Fort Lauderdale: Long Term Parking(80 days)

Wayfairers

We have booked an 80 day cruise and I’m looking at options for parking our car in Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone found a good solution? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the top of my head, I'd look at a one way rental, each way. Sounds like a great cruise.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Don't know how far away you are, but if you are planning to drive down the day of the cruise and drive back home shortly after disembarkation I would ride down with a relative/friend/neighbor and have them take your car back home. Then the reverse 80 mornings later. Buy them a nice dinner, or a gas card for their car--well worth it for not having my car in a strange lot for nearly 3 months, or having to end such a long vacation spending the morning in line at a rental car office.

We are in NW Florida - about 9 hours from FLL port. No way would I drive down day of the cruise - too far and too many chances for issues. Got a rental car - we will drive the day before and turn the rental car in that day. Staying at a hotel that has a shuttle to the cruise port the next day.

If it was closer we would have a friend drive us and treat them to a great meal plus buy all the gas for the their car - we’ve done that in the past for flights when we are gone for several months - that is always the easiest way to go.

I found as low as $3 a day for parking (on website, not a quote so who knows what a quote would be), but even then a rental car is cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also, after 80 days of non-use, your car battery will very likely be run down due to the clocks/computer/car security, etc that is always drawing power whenever the car is parked. My wife's car sits in the garage (she cannot drive anymore due to medical condition). If I don't drive it at least once every week or so, the battery runs down. I had to purchase a small trickle charger and leave it connected to the car to assure the battery stays charged.

Also, after 80 days of non-use, your car battery will very likely be run down due to the clocks/computer/car security, etc that is always drawing power whenever the car is parked. My wife's car sits in the garage (she cannot drive anymore due to medical condition). If I don't drive it at least once every week or so, the battery runs down. I had to purchase a small trickle charger and leave it connected to the car to assure the battery stays charged.

We learned several years ago to disconnect the battery while gone on a long trip. But, the first time that happened it was a big surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We learned several years ago to disconnect the battery while gone on a long trip. But, the first time that happened it was a big surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I do is to give my car keys to a friend and ask them to come about every 10 days or so, at their convenience, to start the car, and either drive the car around my complex or use it to do their daily errands, I also make sure that the battery and the alternator is in good condition before I depart.

What I do is to give my car keys to a friend and ask them to come about every 10 days or so, at their convenience, to start the car, and either drive the car around my complex or use it to do their daily errands, I also make sure that the battery and the alternator is in good condition before I depart.

Good idea. We’ve left the keys when we leave the car at a friend’s house and asked them to drive it instead of their car at least once a week.

We disconnect the battery when it is parked publicly (hotel lot or monthly parking lot) not only to save the battery but that will also stop most thieves - typically they wouldn’t want to take that much time to steal the car if they even know enough to find out why the car won’t start.

We are typically gone for 4-6 months. Tried a trickle charger once when we left a car at home for 6 months but accidentally programmed the timer backwards so it charged daily for 11 hours and was off for an hour.....oops.....new battery time!