Is Princess eliminating San Diego?

JudithLynne

I notice that in the near future that both HAL and Princess will not have ships going out of San Diego to the Mexican Riviera. It looks like LA or SF are the two choices. Does anyone have any information on this? We love to sail out of San Diego and try to avoid LA at all costs and are very disappointed. I have a feeling that we are not the only ones that feel this way.

Judith

You do still have the Carnival Spirit and Elation for now and the Carnival Pride will be relocated to San Diego when the Carnival Liberty comes out to be stationed in Long Beach. Also, there's the Mariner of the Seas coming to LA next Feb.

I haven't heard that the Oosterdam is leaving. I see that's it's still scheduled to do the Mex. Riv. in Feb. 2009 out of San Diego until Feb. 28, 2009 when it'll start a San Diego to FLL itinerary. The Dawn is heading to Australia.

I do understand what you're saying - we much, much prefer sailing out of San Diego too.

I checked next October's searchlight on princess.com just to see where the ships will be deployed. There are two ships going to the MR, one out of LA and the other out of SF, so the SD one was eliminated. There are more ships going to the South Pacific/Asia/Australia area, so maybe that area is the new "Alaska" as far as Princess is concerned. Considering that Carnival and RC basically sail the MR cruises all year round, and a few cruiselines additionally go in the fall thru mid-Spring (HAL, NCL and Princess and maybe others), it's not surprising that Princess is trying to keep their sailings different.

There may be some changes to upcoming itineraries, especially those from the west coast if NCL gets their way with the proposed Customs and Border Protection change (check out the long thread on "Ask a cruise question"). It will be a bad thing.

You do still have the Carnival Spirit and Elation for now and the Carnival Pride will be relocated to San Diego when the Carnival Liberty comes out to be stationed in Long Beach. Also, there's the Mariner of the Seas coming to LA next Feb.

I haven't heard that the Oosterdam is leaving. I see that's it's still scheduled to do the Mex. Riv. in Feb. 2009 out of San Diego until Feb. 28, 2009 when it'll start a San Diego to FLL itinerary. The Dawn is heading to Australia.

I do understand what you're saying - we much, much prefer sailing out of San Diego too.

Carnival Splendor is going to Long Beach in 2009, NOT Carnival Liberty

Princess is doing a major overhaul of the Australia/New Zealand market (will have ship(s) down there pretty much year round starting later this year), which is going to affect their ship deployments. They will be doing cruises down there in which the Aussie dollar is the onboard currency, and the itineraries will be geared to Australian citizens, and Dawn is going to be doing some of those.

Parent Company Carnival investing $12 Million in new Terminal for San Diego, I'm sure there's a future for Princess in San Diego.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/local;id=10619

January 9, 2008

The San Diego Port Commission has voted in favor of spending $23 million on a new cruise ship terminal at the foot of Broadway. However it remains unclear where that money will come from. KPBS reporter Alison St John has more.

Carnival Cruises has agreed to pay $12 million towards the cruise ship terminal, but that will only pay for an unsightly prefab warehouse building, which would ruin the visionary plans for San Diego's downtown waterfront.

Critics object to building any terminal on the Broadway pier which is a center piece for the Embarcadero. But the cruise ship industry is bringing millions of dollars to San Diego's economy, so Port Commissioners approved an upgraded architectural design estimated to cost $23 million. Commissioner Laurie Black

Carnival Splendor is going to Long Beach in 2009, NOT Carnival Liberty

Sorry, that's what I meant. ;) The Splendor will arrive in LB after it's Around-the-Cape repo cruise in early 2009. It's basically following the Mariner as it repositions from Port Canaveral to the Port of LA. We'll have 2 huge newish ships in the LA area! :)

Sorry, that's what I meant. ;) The Splendor will arrive in LB after it's Around-the-Cape repo cruise in early 2009. It's basically following the Mariner as it repositions from Port Canaveral to the Port of LA. We'll have 2 huge newish ships in the LA area! :)

Don't ever let it happen again. :D

Archived