Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Hi Kim,

We just had our schedule changed again due to hurricanes and now are heading to St. Thomas.

I see that you've been there a few times and would like to get your input.

We like to snorkel, but I'm a little afraid of snorkeling in low water (afraid I'd get cut or step on something "hurtful").

What beach would you recommend for us? Also like pretty scenery, but know the choices sometimes are gorgeous beach OR good snorkeling.

Thanks so much.

Barbara

Hi Kim,

We just had our schedule changed again due to hurricanes and now are heading to St. Thomas.

I see that you've been there a few times and would like to get your input.

We like to snorkel, but I'm a little afraid of snorkeling in low water (afraid I'd get cut or step on something "hurtful").

What beach would you recommend for us? Also like pretty scenery, but know the choices sometimes are gorgeous beach OR good snorkeling.

Thanks so much.

Barbara

My personal recommendation is to go to Coki. The snorkeling from the shore is just amazing there. Not too many worries about getting in shallow areas and getting cut. It's mostly along the side.

However, if you want snorkeling and a beautiful beach, check out Sapphire. It used to be my favorite and the beach is beautiful. However, it's just been so many years ago since I was there that I really don't remember if the snorkeling was as great as Coki or I just thought it was so great back then because it had been so many years since I had been snorkeling when we went there.

My personal recommendation is to go to Coki. The snorkeling from the shore is just amazing there. Not too many worries about getting in shallow areas and getting cut. It's mostly along the side.

However, if you want snorkeling and a beautiful beach, check out Sapphire. It used to be my favorite and the beach is beautiful. However, it's just been so many years ago since I was there that I really don't remember if the snorkeling was as great as Coki or I just thought it was so great back then because it had been so many years since I had been snorkeling when we went there.

Thanks so much!

I am a year late to the party, but so thankful that I found this review! We are on the same ship/itinerary in February and can't wait!

Thank you for such an amazing review!

Better late than never I always say. :D

Have a wonderful cruise. This has been my favorite itinerary so far! I can't wait until we get to do it again.

typing using one hand.....kim, i think you are going on another cruise soon. what ship and when, so i can look for your newest review.

Wait why? Did you hurt your hand?

Yep, leaving in 6 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes and 25 seconds. :D

Magic.

have a great time. i am sure all of your fans will be looking forward to your next review.

i had a full reverse shoulder replacement 3 weeks ago and have to be in this sling device for another 3 weeks, so only one hand can reach my computer.

have a great time. i am sure all of your fans will be looking forward to your next review.

i had a full reverse shoulder replacement 3 weeks ago and have to be in this sling device for another 3 weeks, so only one hand can reach my computer.

Thanks! Oh that's right, I believe I read that. I have a hard time remembering real names versus screen names on here (if you know what I mean).

Continue with speedy healing my friend! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have been back almost a week now (come tomorrow) and I guess it's time to get moving (or at least started) on this review. My "new" semester for school actually started the day we were still in San Juan, so I have been playing catch-up and the first week of class is always the hardest and always has the most work to do. So...week 1 of school has come and gone and I'm hoping for a little less stress involved assignments this week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ABOUT MY FAMILY AND OUR GROUP THIS TIME:

A little about me and the family. We "try" to cruise often (3-4x a year if possible) and my little family that cruises all of the time, consist of me, the hubby and our now 8 year old daughter, Sakari. (Pronounced just as it's spelled SA-KAR-I)

"Most" of the time (which has become none of the time so far this year :eek:) my oldest daughter, Kendra age 28, and her bf and my 8 year old grandson comes along with us. This time, we would get a surprise because it was just us booked on a sold out ship!

My youngest son, Kolin age 21 (and family) and my oldest son, Kenny who just turned 30!!!! and is making me feel extremely old now, has cruised with us once since becoming an adult. They did not come this time around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MY CRUISING EXPERIENCE:

As you can tell from my signature line, we mainly cruise with NCL and my goal has been to do the entire fleet....I'm almost there with the Gem and Escape to go.

I have adventured out and tried Carnival 3 times and absolutely loved the ships we have been on with them so far. We just sailed the Breeze several months ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED the ship. We did a Royal Caribbean back in the 90's and also NCL Seaward back in the 80's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MY THOUGHTS:

I do my reviews as honest as I can and I know everyone has a different expectation during a cruise and will have a different experience, even when on the same cruise.

FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW ME ON HERE OR HAVEN'T READ ANY OF MY REVIEWS:

We are a fun loving and goofy family that loves to have a good time. We make the best of everything even if it's a bad situation. Anyone who follows my reviews knows the "crap" I've dealt with on cruises from breaking my hand in St Maarten, breaking my toe on the Getaway, missing our flight due to my "dear daughter" :rolleyes: Kendra...who is the most non-punctual person you will ever meet, to anything else that is thrown at us. We make light of the situation and we roll with it!

