Melia or El Cozumeleno for a day pass?

CruiseMomTX

Haven't done a day pass, but stayed a week at El Cozumeleno. We were there in September a few years ago and while the staff was excellent, the food was just so-so. Drinks were good, but the swim up bar was closed. A waiter would occasionally come out to the pool, but most of the time we had to go to the bar and get our own drinks. I'm ok with that, but if I were paying a premium price, I would not have been pleased. I believe they had a small sandy beach, but once out it the water it was rocky. I just remember we didn't spend a lot of time on the beach, which is unusual for us. We have friends that go there almost every year & they love it. Maybe we just went the wrong time of year. There was a group of day passers there once during our stay. They looked to be college age - promptly drank as much as possible, vomited in the hot tub and the steps to the lobby, where security asked them to leave. I guess you have to give them points for getting rid of the group quickly. Cozumeleno is also a family resort, so you will see kids there, but there were only a few when we went.

When we are in Cozumel, we typically grab a cab & go to San Francisco Beach Club. There are several different clubs down that way. I hear a lot of people like to go to Mr. Sancho's and get their all-inclusive package.

Has anyone been to the Melia or El Cozumeleno on a day pass or any other resort? Can you compare the two or others? Thanks.

We haven’t been to the two you asked about but we have been to Occidental (vacation), Allegro, ElCid, Park Royal, if you have any questions.

I think it depends on age of party and what you are looking for as to which is best.

Thank you both for the information! It will be just the hubby and I and were looking for quiet, relaxing, sandy beach with pretty water, good drinks. It doesn't have to be AI, we may end up staying part of the day then shopping & eating in town. We've done Mr. Sancho's and thats just way to busy for us, Nachi Cocom is nice but we want something new to try. We do like to sit on the beach and have drink and food service available at your lounger.

San Francisco Beach Club does have lounge-side food & drink service. A lot of times we split an order of fajitas and order a bucket of beer. If memory serves me, you can mix & match your beer. The waiter keeps a tab and you just tell him when you are ready to go. They have a few water toys, but you pay extra to use those. They also charge admission, but we have always been able to have the admission waived when we tell them we will be there all day, eating & drinking. It seems everything is negotiable in Cozumel. The only downside is that there are vendors that come by to sell bags, jewelry, sunglasses, etc. Also there was a guy with a large iguana that charges to take your picture with it.