In Between Camps, Where Will My Daughter Be Placed?

JoeU

Hi everyone,

I've searched for this answer and can't seem to find it. We will be on the Horizon in July, and my daughter will be turning 15 half way through the cruise. By the age descriptions, that moves her from one camp to the other according to Carnival's age grouping. My question is, will she start out in the 12-14 camp, 15-17 camp, or move her from one camp mid cruise? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Joe

I believe thats a discussion you would have with the camp counselors on registration day. If she is outgoing and mature for her age and has older friends...I would imagine she would want to be with the older group. If she is shy and quiet....she might feel more comfortable with the 12-14. She could start in one group and move to other (once she turns 15)....if she doesn't like the 12-14...But by a couple days into the cruise...groups and little clicks have likely formed....so that might not be the best approach allowing her to blend in.

Thanks for the response. She's definitely the more mature type. we've always said she's X going in 30. Also, playing two sports as a freshman has also forced her to be friends with older peers. I know Carnival has "rules" on this subject, but I can't find those rules. I also agree that those "clicks" form quickly, and for her to break into an older click mid cruise could be a bad thing.

Joe

I’d be trying to get her into the older group from the start. It’s just a few days. It probably wouldn’t be good to get in one group, make a bunch of friends, then have to leave them on your birthday and start all over...on your birthday.

Just got off the triumph last Saturday and my son is 11 turning 12 in 3 months (June). I didn't ask but they offered to put him in the 12-14 group on a trial basis. We agreed but he ended up not going with either group anyway.

My oldest son was in the 15-17 group and they did a lot of organized activities with the 12-14s.

I definitely wouldn't suggest trying out both. As mentioned, the kids bond early on during the cruise. They only have a week together and get to know each other quickly. I wouldn't call it a "clique", but just having to start over making new friends in the middle of the cruise doesn't sound ideal.

Maybe try to get a hold of the camp newsletters for the different age groups and have her take a look at those before the trip and see if one sounds more appealing than the other. My guess is they would let her choose... but I'm just guessing here. Good luck and have fun! :)

I've read on this board that if your child is within 6 months of their birthday that places them into the next higher age group, Carnival will allow your child to join in with the older group on a trial basis. The Camp Counselors will communicate any problems with the parents, and move the child down to the lower age group if problems present.