Questions about the Explorer (not about what shape she is in)

debinnh

I usually know everything about a ship before I sail: the nooks and crannies to look for and the special extras, but for some reason I can't seem to find those details about the Explorer. So, tell me about the spa area. Is there a quiet sauna/steam room, whirlpool area off the spa or gym that can be used? Where are the best snacks that you have found in one of the out of the way places? Does the pub on board have decent ales? Do they serve fish and chips? And what about the parades? I haven't read much about them. What are they and when? Do they have midnight buffets or specialty buffets with fancy ice, bread or chocolate sculptures, serve caviar or decadant desserts? What is not to miss that is not a show/meal/regular entertainment? How is the library? Which photographer takes the best photos? If I don't like my table, where is the best location for me to ask to change to? I've read there is an oceanography lab on board? How is it? Who is the best bartender and which bar? and why? What specialty drink should I try? Do they have a formal tea at any time?

I'm sure you can answer a question I haven't asked, since you know what I am looking for now.

Thanks in advance!

I usually know everything about a ship before I sail: the nooks and crannies to look for and the special extras, but for some reason I can't seem to find those details about the Explorer. So, tell me about the spa area. Is there a quiet sauna/steam room, whirlpool area off the spa or gym that can be used? Where are the best snacks that you have found in one of the out of the way places? Does the pub on board have decent ales? Do they serve fish and chips? And what about the parades? I haven't read much about them. What are they and when? Do they have midnight buffets or specialty buffets with fancy ice, bread or chocolate sculptures, serve caviar or decadant desserts? What is not to miss that is not a show/meal/regular entertainment? How is the library? Which photographer takes the best photos? If I don't like my table, where is the best location for me to ask to change to? I've read there is an oceanography lab on board? How is it? Who is the best bartender and which bar? and why? What specialty drink should I try? Do they have a formal tea at any time?

I'm sure you can answer a question I haven't asked, since you know what I am looking for now.

Thanks in advance!

Interesting questions, I'll try to answer as much as I can....Yes there is a sauna and it's very nice. There is also a whirlpool in the spa and both of them are free of charge but the spa closes at 8pm. We wanted to use the whirlpool in the spa one late night when it was very windy outside but wasn't able to do so because it was closed.

In terms of snacks...the Prominade cafe is the only place we had our "snacks" they have a pretty decent pizza and also have cookies, all types of deserts, sandwiches..etc. I didn't see fish and chips anywhere but it's not something that I looked for.

Neither my husband nor I are much into ale but they did have Amstel (sp?) and Foster that I could see. We didn't go into the pub.

They had 2 midnight buffets...the first one on caribbean night by the pool and the last one in the dining room which was the gala buffett. We went to the one by the pool briefly and it was decorated but didn't see ice sculpture. The gala buffett was open to picture and viewing first so I assume it was a specialty one but we didn't go to that one.

There were 2 parades -- the first one was the welcome aboard parade and was wonderful, the second one 4 or fifth one was pretty lame but still fun.

We only ate dinners in the dining room and the food was very good every evening. I love seafood and had the seafood entree every evening and everyone was cooked perfectly. My husband doesn't like seafood so opted for the other entrees and seemed fine although not as pleased as I was. The 2nd formal night is the lobster night along with baked alaska.

The ice show, quest game and love and marriage game are funny. The RCI dancer shows are OK. The other shows depend on your luck of headliners...we had 4 absolutely wonderful headliners. I know 3 have already left, they were performing their last shows, but you normally have a comic, singer/entertainer and juggler/magician acts on different nights.

We took the ocenagraphy tour and found it interesting...if you're interested on climatology and knowing the equipment the ship has, it's wonderful. There are 2 stations one downstairs on 1st deck and then on the 14th deck and they give you a tour of both areas.

We took a lot of pics both formal nights and at other times but I only purchased 1 picture taken by the ship photographers. I really wasn't impressed by any of the pics taken on this ship. To give you an idea, last time, I came home with 12 pics taken by cruise photogs.

No formal tea, all drink are very strong, the poolside Margarita my husband ordered was too strong, neither one of us could drink it. I like Bloody Mary's so I stuck with those for the most part. There is a drink of the day but that doesn't carry over to evening hours.

Hope that's helpful. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for the info... drinks too strong is something I haven't heard yet! I like wine, so they can't overpour that, but I like an occasional drink around the pool or in the evening.

I am a scientist and my husband an engineer, so I'm sure we will enjoy the lab tour.

I am a scientist and my husband an engineer, so I'm sure we will enjoy the lab tour.

Around the Aquarium Bar on the 4th deck there are a number of Oceanographic education stations where you can interact with - and learn more about - Oceanography and Marine Science. These are similar to exhibits you'd see in a museum. They never seemed to be crowded.

We had a blast there whilse sipping our Mojitos.

::sniff::

I miss those Mojitos.

I was on the Explorer during hurrican Francis and the oceanography lab was the hot spot with everyone trying to see what was happening.

The gala buffet I belive was open for pictures at 11pm. You enter on deck 7(top floor of the dining room) and decend the grand staircase overlooking the buffet to deck 5. Everything is very nicely presented. Then they close for a bit and reopn at either 12 or 12:30 for eating. If you don't want to stay and eat there, just ask a waiter for a cover to take it back to your cabin. I did this because I had a balcony and was able to sit out there and enjoy my snack.

Also, if Clo is your CD, you will have a gret time. She is very entertaining.

I know what Quest, love and marriage and the horse race are, people in my group won all three when I was on the Radiance in 03! We also had trivia winners and we won at least one the door prizes from the meet and mingle. We had quite the group then. All adults, no kids. We actually met via cruise critic! This time the trip is for the kids (9 high school seniors) so my husband and I plan to lay low and relax a bit. We will watch, cause it is fun, but I don't suspect I will be on the winning quest team again!

That is why I want to know about all the little, unknown pleasures of the ship. Also, the kids wanted to know if there are any 24hour food places? I can't remember seeing that.

Thanks again!

I just did the Eastern cruise on the Explorer...

Ciprian the photographer from Romania takes nice pictures. He's very friendly and kinda cute, too. :) One day he dressed up as a pirate and posed for pictures with us as we got off the ship.

The gala buffet was on Friday. From 11:30pm to 12:15am you could enter from deck 5 and view it. Then at 12:30am you could enter from deck 3 to eat it. The sculptures are ice and wax.

I thought the RC singers and dancers were decent. Other than them, I only saw Bowser but I think he left now.

You should play Majority Rules in the Maharaja. It was pretty fun. The karoake was pretty fun, too. If Steve-O, one of the cruise activities staff, is there, you'll have a blast. Clo the cruise director is very funny and entertaining!

Best Bartender "Clive" at Dizzy's 14th floor...best drinks...cosmo...;) , he was so funny, outgoing...he had that bar hopping...by the end of the night...he would have each person at that bar conversating and having a great time...one not to miss....

Don Mack in Crown & Kettle, was also very good..he would have the crowd get up with him and sing along...the whole bar would be dancing, singing away....such a great time..and the bartenders there..can't remember their names but was pretty awesome too.....

And if you ever run into George from Romaino...let's just say you have non-stop laughter.......

Enjoy and have a blast..

Keep all the info coming!!!!!! How great it is to hear all of this. I am sooo excited to gruise on the "Explorer of the Seas" on April 17th!!!!!! I love all the little tidbits of information. As you can probably tell i'm a first time cruiser and this is all new to me. It makes everything so exciting. I never understood how people could book vacations at the last minute. Part of the excitment is the anticipation of the trip. Love to hear more. Lisa-QLOTP

More and more thanks! I love this kind of information. What is majority rules? Is the keroke the real thing where anyone can go up and sing, or is it the talent show kind where you have to sign up? Sounds like the singalong in the Crown and Kettle might be a good subsitute!

For us last year, the best bartenders, BY FAR, were Gilbert and Sugar Daddy. They were at the Schooner Bar at the time. From what we learned from them, bartenders rotate bars every 3 or 6 weeks (I can't remember which). Ask them about the Super-Unleaded Long Island Iced Teas!!!!! Yikes!

Which itinerary did you do? We are going in March and are going to St Martin, St Thomas, Nassau, and San Juan. If you did the same one, do you remember which nights were the formal nights?

We did the Eastern itineary...the same one that you're going on and the formal nights were Monday and Friday.

We are sailing on Explorer on 2-13 and your info was very helpful. Thanks for the tips. I know we will visit the lab also.:)

The lab has tours and you need to sign up for them in the library. Just watch out for the announcements.

For the game Majority Rules, you are given a question and are to write an answer that you think the most people playing will write also. If you write the answer that was the most popular you get points. The answers really depend on what kind of people are playing. If there are mostly young people playing, the most popular answers will most likely be younger, newer celebrities, activities that younger people do etc. If there are mostly older people playing, the most popular answers will most likely be older celebrities, activities that older people do etc.

For karoake you do not need to sign-up ahead of time. Just go to the podium when you get to karoake and sign-up there.

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much info about the eastern itinerary here, but what about those of us on the western itinerary? I am planning on traveling in hurricane season though so maybe it is a good thing that I am learning about the Eastern itinerary, just in case!

We just returned from the Western EOS cruise...I loved it. I had planned and researched for this, our first, cruise, till I was blue and I couldn't believe when I finally walked across that gangway that it was for real.

As I wandered around the ship that first day I ended up on a spa tour. It is a two level spa, with the beauty salon and therapy rooms on deck 12 and the fitness center, excersise classroom, saunas/ steam room and solarium on deck 11. They were giving specials for treatments if you booked that day as well as if you booked on a port day. They had a nice couples massage available if you want some time away from the kids. The whirlpool on deck 11 in the fitness area was mineral water. Just outside there is the solarium pool and whirlpool which were always open (as far as I could tell). Hubby said there was definitely salt in the pool water, though he wouldn't say it was pure seawater.

The internet room was on deck 8, $.50 a minute. The library on deck 7 just below it was usually very quiet. I went there to sign up for tour of the labs, I think they do that just to try to keep the tours somewhat manageable. There was also a "screening" which was a lecture by a visiting scientist. He gave information and slides about the labs and what they are monitoring and learning. The tour included both the oceanography lab on deck 1 and the atmospheric lab which was accessed I believe from deck 12. It was while in that screening that I realized a cruise is for everyone....

I was awake late one night and started wandering....about 2 am the band was still playing at the aquarium bar, people were still wandering the promenade, Crown and kettle pub still going strong, Cafe promenade open 24hours, I sat in the quiet business center, listened to the reggae? and read. Kind of nice.

The late buffet (day 4) on the pool deck was good, Island music, line dancing, limbo. The gala buffet (day 6) is a must see. Even if you don't come back to taste (which you should) it is a visual symphony.

Johnny rockets was not crowded, and it looked like not many opted for what I called the $8 milkshake.

Our table was on deck 5 (highest dining level) on the port side window. I don't know how we lucked out. We had great sunsets almost everynight.

You can peer into the bridge from the peekaboo bridge on deck 11. They have some written explanation and a map of where we were which was fun to look at.

Definitely go to the activity deck, play a round of golf, (we did in a very stong head wind and it was hilarious), go in line skatiing, watch or participate in the volleyball, basketball, ex-games or rock climbing. I preferred the activity there to that on the pool deck.

The egg station at the Island Grill in the back of the windjammer gives eggs to order, I loved the omelets.

We watched sail away from the observation deck on the bow. (get to it from deck 4) (we got a full throttle horn blast !!) I also went there one night to star gaze...love those black nights full of stars.

Deck 4 promenade has shuffle board decks, that was good for a laugh. There are also ping pong tables a couple of places, try that on a rough sea day!.

Bon voyage parade was day 1, it was great. The captains reception on day 2 (first formal night, first full day at sea) free champagne and a formal hello from the captain (Pedercini at the moment).

The schooner bar seemed to have the most wonderful quiet music. Our table mates went to Karoke and said everyone was horrible...maybe you'd have some singers with you.

My husband loved the Quest, and love and marriage shows, said they were full of laughs.

Cruise critic meet and mingle was in Portofinos at 10:30 first sea day.. Clo said it seemed to be a time that was working well. Meeting fellow cruise critics was a highlight !

Last day the view aft from the adventure ocean (which was empty) was especially poignant.

Wistfully remembering,

Su

We were on the EOS last April and loved every inch, but the most fun was shuffel board on deck 4. No one was ever out there. Another thing we found very funny and I really can't remember what deck either 4 or 5 it is the deck the hold the art auctions on. There is a hidden area behind the elevators by the art auction. There is a heat scensor on the wall so if you have a bad sun burn or your hot anywhere else it will show it. That was fun after a few drinks.

Archived