RCI exchange rate

I rang for OBC for our Explorer of the seas cruise in April, it was AUD 140 for US100, I got 500US for $700, they send an email to verify, you can keep adding to it up until 4 days out from your cruise. I did this last week and friends did it today at the same rate.

I rang for OBC for our Explorer of the seas cruise in April, it was AUD 140 for US100, I got 500US for $700, they send an email to verify, you can keep adding to it up until 4 days out from your cruise. I did this last week and friends did it today at the same rate.

yes i rang today as well inquiring about the rate to buy some OBC, they also said i could get the charges on my sea pass when paying by credit card in Australian dollars, just deciding which way to go.

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but what's the benefit of buying OBC? Isn't that the same as paying your bill in advance? And you'd lose it if you don't use it all up.

I thought the whole point of OBC is that it's given to you as an incentive by the cruiseline or travel agent...

Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy in advance than if you went to another financial provider - you've also locked the rate in which helps for those who are now pessimistic about prospects for our currency. It's more convenient since it's on your account already and you just have to call instead of buying elsewhere.

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but what's the benefit of buying OBC? Isn't that the same as paying your bill in advance? And you'd lose it if you don't use it all up.

I thought the whole point of OBC is that it's given to you as an incentive by the cruiseline or travel agent...

Yes, it is prepaying your bill which often helps with budgeting and also for no bill shock at the end of the cruise. It can also be advantageous due to currency conversions and also the rate the cruise line may offer can often be much better than any other banks or money exchange office.:D

Thanks for the explanation - I guess it makes sense if you know youre going to be spending a fair bit on the ship. For me it would be an invitation to spend it if I've bought it. I have $300 free OBC on my next 8 night cruise and am going to try to stick to that as far as possible...especially with the prices in USD