Captain's Table

I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but when I search it came up empty. How does one get selected to sit at the Captain's Table for dinner? Thanks.

Everyone seems to have their own theory. The way we were selected was the concierge , she called the Matri'd and set it up thru our request. At our table there was one couple that got randomly asked because they needed two more people. A couple that was doing a back to back cruise, and another couple that was celebrating there 50th (they even gave them a cake and we all sang). Your best bet is to speak to the Matri'd.

Thank you for your help. Very interesting. I was just wondering, as we are in a Owner's Suite(first time) and someone told us that we may be "chosen". thanks again for the link.

If you read the whole thread, you can see there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Some are convinced it's how many cruises, others say because they were diamond status and a whole lot of other theories were offered. I don't think there's any criteria that's a slam dunk.

I don't know if this is your first cruise , I don't know if an owners suite qualifies. Frequent cruising seems to help. On my 50th Birthday, my husband did everything to get an invite, finally we got an invite with the Staff Captain on the last night of the cruise. This was our eight cruise

Our first cruise with RC we were chosen to sit at the captains table. It was me, DH, sister and niece. As we were boarding the woman taking my nieces info was asking her some questions, and about 2 nights later she (my niece and her mother) were asked to sit at the captains table. My niece informed them she was traveling with an aunt and uncle and they included us. It was nice. I just figured someone liked my niece:D :D

If you read the whole thread, you can see there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Some are convinced it's how many cruises, others say because they were diamond status and a whole lot of other theories were offered. I don't think there's any criteria that's a slam dunk.

I did read the whole thread. I was just pointing out what I had been told. This is also not our first cruise with RCCL.

Have dined with the Captain on previous occasions but this past New Year's cruise was unique. Our table for 8 was next to the captain's table. maitre D' approached us at the end of dinner the first evening, asked if we all knew each other. Told him, no we were all strangers prior to dinner. He said we seemed to enjoy each others company and would we ALL like to join the Captain for New year's Eve dinner. Of course we all said yes.

Next evening,, moved one table and dined with the captain and his wife. But, interestingly, they back filled our table with other guests. Could only conclude they did not want an emply table by the Captain.

Being New Year's Eve,it is an understatement...a good time was had by all.

Our table was an interesting mix...Newly wed couple, Diamond Plus couple, first timers from England, and us (we were in a suite).

So which seating the captain eats at...?

early or late...and is it even in the dining room where everyone else is at?

Is it just one night he goes there/??

It depends on the Captain as it varies from ship to ship. Sometimes the Captain delegates the responsibility of hosting the Captain's table to one of his officers or the Hotel Director.

THE REAL ANSWER IS:

Each Captain is different, and the choice HE makes for HIS table is 100% up to HIM

(don't know of any female captains, but sure I have "offended" someone).

I learned from RCI's corporate office that the dining room is arranged by a VERY complex computer program that inputs LOTS of data about each passenger. The program analyses all that data and tries to put the proper mix for compatablility at each table. You can read several threads about how well or how badly this works, but, the point is ALL the tables in the DiningRoom are arranged by a department in RCI's corporate office. They can then be re-arranged by the Maitre D as needed.

EXCEPT FOR:

The Captain's Table - owned and operated by the Captain.

Corporate Office or the Maitre D has no say-so over who sits at the Captain's table (sure they can ask the Captain)- Only the Captain decides who and when. That's probably why there is so little consistency to "how do you get invited".

It's because:

Each Captain is different, and the choice HE makes for HIS table is 100% up to HIM.

Hope This Helps.

THE REAL ANSWER IS:

Each Captain is different, and the choice HE makes for HIS table is 100% up to HIM

I learned from RCI's corporate office that the dining room is arranged by a VERY complex computer program that inputs LOTS of data about each passenger. The program analyses all that data and tries to put the proper mix for compatablility at each table. You can read several threads about how well or how badly this works, but, the point is ALL the tables in the DiningRoom are arranged by a department in RCI's corporate office. They can then be re-arranged by the Maitre D as needed.

EXCEPT FOR:

Corporate Office or the Maitre D has no say-so over who sits at the Captain's table (sure they can ask the Captain)- Only the Captain decides who and when. That's probably why there is so little consistency to "how do you get invited".

It's because:

Each Captain is different, and the choice HE makes for HIS table is 100% up to HIM.

Hope This Helps.

We were specifically invited to sit at the Captain's table by the Maitre d' in the Concierge Lounge. :)

THE REAL ANSWER IS:

This makes sense. It always seemed that we were always sitting with another family that had children the around the same age as our daughter.

Very interesting about the Captain picking what he wants. So, Am I to understand that what you are saying that each Captain has his own criteria of whom he wants at the table.

A number of years ago, my folks were on a Princess Alaska cruise, as part of an AMA convention. They were celebrating their 35th Anniversary that year, and unbeknownst to them the AMA representative on the cruise told the chef d'hotel who was able to arrange dinner w/ the captain one evening. To say that they had a blast would be an understatement.

Michael

THE REAL ANSWER IS:

EXCEPT FOR:

It's because:

Hope This Helps.

my Sister and her husband were on the Adventure in the Caribbean for his 65th birthday and their friend who works for RCCL arranged for them to be at the Captains table,,,came as a great surprise and they loved it.

Monarch OTS has Capt Karin Stahre-Janson. RCI also has another female staff captain (on Mariner?) almost ready to be promoted to master.

TJukka once posted that her husand looks over the passenger manifest to see if there's anyone he knows, then gives the list to her to see if there's anyone she knows and that's who they invite. If there's nobody then the Captain can either not dine at the Captains Table or have the Social Hostesss or CD or Maitre 'D invite people.

The Captains table only really exists on formal night. TJ said (and this is for Navigator OTS that she's talking about) the first formal night the captains table is at late seating the the second its at main seating.

on other nights he may just dine in his quarters or the officers mess

I'm pretty sure this has been answered before, but when I search it came up empty. How does one get selected to sit at the Captain's Table for dinner? Thanks.

It helps if your female partner/friend is goog looking,

A young (but legal) cruising companion with low cut attire. :D

Your post brought a smile to my face. You should see the picture I have from the night we ate with the Captain. Mrs Captain wassn't at the table and a few of the lovelies may not have been either, if she were. The gentlemen looked like they all had their daughters with them. People rudely bothered the captain for pictures all thru dinner.

THE REAL ANSWER IS:

EXCEPT FOR:

It's because:

Hope This Helps.

Well, not offended, but with Capt Karin on the Monarch, could now be a SHE decides who sits at HER TABLE...........

Just FYI.

Debbi

THE REAL ANSWER IS:

EXCEPT FOR:

It's because:

Hope This Helps.

Yes shouting the HE, HIS, and HIM out two times clarified. ROFLO

Archived