uniworld--on board charges

markf

I am considering booking, and being offered on board credits--As tips and most drinks are included, what would I consider using the on board credit for??

What kind of expenses?? Massage?

Just returned last week :( You can use OBC for optional tours, and the onboard shops. There is also a small selection of wines and spirits that you can pay extra for; the spirits looked nice, but never bothered to look at the wine list because the included wines were just fine.

We had E210 in OBC through AMEX Platinum and we used most of it for two optional excursions each. We meant to look at the shop to use the last few euros, but missed the hour that it was open the last night. So can't tell you if they have anything worth buying.

But the optional tours were nice to get for no additional cost with OBC. So if it's a moderate amount of OBC, go for it. If it's much more than what we had, it may be challenging to use. And if you don't use it all, it's not a complete loss. You will still have a great time!

Interesting that Uniworld still has optional excursions that you pay for - when they are listed as "all inclusive". Guess that "all inclusive" means gratuities and open bar.

Scenic has no extra excursions... just options at each stop. Maybe extra charges for massage or salon? Don't know - as I don't use those services. They do say that some premium spirits are an extra charge - but don't know what was included. Lots of choices in the regular bar menu.

Not sure what Tauck does - but suspect it is the same as Scenic (ie: no optionals that you have to pay for....). Perhaps someone can confirm.

Fran

Edited by franski

Interesting that Uniworld still has optional excursions that you pay for - when they are listed as "all inclusive". Guess that "all inclusive" means gratuities and open bar.

Scenic has no extra excursions... just options at each stop. Maybe extra charges for massage or salon? Don't know - as I don't use those services. They do say that some premium spirits are an extra charge - but don't know what was included. Lots of choices in the regular bar menu.

Not sure what Tauck does - but suspect it is the same as Scenic (ie: no optionals that you have to pay for....). Perhaps someone can confirm.

Fran

Fran, I've not been on Tauck since they included an open bar but in my conversations with them I'm lead to believe that except for expensive vintage champagne everything at the bar is included. I will certainly be able to offer more after our August cruise on the Rhone. As for the "optional tours" Tauck have some options at some ports like whether you'd like to go to either the summer or winter palace in Vienna or take the medieval or WWII tours in Nuremberg BUT they were included in the price. They were just a choice not an extra.

Rod

Fran, I've not been on Tauck since they included an open bar but in my conversations with them I'm lead to believe that except for expensive vintage champagne everything at the bar is included. I will certainly be able to offer more after our August cruise on the Rhone. As for the "optional tours" Tauck have some options at some ports like whether you'd like to go to either the summer or winter palace in Vienna or take the medieval or WWII tours in Nuremberg BUT they were included in the price. They were just a choice not an extra.

Rod

Hi Rod -

Sort of thought that is what they offered. Pretty much the same as Scenic.

I was interested in finding out exactly how "all inclusive" Uniworld was going to be - and it seems they still have some things that aren't "included".

Still a great product (I have enjoyed my cruises with them in the past) but I do think people need to be aware of the levels of "inclusiveness" when they book.

Fran

Edited by franski

Hi Rod -

Sort of thought that is what they offered. Pretty much the same as Scenic.

I was interested in finding out exactly how "all inclusive" Uniworld was going to be - and it seems they still have some things that aren't "included".

Still a great product (I have enjoyed my cruises with them in the past) but I do think people need to be aware of the levels of "inclusiveness" when they book.

Fran

I have just returned from the SS Catherine on her first trip on the Rhone. You can purchase extra tours on some days if you want to - there are still included tours on these days. All drinks are included all day and night ( champagne for breakfast if you want it) but if you want vintage wines you can purchase them. We found the wines very good, and if you don't like the one on offer, you can request another one.

Spa services are extra but I think that is the same on most ships.

Having sailed Seabourn and Silversea I found Uniworld to be first class - ship, crew, food, wine and tours, could not fault them

I do think people need to be aware of the levels of "inclusiveness" when they book.

Fran

It is very difficult to tease out this information. A current (very positive) review of a Uniworld cruise mentioned they had to choose between a walking tour of Strasbourg and a canal tour, and the description of the walking tour doesn't mention the Astronomical Clock performance. On AMA we got both tours plus tickets for the Clock. AMA also stated on the current Q&A forum that their "optional" tour choices are all included in the fare. So it seems that Uniworld is more inclusive than AMA onboard, but not when it comes to shore excursions.

[uPDATE: And then things change from year to year. I just checked AMA's website for the 2014 Enchanting Rhine cruise, and it seems they have dropped the Strasbourg canal tour. On the Breisach stop they also dropped Colmar and now only visit Riquewihr on the French option. In both cases the item dropped was the less interesting one, but a cutback is a cutback...]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
new information