Walkie Talkies??

pmoniz

It looks as if you’re on your cruise now. When you get back can you let me know how the walkie talkies worked out. I am considering them for teenagers as well as I hear the hub texting is not always reliable. What were your findings?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread is well over a year old. I am pretty sure they're back by now. The Hub app is much more reliable, convenient, and less annoying than walkie talkies.

This thread is well over a year old. I am pretty sure they're back by now. The Hub app is much more reliable, convenient, and less annoying than walkie talkies.

Thanks for your help. I didn’t realize it’s a year old post as I am brand new to the app. How did the hub app work for you on board. I read on another cruise forum that it doesn’t always work. True or false?

Thanks for your help. I didn’t realize it’s a year old post as I am brand new to the app. How did the hub app work for you on board. I read on another cruise forum that it doesn’t always work. True or false?

I've never had an issue with it. Keep it running in the background and you'll be fine.

As for new to the forums, welcome. Always be sure to check the date of the posts before yours when looking at old threads. :)

The walkie talkie is a great way to keep in touch. Me and wife use them all the same you plan to use them. Make sure you get the 35 mile range units. They work much better. You will be able to ring your buddie and let her know you are up even if you are unable carry on a prolonged conversation. Give it a go. It will work.

My first cruise my wife would text me to ask where I was. I would text the name of the deck and she would ask what number that was. If I told her I was on Deck 10, she would ask the name of the deck.

I turn off the communications aboard, and only use the phone ashore for tourist purposes only.

Recently back from the Conquest and used the app for the first time. Text occasionally did not work but it was evident to sender. Problem seemed to be occasional disconnect from ship wi-if. Needed to go to settings and reconnect. Not a problem once we found that out. Very useful for schedules as well. Can tap and make a list of favorites and will get reminder 15 minutes befor start of event.

The reminder for events with the HUB is the best!!!

I was reluctant to use the phone and HUB app but now that I have, will never consider anything else from past years.

Walkie Talkies, sticky notes, pen on paper, chalk on black form or dry erase markers on white board...nothing is as good as the HUB.

A cute tiny crossbody bag and you can forget you even have it (phone) with you.

Give it a try.

I've done walkie talkies on several of my cruises and they're good for keeping in touch with kids or family. Just ensure that you stay on the public channels so that you don't interfere with any other radios using that frequency. In foreign countries the frequencies can change and be used by government and military, so just be respectful in other countries if you do happen to come across a used non-public channel.

In addition, I would think if your in a foreign country on the same frequency as government and or military (even if it was accidental) it could have dire consequences. Spying on another countries government or military secrets (or at least they may feel like you are) could get you in a lot of trouble. I know this post is over a year old, but if anyone plans on using walkie talkies on your cruise and off the ship you better check that countries policy on using 2-way radios.