Ponant Le Lyrial

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:53 PM.
FL
14,436 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We are just a few weeks out from our Ponant cruise and there is so little information available here and on the internet in general.

I am very interested in the quality of their onboard internet. I have to keep in touch as I am a small business owner. I have no problem paying for their pricey internet, but need to be sure I will have a decent connection at least some of the time.

Also, my carrier does not offer a calling package with Ponant. If I use my cell for calls, do they slap on a roaming fee as well to ride their satellite? I cannot get a straight answer from the cruise line.

We are doing the Adriatic and I am looking into a MiFi rental if the onboard internet quality is not up to a good standard.

For clothing, I am assuming resort elegant would be appropriate, similar to what we would wear to a resort on the beaches in the south of France? For the Captain's receptions, does my husband need a sport coat?

TIA
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017

Amadeus Silver III, May 2018
AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017

Recent cruises:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
Snowbird Wanna Be's
711 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Yes, there is little posted about Ponant. We have an expedition cruise booked for 2019. We would love to hear your overall impressions of the ship, crew, food, etc!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity - Eclipse - 2017 - Baltic
HAL - Eurodam - 2017 - W Caribbean
Azamara - Quest - 2016 - E Caribbean
HAL - Zuiderdam - 2015/6 - E Caribbean
HAL - Nieuw Amsterdam - 2015 - W Caribbean
Celebrity - Reflection - 2015 E Caribbean
Princess - Grand - 2014 Alaska
Princess - Ruby - 2014 Caribbean Getaway
Princess - Crown - 2013 S. Caribbean
Princess - Golden - 2013 Pacific Coastal
Princess - Diamond - 2013 Alaska
RCL - Adventure of the Sea - 2012 West Med
HAL - Noordam - 2011 S Caribbean
HAL - Eurodam - 2010 E Caribbean
Costa - Allegra - 1999 E Med
RC - Song of America - 1984 E Caribbean
NAL - Vista Fjord - 1978 Caribbean
NAL - Saga Fjord - 1977 Caribbean
Sitmar - Fairwind - 1971,72,73,74,75,76,77,78 Caribbean
Sydney, Australia
682 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We did a cruise on Le Boreal in January to Antarctica, we loved it!!
In regards to Internet, I just bought the 100minute package and sent a message to my kids most days, sent a few photos and also put a few photos on Facebook, it wasn't super fast but for what I needed it was sufficient.
We found the food fantastic and enjoyed most things, the included alcohol was generous and we were happy with the wines provided.
In regards to dress, we were on an expedition cruise and I believe they are more casual, we certainly didn't dress up but had nice casual each night for dinner. The captains dinner more people dressed up, with many men in suits and jackets, the staff were in black tie. we were a group of 3 couples and none of the men took a coat or tie, however we were travelling for 8 weeks, climbing Machu Picchu, 4wd across the Bolivian desert etc, so we weren't carrying around heavy dresses and suits for our holiday.
We loved it so much we have just booked another cruise on the new Le Champlian through the Arctic
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2007 Pacific Sky
2010 Pacific Sun
2011 Navigator of the Seas
2012 Pacific Sun
2014 Celebrity Reflection
2015 Carnival Spirit
2015 Celebrity Solstice
2016 Radiance of the Seas
2016 Celebrity Infinity
2017 Le Boreal-Antarctica!
2017 NCL-Getaway
Edinburgh, Scotland
120 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
We are travelling to the Antarctic later this year on Le Lyrial. Do you by any chance remember how much the internet package cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Gold Coast
10,076 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by gogo65
We did a cruise on Le Boreal in January to Antarctica, we loved it!!
In regards to Internet, I just bought the 100minute package and sent a message to my kids most days, sent a few photos and also put a few photos on Facebook, it wasn't super fast but for what I needed it was sufficient.
We found the food fantastic and enjoyed most things, the included alcohol was generous and we were happy with the wines provided.
In regards to dress, we were on an expedition cruise and I believe they are more casual, we certainly didn't dress up but had nice casual each night for dinner. The captains dinner more people dressed up, with many men in suits and jackets, the staff were in black tie. we were a group of 3 couples and none of the men took a coat or tie, however we were travelling for 8 weeks, climbing Machu Picchu, 4wd across the Bolivian desert etc, so we weren't carrying around heavy dresses and suits for our holiday.
We loved it so much we have just booked another cruise on the new Le Champlian through the Arctic
Did you do a review?

Your travels sound absolutely wonderful. Like you, we always travel light when we cruise, as we do land travel as well. Dressing up is not expected on Expedition travel, which adds to the enjoyment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
3 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Dear All,

We would like to thank you for your interest in the company PONANT.
We understand that you need information about Wi-Fi on board.
Wi-Fi internet access is available on all of our ships, in both the cabins and the communal areas. One or several computers are at your disposal in the recreation centres.
Three Wi-Fi plans are available for purchase at Reception:
  • Plan 1: 100 minutes for €30
  • Plan 2: 240 minutes for €60
  • Plan 3: 1,000 minutes for €180
Please note that the Wi-Fi connection may be slower or interrupted in certain geographic regions or due to circumstances outside of our control.

We hope to have answered your questions. If this is not the case, we are at your disposal to answer them.

Kind regards,
The PONANT team.