Photo review of my Auckland to Sydney Solstice cruise November 2017

herbanrenewal

enhanceThis is a review of our cruise From Auckland to Sydney.

A general summary would be that it was a wonderful trip from start to finish. We had a concierge cabin, a terrific cabin attendant, enough OBC to get 6 nights specialty dining and a wine package. We are independent travelers, so our tours were either self-guided or small groups from our roll call. I guess you could say we're tightwad travelers - we stay in low end lodgings before and after the cruise, including several private rooms in hostels. Other that the terrific meals on the Solstice we went basic on food mostly from grocery stores - yogurt for breakfast, salad or sandwiches for lunch and dinner. We did splurge on business class for airfare - it makes travel so much easier when you can stretch out flat to sleep on an airplane.

We started from Washington DC on October 30 to San Francisco, where we enjoyed a Muir Woods tour and a wine tour as well as the botanic gardens. The three days here made it easier to deal with the initial time change, and besides, SF is always a great places to visit! our lodging was at San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Hostel - great location, private room was in a back section of the hostel with separate kitchenette and shared bath with one other room. Great bargain price accommodations.

On November 3 we flew overnight, and slept well, on flight to Auckland. We had a week in Auckland, and I will give a daily account of what we did. We stayed at Attic Backpackers on Wellesley Street, a short walk to all we wanted to see and do on this trip. Pleasant, clean, mostly quiet place with large kitchen facilities and enough shared toilet and bath facilities. Downside - the entrance was awful with a freight elevator as access. But the room, the staff, and the accommodations met our needs and well within our budget. The first day we did a self-guided walk around town, and one other day we used Auckland free city walking tours.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Other than our walks through Auckland's sights we used the Fuller's ferry system to visit nearby places.

enhance

The first ferry tour we did was to Devonport. We did the Devonport Explorer tour package.

enhance

the charm of historic Devonport and stories of the seaside village's past - from the original Maori settlements to today's naval operations. We saw beautiful Victorian homes, the top of volcanic cones, Cheltenham beach, and ate a picnic lunch in the park before returning to the ferry.

The next day we took the ferry to Waiheke Island. Rather than do a wine tour we walked a few steps to awaiting public bus (they coordinate time with when the ferry arrives). I think it was around $3 NZ for round trip. We got off when a lot of other people did, and were a short walk to three different wineries for some wine tasting. We didn't eat in the winery café but the food looked great and prices were reasonable. We did enjoy sampling wines, splitting a flight at each of the places we visited. After the third winery we headed back to the bus for the return ferry. This is very easy to do, and cost less than half than a regular wine tour. We bought a couple bottles to enjoy during the cruise... not needed since we had both Captains Club cocktail hour and a wine package. We ended up carrying the wine to our post-cruise lodging.

enhance

enhance

The following day we again took the ferry to Coromandel Town Explorer. The town is small and not a lot to do in town, but there are several tour options from Coromandel. We took the Driving Creek Railway, built by the potter Barry Brickell on his 22-and featuring a unique railway journey climbing through a native regenerating kauri forest full of pottery sculptures and artworks as the train winds its way to a lookout for superb views over Coromandel Town and beyond.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Our next tour was to Tiritiri Matangi Nature Reserve. This was hands-down favorite of our Auckland experiences. The nature reserve is protected as a habitat for native plants and birds. I've never been much of a fan of birdwatching, but this was truly unique. If you have even a small interest in birds this is a must-see and only 150 visitors are permitted each day.

enhance

enhance

our last full day in Auckland we went to Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer tour.

On Rangitoto Island, there a road-train parked just alongside the wharf, where your ranger guide will greets you. and talks of the history of the island as you ride through the lava fields and native forest. The tour vehicle will take you to the base of the summit cone, where there are approximately 300 boardwalk steps which lead you to the summit for amazing 360-degree views of Auckland Harbor and the Hauraki Gulf.

enhance

enhance

Our final day in Auckland we spent the morning visiting places we had missed on the previous 2 days walking tours. Then we had the mess of embarkation day - and it really was a mess. We checked in our suitcases and finished the registration process. Due to norovirus on the cruise before us they were doing extra cleaning.

