Snorkel Equipment

If you go on a snorkel excursion (on your own or through the ship), the equipment is included. We are going to buy our own masks and snorkels before our next cruise for a couple of reasons:

1. Better fit

2. It appears that the snorkels are just rinsed off between users

We are going to rent the fins - I think it would be too much hassle to transport those.

Check these boards - a lot of people have found reasonably priced snorkels and masks at sporting goods stores (like Dick's) or even Costco.

Have a GREAT trip!

Buying your own mask is a smart thing to do. You will be assured of a good fit if you can try it on before you buy. You and also properly clean the glass lens to lessen fogging. All you have to do is polish the glass with a bit of toothpaste (not gel). Just rub it in for a few minutes then rinse. Nothing ruins an underwater experience more than a mask that leaks or fogs excessively.

As for a snorkel, do you share your toothbrush? It is just about the same with rental snorkels.

Use the fins on provided excursions or rent them on the island. You might consider wearing thick socks with the fins.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing all first time snorklers forget is waterproof sunscreen. A t-shirt is not enough protection from sunburn while you are laying on the surface of the water with the sun beating down. Also, a t-shirt doesn't cover the ears and that is where a lot of people get sunburned.

Happy bubbles!

One thing all first time snorklers forget is waterproof sunscreen. A t-shirt is not enough protection from sunburn while you are laying on the surface of the water with the sun beating down. Also, a t-shirt doesn't cover the ears and that is where a lot of people get sunburned.

Happy bubbles!

Absolutely correct. Good advice sea-jay.

Some of the tours also require that you use their snorkeling vests (I have my own for those times) which have air valves on them. Bring a small baggie to put over the valve for when you have to blow it up. Just pop a small hole on the end :)

What kind of socks do you recommend? My sister and I are snorkeling for the first time and we have the snorkel/mask already but are still looking for some sort of water socks.

SwKnightThey do make BOOTIES which fit into oversized fins for your specific foot.

Coral can really CUT INTO feet.

Thanks for other hints herein

Please don't stand on the coral. It kills it and it takes years to grow back.

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't stand on the coral. It kills it and it takes years to grow back.

Absolutely right. I should have explained that a friend and her husband were recently washed up on coral by BOTH an unexpected wave and lack of experience in Hawaii and were really cut up on their legs and arms.

The third problem was that they swam out way too far and were exhausted; and these experiences left rather a negative example on their first snorkel attempt.

Fortunately that was all that happened. Allthough it was very tramatic and painful to the dear friends. She told he that all she could think about and hear in her head (after bleeding from HER many cuts) was the overture of the movie "JAWS" in her head. Dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum. She was scared to death.

If you plan to really get into snorkeling, you almost might want to upgrade to a dry snorkel (like Oceanmaster) - these all have various formats of automatically closing the top of the tube off if it gets hit by a wave, or if you tilt your head to far onr way and actually dip the end under water. It greatly increased my enjoyment of snorkeling. There's nothing like sucking a big lungful of salt water to ruin your day!!

If you plan to really get into snorkeling, you almost might want to upgrade to a dry snorkel (like Oceanmaster) - these all have various formats of automatically closing the top of the tube off if it gets hit by a wave, or if you tilt your head to far onr way and actually dip the end under water. It greatly increased my enjoyment of snorkeling. There's nothing like sucking a big lungful of salt water to ruin your day!!

I highly recommend getting your own mask and snorkel before the cruise.. also the baggie idea is good for blowing up the vest or I would take some alcohol wipes with me.. you can use it to wipe off the valve before blowing into it.. and also to wipe the snorkel mouthpiece if you do not bring your own.. the snorkel excursions will have fins also..they can be a little bulky to pack but i did splurge and buy pink fins to match my pink mask and of course pink snorkel :) and then I had to buy a pink bag to put the 'gear' in.. once you have snorkeled you will be hooked on it.. enjoy!!

Surfers that go to Hawaii many times wear a rash guard shirt to avoid sunburn as do some snorkelers. These are nylon type shirts usually worn under a wet suit to "rash guard."

They are somewhat like a bicycle shirt. Take a look at a search on ebay.

The surfers in Hawaii use them TO avoid sunburn.

Surfers that go to Hawaii many times wear a rash guard shirt to avoid sunburn as do some snorkelers. These are nylon type shirts usually worn under a wet suit to "rash guard."

They are somewhat like a bicycle shirt. Take a look at a search on ebay.

The surfers in Hawaii use them TO avoid sunburn.

You can find sunguard water shirts at http://www.sungrubbies.com I've ordered from them with great success.

I've snorkeled all over the world- get the Oceanmaster dry snorkel. The thing is the best! They are totally dry snorkels- the only way you will get water into the barrel is if the head is at a very shallow angle the water. There is also a purge valve under your mouth if you do get a bit of water in.

Archived