We crack a lot of jokes (and I have a quirky sense of humor...my kids do as well) and love adventure and trying new things. My youngest (Sakari) is an animal lover and if there's anything involving animals, we have to do it. We have done swims with the stingrays, dolphins, manatees, sharks and held so many things in the sea (yes, even those we didn't know better and paid the price for it). She LOVES to draw. She's actually really good at it too. Sakari would rather sit around drawing (mostly animals) than playing with toys. I include many of her "masterpieces" in my reviews because that's what she does in her "off" time on the ship. Sakari has been cruising since she was 3 years old (this will make her 11th cruise...you're welcome daughter for us making you Platinum before you're 18) and she just thinks it's a way of life. She is a DAREDEVIL!!! She will do anything we do and doesn't think twice about it. She zip lined in the jungle, by herself at the age of 3, cave tubing, held tarantulas, jumped off 2 story decks into the ocean, went on the biggest water slides on the ships (and yes, even the ones that you stand in and the floor drops out from under you)...the list goes on. There's nothing she won't do. She's like having an extra adult with us...other than the fact that her age and height sometimes restricts her from certain things...otherwise she would do it. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the beach. So if I can find a beach or snorkeling...that's where we'll be. If you ask me some "touristy tour seeing the history" type of thing, forgetaboutit...because that's not me.

I tell my story through my eyes and my take on things. Everyone may not agree or have the same opinion, and that's ok, but I'm honest with the way "I" see things. I'm a planner. I do EXTENSIVE research prior to any cruise. I read reviews, I look on the web, I take notes, copy maps, save websites, make spread sheets and everything has to be perfectly planned. That's just me. The family just "rolls with it". I crack up because I feel like a mother duckling and they follow...in a line and (seriously) if I turn one way, they do too, if I quickly turn back, they do too. Sometimes I start weaving back and forth in a "S" shape just to throw them off...then they'll catch on to what I'm doing and laugh. It's all a game and I have fun with it. (See what I mean? That's my quirkiness coming out). Don't worry, the hubby is the same and he pays me back. He's my personal GPS and he likes to throw me off too as a payback. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ORGANIZATION:

Many people have ask about the way I organize things for my reviews. I did a post about it on my last review...yes, it's quite extensive and the amount of work that goes into these reviews requires it (for me). You can find that post HERE-1ST HALF and the 2ND HALF HERE if you are interested in the way I do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CAMERAS:

Another thing I get asked a lot is "what type of camera do you use?" Well, I'll get that question answered right now before we begin. I have 2 cameras. They are both Olympus Tough point and shoot cameras. The models I have (which there are TONS of them out there and always being updated) are 620 & 830. I feel they take excellent pictures. I use to carry my DSLR with me, but I felt that it hindered my fun a little. There's just too much equipment to carry with me. It's heavy. It's bulky. I found a camera that does a good enough job for me and that's all I use now. I find that I can enjoy my cruise more. Are the pictures always perfect? Nope...I do a lot of walking and snapping...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and get blurry. It is what it is. :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WHY I DO IT:

With that being said, these reviews are meant to be helpful to others, show you around the ship, places we go and give you some ideas. I feel that a picture is worth 1,000 words, which is why you'll find my reviews very picture heavy. I'm a site person and I know it really helps me to put a picture to something someone is trying to explain. By no means do I ever try to influence you one way or the other to do the things we like to do, but merely give suggestions. I try to help out others on this board the way they have helped me so many times in the past and I am so grateful for that.

SO LET THE REVIEW BEGIN...

Hi Kim!

Your pictures are so beautiful. . . I read that you put your photos through a sharpener filter. . . What filter do you use? And where/ how do I buy a filter? Thank you!!! Tara

Hi Kim!

Your pictures are so beautiful. . . I read that you put your photos through a sharpener filter. . . What filter do you use? And where/ how do I buy a filter? Thank you!!! Tara

Honestly, I've had this action on my computer for about 9 years and have no idea where it came from. You can make your own as well. It saves for the web (because when you save a photo, it takes away from the actual picture, so saving for the web will keep it sharp).

• 3 weeks later...
I really have to give it to you! This was an awesome review! So awesome, that I actually went and booked this same trip for May 6, 2018. I am beyond excited!!! Thanks so much!

Awww geez thank you! I really appreciate it! This has been the most amazing vacation we have ever had and I can't wait to do it again some day and spend more time there.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• 5 weeks later...
When I research it online, it states that the brightest in PR is the one over on the island of Vieques and it's called Mosquito Bay. But you would definitely have to contact a vendor to take you there since it's off o PR and the ferry that runs over there stops at a certain time and you won't be able to make it back.

I do know that several years ago, the biobay I went to had some issues and the organisms started disappearing (remember it has to have perfect conditions for them to be there). They discovered it was because they use to allow people in the water to swim with them (which is why you see pictures around the web with people in the water). It was killing them off. So, they stopped allowing this to happened and several years later, they returned. I had "heard" that they didn't return "completely" or "full force" yet. But, when I questioned our tour guide about this and what I had heard, he said they were back the way they use to be.

I also ask our tour guide about Mosquito Bay and the rumor that it was brighter over there. He told me they are all the same and it isn't any brighter over there than where we were. (Of course, this could just be him saying that because THEY want the business...which makes sense). I find it hard to believe that so many people have reported that Mosquito Bay is much brighter.

