HAL Rotterdam feedback?

RMS Olympic

i am interested in the Rotterdam and would like to hear from anyone who has sailed her in the last year. She supposedly is going into dry dock this Oct-Nov time frame....not sure how extensive her refresh will be. Any comments or feed back would be greatly appreciated....as I am on the fence about a cruise early next year out of Tampa.

Thanks

Ps....its been quite a while since I have been on HAL....thinking its time for a return🤓

i am interested in the Rotterdam and would like to hear from anyone who has sailed her in the last year. She supposedly is going into dry dock this Oct-Nov time frame....not sure how extensive her refresh will be. Any comments or feed back would be greatly appreciated....as I am on the fence about a cruise early next year out of Tampa.

Thanks

Ps....its been quite a while since I have been on HAL....thinking its time for a return🤓

Hiya! I just returned from a 3-night cruise on Amsterdam, which is Rotterdam's sister, and I thought she was in excellent shape. Assuming comparable maintenance, I wouldn't hesitate. The ship was small--only two hot tubs!--but it was never crowded. Bring a good book and prepare to relax.

Hey Bruiser!

Thanks for the response....I booked the Rotterdam for January. I have been sailing NCL and need to mix things up a little. Enjoyed the Pearl....I was treated like a VIP, the result was immediately booking the Escape for my birthday in September. As I didn't want to wait until June 2018 to get on the Bliss I thought a HAL cruise would be a nice change in the meantime. It's funny, my last HAL cruise was on the Ryndam also out of Tampa After Bliss I need to scrape up money for by trip to India....imagine a non cruise trip....how strange.

Hey Bruiser!

Thanks for the response....I booked the Rotterdam for January. I have been sailing NCL and need to mix things up a little. Enjoyed the Pearl....I was treated like a VIP, the result was immediately booking the Escape for my birthday in September. As I didn't want to wait until June 2018 to get on the Bliss I thought a HAL cruise would be a nice change in the meantime. It's funny, my last HAL cruise was on the Ryndam also out of Tampa�� After Bliss I need to scrape up money for by trip to India....imagine a non cruise trip....how strange.

India sounds lovely.

Thanks

Hubby and I were on the Rotterdam for 11 nights in March. It was our first HAL cruise and we loved it. Smaller ship, never felt crowded and the crew was the best! The only complaint, very minor, is that they close down the buffet for approx. 1 and a half hours 2 times a day. So if you're hungry during those periods the food choices are limited. It was a 'quiet' cruise which we found enjoyable. The BB King night club was rocking with an excellent band and singer.

Thanks Eaglerocker! The buffet shut down should not be a big problem for me. I am hoping the smaller size of the ship will be a pleasant change. I couldn't be happier with this choice for a Jan cruise, not to mention it's an easy drive to the port...only about 1.8 hours from the house!

• 4 weeks later...

John- sorry we didn't get to meet on Amsterdam- three days is just not enough. We book PG for 7:30 every night and that tends to be the time they advertise the LGBT get together. We were in the Ocean Bar before dinner each night.

We decided that was our last short coastal- just start to know people and it's time to leave.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am ready for Rotterdam! Very curious as to the upcoming refit. I am hoping the crows nest is not modified like the updated Westerdam. The Westerdam crows nest looks more like a place to plan and less a lounge to socialize. Also curious to see how the stern deck with wading pool works. It seems to reduce deck space....but we shall see. As or entertainment.....quality shows or low budget???

I am so ready to compare this size ship after so many big boats. Sailing on NCL Escape in Sept.......enjoyed her last year, now to see if it's changed a year later

• 2 weeks later...

Well Daisey, Violet is joining us, minus the Pony. Maybe Onslow can take us to the pier in his luxury sedan? Can we get the dishy Vickor to join us also?:cool:

Dear Hyacinth, pal eeze be advised Holland America prides itself on its Rosenthal China table settings. If you must have your meals served on Royal Dalton with hand painted periwinkles, you best bring your own. Me, I'm ok with melmac or plastic picnic ware.

Gee, will this become the QE2 episode?

Only if Daisy and Onslow win a contest for a suite and dinner at the Captains table! I wonder how many readers realize we're talking about Keeping Up Appearances?:p

• 1 month later...

Hi Westoftheashley!

I am on the Jan 7th sailing. Two friends are also on board. They have not sailed on HAL so they are once again virgins...I look forward to meeting you both. How about a sail away get together and break the ice.

Tom

Hi Westoftheashley!

I am on the Jan 7th sailing. Two friends are also on board. They have not sailed on HAL so they are once again virgins...I look forward to meeting you both. How about a sail away get together and break the ice.

Tom

Sounds like a good plan to us!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I sailed 89 days on Rotterdam in 2015...loved it all...but to your comment about the "wading pool" at the stern...it's sort of a big blank space back there. During the entire 89 days, we only saw one or two people ever using that area to sun...and they were usually US! LOL ... Based on conversations with crew, HAL realizes they made a mistake by taking out the rear pool and putting this thing in (so they could add a handful of suites in the deck below). Hope you enjoy the Rotterdam.

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed Rotterdam on the TA in March this year with my partner and another lesbian couple. We had a fantastic time. Yes this ship is old and there were a few paint chips .. but it was spotlessly clean, staff were fantastic and it was v easy to get around given its quite small size. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise again on this ship

Having had my September birthday cruise cancelled because of hurricane Irma, I am now even more ready to get on the Rotterdam. As her refurbishment period is so short I am not expecting anything drastic in decor changes. Older ships have character and in many cases a true personality. All I need is some good food, good service, a good bartender, a clean bed, a hot shower and if lucky friendly passengers. I'm old school...cruising is best when it's in a social environment..... Not with everyone on their cell phones, iPads, lap tops and not enjoying the chance to meet people !

• 2 weeks later...
Having had my September birthday cruise cancelled because of hurricane Irma, I am now even more ready to get on the Rotterdam. As her refurbishment period is so short I am not expecting anything drastic in decor changes. Older ships have character and in many cases a true personality. All I need is some good food, good service, a good bartender, a clean bed, a hot shower and if lucky friendly passengers. I'm old school...cruising is best when it's in a social environment.....�� Not with everyone on their cell phones, iPads, lap tops and not enjoying the chance to meet people !

Oh no! Hopefully your January cruise will have fair seas and following winds, as they say. And a belated happy birthday!

Hey Bruiser! Thanks for the thoughts. I'm hoping the Rotterdam drydock breathes some new life into the old gal. I see you are sailing the Sea Princess in 2019...I will be drilling you on everything about that cruise as I hope to sail her either late 19 or Feb 20. I love that ship design as her older sibling the Sun Princess has always been one of my fav ships. I hope sail either a NZ cruise or the Papua NewGuinea route. Only other option would be to book the maiden voyage of the Costa Smeralda in Oct 2019, but that might be. Big disaster requiring massive amounts of alcohol. Too bid a ship, too many people, possibly rude people, untrained crew, cheap food but just the fun challenge to be different. In the meantime, i look forward to the Nieu Statendam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...