Unusual issue - hotel policies

CocoaMom

Driving to ship and pulled up a map searching for specific hotels. Long story, but I expanded the map and came across quite a deal. It’s a County Inn & Suites (Florida, east coast) and it showed a rate of $15....I knew it was wrong/didn’t book. The following morning I went directly to the chains website and sure enough, there it was. So I booked and have email confirmation for a king bed, suite with buffet breakfast for $15 in peak season. It’s been a week since the booking and within 10 minutes the computer corrected the price. I’m familiar with error fares on airlines, but not hotels - do they in fact have to honor this?

If you have the confirmation they will need to complete the deal you have. I would just show up and take the room, if they try to up charge you, you would win the credit card dispute. But I do not see it coming to that the hotel should just take the lost and move on.

Unfortunately there isn't a law that protects you and the hotel may change the rate since it's so low that they will know it's an error.

Many hotel chains do have disclaimers on their websites protecting themselves from just thing. check the website under "terms & conditions" and you should be able to see how they handle it.

You have a confirmed reservation.

If you hear nothing from either the property or the home office, just show up to check in. (Do NOT give them a window to correct their error in advance by calling as suggested above).

Unfortunately consumer law is on their side--any contract containing such an egregious error such as the zero missing from the end of the price (normal high season rates for County Inns are about $150) can be unilaterally cancelled by the affected party.

So if you are notified of cancellation--or the reservation simply is no longer there when you log in--you are then free to take your business elsewhere.

So I logged into my reservation, still there confirmed. All I have been able to find is that they only guarantee the rate when booked on their site directly (do not guarantee rates on Hotwire/Priceline) - it did say the local tax could change based on any updated state taxes. And peak season rate begins at $199 so it’s not like they forgot the zero...honesty I’ve never had this happen before and hope everything is ok. Think I’ll give it time and contact them!

So I logged into my reservation, still there confirmed. All I have been able to find is that they only guarantee the rate when booked on their site directly (do not guarantee rates on Hotwire/Priceline) - it did say the local tax could change based on any updated state taxes. And peak season rate begins at $199 so it’s not like they forgot the zero...honesty I’ve never had this happen before and hope everything is ok. Think I’ll give it time and contact them!

Why would you contact them and give them the chance to cancel? If it was me I would not contact the hotel, you already have a confirmation, just go to the hotel at check in. The worst thing that can happen at check in is they change the price. But it doesn't matter, you already have a confirmation. Use the same credit card and after your credit file a credit card dispute. You have a paid in full confirmation. The credit card company will refund.

Yes it is clearly a error, if you point it out they could cancel and you lose. Or you could just go and they say nothing..... customer good will. But the choice is yours.