Can't post TA Recommendations, what about complaints?

SUSANITA

I understand that we can no longer recommend TA's, but what about if we have complaints about a certain TA, can we post their name then?

There are TONS of posts here such as "so and so agency didn't honor my coupon", "called so and so 4 times, no return call" or "My TA so and so wants to charge me a $30 processing fee". Can we still post those types of posts?

Also, can we talk about an agency if it's an official Cruise Critic Cruise? Such as "our TA at ****** has been so good to us?"

Just looking for some more clarification on this new guideline, thanks.

I'm inclined to say no as well. The pros and cons on anything, including TA's, are always helpful to many people making decisions about their cruises. Don't worry if it doesn't seem clear to you yet. I've read the new rule twice and will probably read it again to make sure I totally understand what is or isn't within the guidelines.

Chris, I laughed out loud at that one!!! LOL!!!! :p

If that is the case, the guideline should read "posting a Travel agency name is not permitted, ever". There is a big difference about recommending a TA, and complaining about one, but they almost are in the same ballpark. One can generate business, and one can take away business, either may not be legitimate posts, and if one is not allowed then maybe the other shouldn't be either? What's to stop all of these fake posters from slamming their competition now that they can't create fake posts to increase their own business?

IM somebody, Email somebody...if you're looking for a personal recommendation that's about as personal as it's going to get unless you have a local CC Chapter meeting (like those lucky Tampa and DFW folks) then you can stand on table in the middle of the restaurant and holler out your favorite TA's name.

I wonder if the "powers that be" of thought of creating a seperate board for information on TA's. Then it's the users choice to visit those boards, just like the Ports of Call boards. When I was a newbie, one of the biggest thing I wanted to know when I found the boards (besides if I could smuggle my own booze! :)) was where I could find the best deals on the web. The boards have been an invaluable service in getting out information about all aspects of cruising. I would think what agencies are available would be an important piece of the puzzle. There I go thinking again! LOL I do agree with Laura though that a lot of those posts seem to be started by TA's pretending NOT to be TA's. I've even seen responses from members that when you look up their posts, they only reply to threads about certain agencies... go figure! :)

To paraphrase the policy....

"Posts recommending travel agents, travel agencies, cruise-only agencies, travel/cruise brokers, or any other source where consumer can purchase travel will be removed from the boards. This also includes any comments included in signatures requesting members to e-mail you for information about your travel agencies.

Additionally, posts by members requesting such information will be removed."

To be safe, I would avoid all references to any "specific" agency.

As always, thanks for your participation in our forum!!

I can totally understand CC's reasoning behind this new guideline. But I don't understand why we are no longer able to use a TA name to post about good experiences, but are still allowed to use a TA name to post about negative experiences. BOTH types of posts can have an affect on the agencies "business" (read $$$) and if one is not allowed then the other shouldn't be either.

If that is the case, then the rule should be easy, don't ever post a TA name. Period.

IM somebody, Email somebody...if you're looking for a personal recommendation that's about as personal as it's going to get unless you have a local CC Chapter meeting (like those lucky Tampa and DFW folks) then you can stand on table in the middle of the restaurant and holler out your favorite TA's name.
Yeah and you should see us do that Christopher;) .......You're just jealous you're not here with us Mr "Iwannaofficeoutofmiamibarefooted":eek: :D

From the new rule: "However, the general discussion of the merits of using a BRICK AND MORTAR AGENCY, an INTERNET CRUISE AGENCY or purchasing from the CRUISE LINE DIRECTLY will be allowed. No recommendations for any travel source will be allowed."

It seems giving a bad report would be "recommending" they not use that agency.

I'd stick with no TA names period....The CC official groups are not even supposed to post names and or contact info but to direct the person to the link with the info.....

PammyHound,

That's a super good idea,:D maybe this board will look into that and fix a area for us to go to.

This board has so much info here to help with cruising, it's a shame we can't share great sites and travel TA tips whether good or bad.

Any help to save money on cruise is a ++:)

It seems giving a bad report would be "recommending" they not use that agency

Randy, it does seem that way, the question is, will you pull it?? ;)

But you made a good point, a negative post is kind of like a "recommendation not to use" that agency, and therefore, would need to be removed if an agency name is mentioned. (Right?) I'm thinking as long as we are getting used to the new rule of no recommendations, we may as well get used to the rule of no "non recommendations". :)

Thanks for clarifying.

So hosts, the true rule is no mentioning a specific agency or TA? period, correct?

Could we maybe get an area to just list TAs available with a "Buyer Beware" notice. And if we wanted to stetch it posters could limit to: positive, negative or neutral?

So hosts, the true rule is no mentioning a specific agency or TA? period, correct?

Could we maybe get an area to just list TAs available with a "Buyer Beware" notice. And if we wanted to stetch it posters could limit to: positive, negative or neutral?

Correct....No mentioning TAs period and my guess is there will not be a separate area for TAs since the same thing could happen there that happend all over.

We are in agreement that there should be a separate board for the pros and cons of travel agents. I for one would like to know that the TA I have decided to use is a reputable company who will work for you. I would also like to know which ones to avoid or do not provide great service. We used a B&M TA and would not go back just because the service we thought we should get wasn't there. Now we weren't looking for anything out of the ordinary, our TA knew our itinerary so we asked how we were to get to and from airports to hotels to cruise terminals. Basically we were left on our own to research it out and arrange all our transportation. To us that TA lack full service and we should be able to tell about them so other's who choose to use them may know what to expect. JMHO

Let the TAs do their job and you can come here to find out the best ways for transportation to and from, etc.....I can't remember a TA ever giving me info like that, nor would I expect it, but if they did it would be way more info than I paid for........Just post a thread asking the best way for transportation here next time.:)

I would do a search for "cruise message boards". I know there are plenty of them out there, just not as big as Cruise Critic. Beware though that at least one of those boards does not allow any negative comments about their "most favored" TA.

What is really strange is, everyone is saying "which TA should I contact" etc..., well look around, this message board is absolutely FILLED with TA names and phone numbers, as advertisers and supporters of this site!! If I were a financial supporter of a message board to promote my business, but that message board allowed it's members to then continuously recommend my competition, I would not stick around long.

We can't have our cake and eat it too, basically. This board is FREE for our use, they are financially supported by their advertisers, and can't continue to let it's members recommend TA's that don't support the site that is "sending" tons of business their way. Is it in your best interest to get recommeded to a certain TA by a stranger on a message board, or is it in your best interest to keep coming here at no charge?? I'll take the free use of CC, thanks!

Don't forget that the board's sponsors are also some of those TAs being promoted. That's exactly how I came to book one of my cruises next year. Otherwise, I'd have gone with my usual TA. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Beth

Don't forget that the board's sponsors are also some of those TAs being promoted. That's exactly how I came to book one of my cruises next year. Otherwise, I'd have gone with my usual TA. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Beth

The way it was before many agents didnt see a need to pay CruiseCritic for advertising. They could just sign up and post thread after thread about the great service at "ABC Travel" or have their clients do so, while CC didnt get a dime from their solicitation.

Susanita, great post!!!! I guess I have just never seen THAT many posts where people are looking for the names of agencies... I already had one when I came here and the second/third cruise was booked with a group. I completely understand this new policy and it makes sense. You cannot rely solely on "recommendations" you receive on any message board, you still have to do the research. Put it this way, how many times has someone been on here "defending" and "promoting" that infamous Limo company? They are 98% unreliable and have left many CC members stranded... yet, there is always someone that comes on here and promotes them... and it always turns out that they work for said limo company... That could happen just as easy with a TA... I would think if someone were really looking, one of the great CC members would not mind emailing a reputable source to them... Honestly, I think the most reputable you are going to get are the folks that sponsor this site... would not make much sense to sponsor a cruise related message board only to provide terrible service... Just MHO :D

The way it was before many agents didnt see a need to pay CruiseCritic for advertising. They could just sign up and post thread after thread about the great service at "ABC Travel" or have their clients do so, while CC didnt get a dime from their solicitation.

I realize that. But the cruise that I booked was specifically through a CC sponsor that I would not normally have used.

Beth

Good point, Susanita! I have never really paid attention to the advertisers here on the site. I ignore them on EVERY site I visit. Guess I'll look to see if my TA is one of them. If not, maybe she should be since so many people here already use her. :)

Archived