

Mike

Archived