Americans on Thomson?

Some friends of ours live outside of London and recently invited us to join them on a Thomson cruise. :)

Though we've cruised quite a lot on many lines, most of them were the mainstream lines which cater to Americans(Celebrity, RC, Carnival...) so we've got a few questions. Hoping someone here may be able to help.

1) Are there many Americans onboard? Or what other nationalities are represented?

2) How in the heck to do you book from outside the UK? We've been all over the webpage and are confused. :confused:

3) Any information on the children's programs? We will be traveling with children ages 3, 4, 7, and 10

4) If you have sailed from the USA, could you speak to the differences we would find aboard. Such as an RC cruise to the Caribbean vs. Thomson W. Med? I'm told there is no tipping, but what else should we be prepared for?

Thanks for any input or advice you can provide.

Can't be a great help, but we have sailed with Princess and HAL and had our first cruise with Thomson earlier this year on the Majesty.

It was mainly British or perhaps all British.

The ships are older and smaller than RCI etc, but they are friendly and the entertainment was first class. They do not have the glitz of the bigger lines but we really enjoyed our cruise and will travel with them again.

There is no formal tipping (as automatically added) but you can tip if feel it is warranted (which it was).

Hope this is of some help.:)

Some friends of ours live outside of London and recently invited us to join them on a Thomson cruise. :)

How in the heck to do you book from outside the UK? We've been all over the webpage and are confused. :confused:

From outside the UK you have to click on 'Cruise Only' at the bottom of the column on the left hand side of the Thomson booking site page. We live in Spain and always have to book this way.

Though we've cruised quite a lot on many lines, most of them were the mainstream lines which cater to Americans(Celebrity, RC, Carnival...) so we've got a few questions. Hoping someone here may be able to help.

1) Are there many Americans onboard? Or what other nationalities are represented?

Very few Americans or other nationalities (unless Thomson's attempt to sell to Canadians for the Caribbean itineraries is successful then who knows?)

2) How in the heck to do you book from outside the UK? We've been all over the webpage and are confused. :confused:

I think we've been asked this before and have a feeling that it can be done over the phone with Thomson. Can see campolady has now answered this for you.

3) Any information on the children's programs? We will be traveling with children ages 3, 4, 7, and 10

Sorry can't help.

4) If you have sailed from the USA, could you speak to the differences we would find aboard. Such as an RC cruise to the Caribbean vs. Thomson W. Med? I'm told there is no tipping, but what else should we be prepared for?

Just come off a Celebrity cruise and I think the variety of food in the self service will be less compared with your previous experiences, also fewer eating venues. I think the menu in the main dining room will offer less choice too.

The entertainment is much better on Thomson but the theatre not as big or good in terms of sight-lines as those on the newer American ships.

Coffee and tea served free in the main dining room after meals and drinks kprices very, very much cheaper on Thomson.

The ship will seem quite small to you I think and dated but the atmosphere on board is great. Friendly staff and fellow passengers.

You will probably get more port days per week with Thomson.

Excursion prices are often cheaper than their competitors too although the Caribbean is easy to DiY - plenty tours/transfers available dockside.

Hope you enjoy your first Thomson cruise - it will be different but the ships and personnel have great charm. :)

I can help with the children aspect.

Thomson run children's clubs usually 3 times a day. They are arranged in age groups, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12, approx, the morning session is usually mixed. There is an afternoon and an evening, each 2 hours. There is one room that serves all of the children. There are also arranged teen gatherings.

It is much smaller and friendlier, (think that you might have noticed that!) as there are less children than the other lines you mentioned as less pax overall.

My children love the relaxed atmosphere and the ability to have some independence without the worries of huge crowds.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kruzseeka may well be right in you having to phone Thomson for bookings from the USA. I now vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Cruise Only option may only be applicable for bookings within Europe.

i cant speak for all the ships but it is rare to see international clients on dream but I have met people from denmark, russia, spain (although they may have been expats?) canadian (i think they were expat too? living in uk?) and people from somerset :p:)

thomsons are almost exclusively marketed at the uk & ireland market, the food and entertainment will reflect this

there is usually a good mix of people from all over uk from all walks of life and age groups

cant help with how you can book up from the US? this question has been asked before and I cant remember the outcome? perhaps your local t/a could make some enquires?

cant comment on the differences between rc/carnival v thomsons other than to say thomsons are smaller, older, have very few balconies no atriums and not a huge choice of venues/resturants but what they do have, across all their ships is a close village like atmosphere on board, the crew look after us all like gold and there are some stunning itineraries:cool:

Hi lerin have cruised on valor and victory from barbados and ecstacy from port canaveral have found american folk very freindly do try and cruise with us my next cruise is jamacia in feb 2015 try that one cozumal costa maya and belize howard

One thing I noticed sailing from the US, on the first night the Cruise Director asked the audience to cheer if they were from Europe, Asia, S.America or the US. On Thomson they ask if you are from England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland! The less formal entertainment (game shows, quiz nights...) tends to be more geared to a UK audience, but people having a laugh can be funny in any language. I also think as the ships are smaller the venues feel fuller, so it seems like everyone is joining in with the fun, which is not always so obvious on the bigger ships. I loved sailing on Celebrity as a more formal cruising experience, but I keep going back to Thomson because I know I'll have a great time.

We are an American family (based in the UK) and much preferred Thomson to the US line we were on. It was more relaxed - more fun, in terms of entertainment.

The seamless travel from checking in at Gatwick to arriving on the boat was a real plus too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums