Kotor fortress hike

Only you can decide which shoes to wear. I had on regular sneekers but I really don't like combersom hiking shoes. You can see in the picture what the trail is like. There are many trails off this main trail. One goes down to a small very old church. You have to climb through a window in the wall to get to it.

581472_2741453230520_1683123189_1725563_47234960_n.jpg

546117_2741457310622_1683123189_1725575_411591537_n.jpg

578840_2741457030615_1683123189_1725574_1448024415_n.jpg

Thanks for the info and the pics. I now know what shoes I will take.

You can see in the picture what the trail is like. There are many trails off this main trail. One goes down to a small very old church. You have to climb through a window in the wall to get to it.

Great pictures, Eileen.

Folks, the window and church in Eileen's pictures are the "rampart window" and "church in ruins" that I reference in my post and map from May 23rd.

Hope this helps someone.

• 5 months later...

From about 2.07 in this

shows my nephew and I going up. It was a spur of the moment decision and we only had sandals and flip-flops but it was fine. This was in June and it was very hot and I instantly cursed not having more than a cupful of (tepid) water with me. It took us 40 minutes going up an about 18-20 coming down, and as Eileen's photos show and Autumncruiser says, the views from the top make the effort very worthwhile. €3 well spent, plus you don't have to bother going to the gym that day :) All the best, Tony Edited by Cornishpastyman1

YES!! Great pictures by Ellen. Appreciate your sharing. Below is a link for more visuals and info on wonderful Kotor and nearby. Plus a few of my pictures to help people get excited about visiting this great location.

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 8,925 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,666 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For Kotor, I got up at 5 am for the sail-in through their wonderfully scenic fjords, etc. Below is one picture from the front of the ship on that early path through these narrow areas to reach Kotor as the sun is rising. We tendered at 7 am in their harbor. It was a short, easy tender to arrive on land for our bus tour.:

KotorSailInSunriseWatching.jpg

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

This is a close up of the mountain fortress that overlooks Kotor and the fjord bay.:

KotorTopMntFortressOverlooking.jpg

We did the hike in sneakers. Took us around 40-45 minutes going up and 23 to be exact coming down. I took a video at the top and lots of pics along the way.

You can read that part of my trip report at this link, scroll down to post 114, that is the start of the Kotor part:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=6

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from the Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic cruise that stopped in Kotor. I hiked the fortress with my sister and we went up at a leisurely pace stopping for pictures everywhere along the way and made it to the top in about 1.5 hours and about 30 minutes to come down. We thought we heard what sounded like rattlesnakes in the grass at the top but I could be wrong! It's certainly much easier than the Great Wall since there are steps pretty much all the way up and they are flat and reasonable wide for the most part. I'd recommend at least sneakers but I certainly did see people making the hike in flip flops so I guess it is possible. As everyone else has said, gorgeous views and well worth the effort.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...