darkwood beach

mausie777

hi Does anyone know how much it costs to go to Darkwood beach from the cruiseport?, will be there next month

If you take the bus, the fare is approx. $1.25 US ($3.00 ECD) each way per person

If you take a taxi, the charge is $26 US each way for 1-4 passengers. If more than 4 passengers in the same group, the charge is $7 per person each way. (plus tip)

If you take the bus, the fare is approx. $1.25 US ($3.00 ECD) each way per person

If you take a taxi, the charge is $26 US each way for 1-4 passengers. If more than 4 passengers in the same group, the charge is $7 per person each way. (plus tip)

Can you pay the bus fare in $Us or has it got to be in local currency? Can you buy the ticket on the bus or does it have to be purchased beforehand?

What Paul said. However, if you want change it will be in $ ECD, so either have the right change, plan to give them more than the actual cost in $ US, or get some local currency to take home as a souvenir.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did the bus last month, nothing bad about Darkwood, great day and the bus stops right at the beach. Easy walk to bus station from pier. We had 12 in our group so we filled the bus (actually a van) and he left right away. For our return, we gave him a time and he showed up on time. We passed quite a few people at bus stops who couldn't get on, so I'm not sure how it would work if you are only 2 people waiting for a bus back and it is full? When will the next one come? Having said that, we're going back next month and are taking the same bus ( I think its #22) to Valley Church beach.

Tony

My husband I walked to the bus terminal from the port and took the #22 bus to Darkwood. Maybe a 20 minute drive? Bus was packed both ways but had wonderful conversations with a local man, that was more than happy to tell us all about the island!

• 3 weeks later...

I was on Darkwood Beach on Nov. 27th, 2007 when the earthquake hit, Emerald Princess(Inaugural year), 7.2 centered on Martinique a group of us from the ship met up on Darkwood, I rented a scooter from Cheke at the pier drove it all over Antigua ended up at Darkwood, beach, water, and bar were wonderful. Rented a single hut thingy for $5 all day it was great, earthquake hit around 4pm, everybody thought it was over. Major buzz kill, perfect day gets hammered by a shelf shift quake while were chilling on Antigua looking at the volcano on Monserrat spew smoke and ash!!!

Heading back this Nov., almost positive if I cant find a reasonable way to Long Bay Beach and back, I'll be renting another scooter or a buggy again from Cheke. What you folks are describing I've already been through that several times, I cant walk through those shops, its a nightmare. :eek:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I was on Darkwood Beach on Nov. 27th, 2007 when the earthquake hit, Emerald Princess(Inaugural year), 7.2 centered on Martinique a group of us from the ship met up on Darkwood, I rented a scooter from Cheke at the pier drove it all over Antigua ended up at Darkwood, beach, water, and bar were wonderful. Rented a single hut thingy for $5 all day it was great, earthquake hit around 4pm, everybody thought it was over. Major buzz kill, perfect day gets hammered by a shelf shift quake while were chilling on Antigua looking at the volcano on Monserrat spew smoke and ash!!!

Heading back this Nov., almost positive if I cant find a reasonable way to Long Bay Beach and back, I'll be renting another scooter or a buggy again from Cheke. What you folks are describing I've already been through that several times, I cant walk through those shops, its a nightmare. :eek:

TTEllis, what did it cost to rent the scooter? That sounds like fun! Was it easy to drive around the island on one?

TTEllis, what did it cost to rent the scooter? That sounds like fun! Was it easy to drive around the island on one?

I think it cost $45 plus gas and Antigua taxes came to I think total about $55(US), It was a blast, I dont know how familiar you are with Antigua, lots of goats and lots of potholes, but it's very easy to drive around the island the Antiguan countryside is beautiful. Lots of places to stop and chill it was great and I was totally by myself, I would definitely consider doing it again. Look up Cheke's scooter rental, Cheke is great everything is straight up. When you have your own scooter you can stop and go whenever you want it's nice. Good luck, have a great time I did. Later Todd

I think it cost $45 plus gas and Antigua taxes came to I think total about $55(US), It was a blast, I dont know how familiar you are with Antigua, lots of goats and lots of potholes, but it's very easy to drive around the island the Antiguan countryside is beautiful. Lots of places to stop and chill it was great and I was totally by myself, I would definitely consider doing it again. Look up Cheke's scooter rental, Cheke is great everything is straight up. When you have your own scooter you can stop and go whenever you want it's nice. Good luck, have a great time I did. Later Todd

were there showers on darkwood beach to rinse off? thanks