FLL Departure

patsylll

Good day everyone and thank you in advanced to those who know details about Port Everglades Cruise Port and FLL airport. I will be departing from HAL Niew Amsterdam on Sunday, December 23. There is a 10:09 am flight that is real convenient. The next available flight is not until 6:50 pm. What are your thoughts about a 10:09 am flight with a cruise ship in port at 7:00 am and walk off service. I suspect Sunday is a busy time at the Port but in looking at things, FLL is pretty close by.

Well I was surprised to see only five ships in port that day, after seven on Friday and a full house of eight on Saturday. Though since the NA is the only non-monster sized ship there may be only one or two Customs/Immigration agents working in the terminal.

But have you ever flown the Sunday before Christmas before? Humanity at its worst. Even if you get to FLL by 7:45 it will be quite a challenge to drop bags and get through security in time. This is a close call that depends entirely on your stress tolerance, and whether you are someone who would spend the whole week of their cruise worrying about being first off the ship at the end.

As stated above, Christmas travel will be crazy -- you can line up early, carry your bags off, clear customs/immigration, grab the first cab, and would still need to be lucky to be at FLL before 8:00. Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused:

Too much of a risk for me, but it is your call. ;)

Good day everyone and thank you in advanced to those who know details about Port Everglades Cruise Port and FLL airport. I will be departing from HAL Niew Amsterdam on Sunday, December 23. There is a 10:09 am flight that is real convenient. The next available flight is not until 6:50 pm. What are your thoughts about a 10:09 am flight with a cruise ship in port at 7:00 am and walk off service. I suspect Sunday is a busy time at the Port but in looking at things, FLL is pretty close by.

If it was not on a weekend AND right before Christmas, I would say that a 10:09 am is possible, if you get off early (I have been at the gate at 9 AM several times (with TSA Pre-check). In your case I would not do it.

Another reason I would not chance it is that being just before Christmas, if you miss your flight it is highly unlikely that you would be able to find another one with available seats (you might be stuck for days). The fact that your airline has over an 8 hour gap between flights for you indicates a potential problem if you miss your flight.

I wonder why the OP believes they are confined to the two flights they mentioned. Because aside from the 10:09 AM and 7:05 PM flights on AA non stop from FLL to CLT, there are also non stop AA departures at 12:58 PM, 2:46 PM, and 5:23 PM. Possibly paying with points and only those two have such availability? All five flights show Basic Economy fare class sold out so they would be paying the same full main cabin fare if they are paying cash.

Thank you all for your thoughts. You all have confirmed what I thought and thus will jump on the late flight.

You can now enjoy that last morning on the ship. Have a relaxing breakfast, wait for the madness to subside , and leisurely leave the ship.

With a 6:50 flight you have time to explore - rent a car, put the bags in the trunk, and go where you want. Or pay to send your bags ahead or store them at FLL and then explore without a car - water taxi, beach, Las Olas, etc. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist info. Maybe a day pass to a resort or large hotel?

Hi, I am a concierge in Fort Lauderdale who is getting my master's degree in hospitality management. I joined this forum for a class project and plan on helping out as many people as possible with my expertise. I have worked locally for over 20 years so feel free to ask me anything from restaurant advice to tours to transportation!

Why stress yourself out worrying about making the flight? You are on vacation! As I stated in an earlier post, I would take the time to explore the Everglades. That time of the year is lovely with LOTS of birds and gators. Rent a car, drive to Shark Valley OR go on a tour....just be sure NOT to pick one of the touristy ones. Find something authentic and you will have a wonderful memory and day in nature.