Since we are two individuals sharing a room but not accounts we registered separately. Danni was told to come back to board at 5pm...I was told 3pm. We were there at 3pm and it was ridiculously crowded. A celebrity rep told us to come back at 5:30. I have a hearing loss and didn't hear all she said, and in the crowds we were separated. Danny heard, and went into the Hilton and when she saw the line moving returned to board - around 4pm. When were separated I didn't see where she went, so I spent 3 hours looking for her. Finally I re-entered the boarding line and got onboard just in time for the muster drill where I found Danny. I was so exhausted that as soon as we could enter the room, I unpacked and rested, skipping dinner.

Definitely not the best boarding ever. But we had a terrific, sweet cabin attendant, Edison,who worked hard to see we had everything we needed or wanted. His w"hat can I do to fix it" attitude. totally erased my negativity. He made the start to the cruise a positive.

So that was how we spent a week in Auckland, and now the cruise begins!

The first port of call was Bay of Islands. We had planned this day as self-guided. After tendering in to Waitangi we took the free shuttle to Paihia. There we found someone to call a cab for us up to Haruru Falls a beautiful horseshoe shaped waterfalls 3km from Waitangi. After viewing the fall, we followed the riverside trail back to Waitangi passing the Treaty Grounds enroute.

enhance

enhance

next port - Tauranga

While a lot of people chose to visit Hobbitown, my travel buddy didn't want to do that. We opted to join a group on our roll call that featured a visit to a kiwi farm, lakes, white sand beach, and Te Puia Geothermal area to see the bubbling mud pools and the stunning Pohutu Geyser erupting, and enjoyed the Cultural performance including the famous "Haka" After a late lunch we rode through the picturesque Government Gardens enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

next port - Wellington

This is an easy place to do self-guided, with excellent support from local volunteers. Getting off the free shuttle in town we were a half block from the cable car. From the top we had a choice of catching a bus or walking about 30 minutes to Zealandia, a nature park. After our excellent guide in Tiritiri this was less but still lovely park and walk.

enhance

enhanceenhance

After walking around Zealandia we caught the bus back to the top of the shuttle. There is an entrance to the excellent botanic garden there. We walked through the gardens, had picnic lunch, and after we left the gardens we were looking for the shuttle back to the ship, when a volunteer saw us looking at our map, and directed us back to the shuttle.

enhance

enhance

enhance

next port - Akaroa

Akaroa was our second tender port. Both were wonderfully efficient with little to no delay getting off when we wanted. This was the only small group tour that I had arranged for our roll call, and everything went very well.

We had two 11 person buses and guides. Since Danni and I were the only non-couple we split. It worked well since the two guides did slightly different versions of the trip.

We started the trip to Christchurch through scenic Banks Peninsula, over the Canterbury Plains passed lakes, volcanoes, and mountains . We visited the Botanic Garden, and in central Christchurch saw some of the remaining damage from the 2014 earthquake. Danni's group stopped at the driver's home and saw his gardens, even enjoyed picking some cherries from his orchard,

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

next port - Dunedin

Dunedin Railways is a scenic train trip into north of Dunedin, New Zealand.

The Taieri Gorge Railway offers unique and panoramic views over ever-changing scenery. It is totally awesome. While the ship offers the same trip, it cost significantly less to book directly with the railway. Our train had an engine problem, but other than an hour delay which cut short and rushed our city tour it wasn't an issue. My personal problem was that I took my phone out to the metal area between cars and fumbled my cellphone, bouncing down to the tracks and into the gorge. I had just finished paying for that phone. note to self and others - make sure you have something to grip on to if you go to the viewing area between cars. My new phone has a case with a metal ring for me to hold on to.

enhance

enhance

enhance

next port - Dunedin

The Taieri Gorge Railway offers unique and panoramic views over ever-changing scenery. It is totally awesome. While the ship offers the same trip, it cost significantly less to book directly with the railway.

We are looking to do this next year. Can you give some more details on how the booking went directly? It sounds like there is a train at the dock, but when you book direct you have to make your way downtown to the rail station instead? Is there a shuttle? Our ship next year docks at 9am with the train leaving at 9:30am--any problems getting to the station on time?

We are looking to do this next year. Can you give some more details on how the booking went directly? It sounds like there is a train at the dock, but when you book direct you have to make your way downtown to the rail station instead? Is there a shuttle? Our ship next year docks at 9am with the train leaving at 9:30am--any problems getting to the station on time?

You can book directly from this website:

https://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/taieri-gorge-train

They pick you up at the pier, take you to the train on a bus. After the train trip they return you to the pier. There are optional additions to the train tours - we did the city sights tour. They will only book you on an excursion that fits the ships schedule, They answered emails/ questions promptly.