Aranui 3 question - sea conditons

Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Share your interest & experiences in Freighter Cruises and other unusual forms of leisure passenger ship travel
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:52 PM.
388 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Hi; I have a friend who's considering the Aranui cruise. He's been on Caribbean cruises and says he's sensitive to 'rocky seas'. Can anyone give insight to the sea conditions as the Aranui 3 travels between Tahiti and the Marquesas?
Buckeye, Arizona USA
371 Posts
Joined May 2007
I can only give my experience from an August 2011 voyage on the Aranui but it was a very calm sea and GREAT TRIP.

However, trying to predict weather conditions and seas on some part of the earth is certainly not anywhere near an exact science.

Tell you friend to go for it as the trip is well worth it.
Missouri City, TX, USA
464 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by NukeTim
Hi; I have a friend who's considering the Aranui cruise. He's been on Caribbean cruises and says he's sensitive to 'rocky seas'. Can anyone give insight to the sea conditions as the Aranui 3 travels between Tahiti and the Marquesas?
Sorry to respond so late, but I made the sailing in 2011 and had a great time, but we did have some rough days. I wrote about it in my blog: http://www.captainmcd.com/id38.html
If someone is sensative to motion, I would recommend a cabin on the lower decks. Our trip was a lot rougher than what I have experienced on a regular cruise ship, it is more like a real freighter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Love ships and the sea. Graduated from U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in 1965 and have been sailing since then, currently hold an Unlimited Master's License with the U.S.C.G. with STCW-95 endorsements, also endorsed by Panama, Malta, St.Vincent who now have larger merchant fleets than the United States. I am now semi-retired but work as a relief for Mercy Ships.
3,349 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Jiminkcmo
I can only give my experience from an August 2011 voyage on the Aranui but it was a very calm sea and GREAT TRIP.

However, trying to predict weather conditions and seas on some part of the earth is certainly not anywhere near an exact science.

Tell you friend to go for it as the trip is well worth it.
I am posting on threads of cruisers that were on the Aranui. My husband and I are taking the trip in the fall and were wondering about bringing things for the children like frisbees, books (in French?), party favors ... stuff like that. Did anyone do that on your sailing? Your opinion please

Thanks, Diane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My travel blogs --
personal travel blog - Travel Snippets and More
general travel info blog - Travel Ideas. Travel Hints. Travel Warnings.

Florida
4,220 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I know this is an old thread. Anyway, in case somebody new reads this.
In July and August, we had calm seas.
Diane,
I know you are back already and enjoyed the islands. :-)

In case somebody else drops by:
Our guide on the Aranui 2 said not to hand out gifts to the children because they are not supposed to get used to begging. I bought handcrafts from their parents, carvings, shell and seed jewelry, dried bananas.