I think if you spent a few extra days in PR and could actually maybe just take the ferry over to the island of Vieques and maybe just stay the night at a hotel, you'd have a pretty good shot at seeing it. I may consider that in the future because I really think there has to be more to this than what I seen that night.

Also, please remember that weather conditions do play a part in the brightness of them (the tour guide said) and it had rained the night before he said. Also the moon presents a problem and it's best to go when there's barely a moon. But I still don't see how there could ever be the complete darkness needed for it to glow the way you see in pictures, due to all the lights around the area.

I hope it lives up to it. :)

I've done Mosquito Bay and it is breathtaking!!! Your guide lied as what you described is nothing like we experienced! It's a VERY long affair and evening, but so worth it. We essentially left our hotel near the beach early in the evening in a large van with only 2 women and drove an hour. We then took a boat to the island where we saw the wild horses and had a nice dinner. From there, we rode a falling-apart-1960's school bus through the forest/dunes for several minutes to then get on to a pontoon boat in pitch black darkness. The ride on the bus itself was truly an adventure, not for the faint of heart! We saw the dinoflagellates from the motor early on and swimming in them was just pure magic! We didn't get back to our hotel until 2-3am that morning and it was so worth it! It truly was one of the best "excursions/adventures" of my lifetime and well worth the time investment.

I've done Mosquito Bay and it is breathtaking!!! Your guide lied as what you described is nothing like we experienced! It's a VERY long affair and evening, but so worth it. We essentially left our hotel near the beach early in the evening in a large van with only 2 women and drove an hour. We then took a boat to the island where we saw the wild horses and had a nice dinner. From there, we rode a falling-apart-1960's school bus through the forest/dunes for several minutes to then get on to a pontoon boat in pitch black darkness. The ride on the bus itself was truly an adventure, not for the faint of heart! We saw the dinoflagellates from the motor early on and swimming in them was just pure magic! We didn't get back to our hotel until 2-3am that morning and it was so worth it! It truly was one of the best "excursions/adventures" of my lifetime and well worth the time investment.

I have read many reviews that describe exactly what you just did. I have been so excited to visit this for years...only to be disappointed in what we seen (or lack there of). Maybe some day we'll go back long enough to make a trip over to Mosquito Bay and check it out.

I have read many reviews that describe exactly what you just did. I have been so excited to visit this for years...only to be disappointed in what we seen (or lack there of). Maybe some day we'll go back long enough to make a trip over to Mosquito Bay and check it out.

I definitely want to go back and do it again once our children are a pinch older! I just finished your entire review and it's amazing! We've done the Southern out of San Juan twice before kids. After reading this, I'm not wondering if we should do it instead of the Conquest out of Miami...the Miami itinerary would be all new to us (Princess Cay, Grand Turk, Aruba, and Caracao). We'll probably stick with Miami in September though as I want new adventures!!!

If for any reason you head back to St. Lucia and don't want a beach/snorkel day, they seriously have the best Caribbean rainforest zipline tour ever. We loved it so much that we've done it twice!

Thanks again for such an amazing review!

I definitely want to go back and do it again once our children are a pinch older! I just finished your entire review and it's amazing! We've done the Southern out of San Juan twice before kids. After reading this, I'm not wondering if we should do it instead of the Conquest out of Miami...the Miami itinerary would be all new to us (Princess Cay, Grand Turk, Aruba, and Caracao). We'll probably stick with Miami in September though as I want new adventures!!!

If for any reason you head back to St. Lucia and don't want a beach/snorkel day, they seriously have the best Caribbean rainforest zipline tour ever. We loved it so much that we've done it twice!

Thanks again for such an amazing review!

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it.

If you have something booked with new ports you have never done before...although cruising out of PR is amazing and one of my favorites...definitely go to new ports. We have been experiencing new ports for the last few years and having a lot of fun doing so.

If we ever go back to St Lucia, Sakari has demanded to go back to the pitons/Jalousie Beach again. This is where she fell in love with scuba diving and came home and decided she was going to be a scuba diver. All she does is talk about Jalousie Beach and the awesome snorkeling they had there and how bad she wants to go back. So...hopefully some day we'll make it back again and maybe I'll find a way to let her dive there this time around. :D

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it.

If you have something booked with new ports you have never done before...although cruising out of PR is amazing and one of my favorites...definitely go to new ports. We have been experiencing new ports for the last few years and having a lot of fun doing so.

If we ever go back to St Lucia, Sakari has demanded to go back to the pitons/Jalousie Beach again. This is where she fell in love with scuba diving and came home and decided she was going to be a scuba diver. All she does is talk about Jalousie Beach and the awesome snorkeling they had there and how bad she wants to go back. So...hopefully some day we'll make it back again and maybe I'll find a way to let her dive there this time around. :D

Sounds like a great plan! I’m thinking I may splurge on those full-face snorkels for our twins and start practicing on our March trip in preparation for September. Hopefully I can turn one of them into a snorkel-lover! They don’t swim as well as Sakari at 5, but we are working on it! Maybe I can talk my zip-lining enthusiast husband into snorkeling there the next time we go...since he’s zip-lined twice there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums