Power strip with NO surge protection

abcoltsfan

Just off the Miracle yesterday. My power strip was taken by my cabin steward. I was confused by this as my power strip didn't have surge protection. I thought I was complying to their policy but when I asked the guest services I was told that mine didn't have a circuit breaker therefore not safe to use onboard. They let me borrow one of theirs so I took a picture of it and found it on Amazon. It isn't cheap but to follow their policy this is what is acceptable.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Medical-Grade-Patient-Care-PS-615-HG-OEM/dp/B00140S836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I researched Tripp Lite a little more after reading the above post from luv2cruise777 . They make all kinds of power strips, some with breakers some with surge protectors , in varying degrees of quality from home owner to medical grade. I would think that these would also be acceptable to use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B83E or http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Outlet-Industrial-6SPDX/dp/B000B61G7E at much lower price than the medical grade .

Unless you need one for medical devices why have them? Once on board my phone only comes out for pics on shore excursions. If people would get their noses out of these devices you might see more and learn more. Reading tablets can be charged over night and last all day. Most folks over 60 made a good living without all these and SURVIVED. Flame on.

Unless you need one for medical devices why have them? Once on board my phone only comes out for pics on shore excursions. If people would get their noses out of these devices you might see more and learn more. Reading tablets can be charged over night and last all day. Most folks over 60 made a good living without all these and SURVIVED. Flame on.

Like!

I always go and buy a new one a few days before we fly to the port, I test it to make sure it works, repacked in the original package, and take it on our trip. I usually buy a cheap one, 3 to 5 dollars. When I get home I use this one to replace the oldest, most worn one I have.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a power strip that does not have surge protection. I know that is Carnivals policy and have been looking to find one to buy, but everything I have found is surge protected. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is called an extension cord. :D

• 1 year later...
I have a Belkin brand - it's not a strip, but rather a bar that plugs right into the outlet. Mine only has two outlets, giving only one additional, but it also has 2 USB ports.

That item has surge protection. I shorted out half a hallway on a cruise with that one once. So, it does make a difference having no surge protection...make sure! (The voice of experience)!

That item has surge protection. I shorted out half a hallway on a cruise with that one once. So, it does make a difference having no surge protection...make sure! (The voice of experience)!

I hope you realize you're responding to a post that's nearly two years old, and the chances are pretty slim that the OP will see your response.

I hope you realize you're responding to a post that's nearly two years old, and the chances are pretty slim that the OP will see your response.
This Belkin bar is still sold and Its a safe bet that many people have it already. Thier comment is informative for lots of people, if not the OP. I have the Power-to-go one, but have been thinking about getting a usb one, so thats why I read this thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

No matter when this thread was started, I am very thankful that it was re-posted because I have been using a Belkin that has been great but I never knew it was surge protected. We have a family cruise coming up and I bought every cabin the same Belkin. Scrambling now to find ones that will be acceptable. Why go to all the trouble (you may ask)? Because on one of our first cruises, we had a surge protected power strip go up in smoke--we know it can happen!!!!

Special thank you to Chengkp75 -- I appreciate the research and recommendations you contributed.

I'm actually glad this popped up. I have the Belkin one that others have mentioned (the "SurgePlus", or such), and did not realize the rules had been changed on Carnival. And it's totally not something I would have searched about because I thought I was being SafetySuzie WITH the surge protection..... Had no idea.

Off to purchase something else for my next cruises...