how does Vantage compare to Viking ?

Thoth

I'm booked on the Vantage Rhine cruise for next year. Last year I was very pleased with Viking on the Danube, but they don't offer solo cabins on the Rhine. Vantage does ! :cool:

Anyone have some feedback on Vantage ?

I've done 8 cruises with Vantage and 0 with Viking so I really can't offer a ship by ship comparison. I can tell you that I did a price comparison between the two, using the same departure dates, itinerary, and cabin level and discovered that Vantage was cheaper than Viking. Don't know which Rhine cruise you've booked...Castles on the Rhine as our first Vantage cruise and it went from Amsterdam to Budapest(now it leaves from Bonn or Cologne) and this past summer we did Switzerland: Rhine and Moselle. Both of them were wonderful trips. I've only been on the Navigator, which has not been retired, so I can't tell you much about the new ships except that they carry more people (not a lot more but more). What made us choose Vantage the first time was that virtually all ship excursions were included in the price of the trip. There were two that were not and we did both of them. This is true of most Vantage trips....most excursions are included with a few extra one that are not. The non-included excursions usually involve a chartered bus, admission to a special place (Shonbrunn Palace in Vienna; Peterhof in Russia) and often lunch in a restaurant. The food on board ranges from very good to excellent depending on your personal taste. The cabins have lots of storage space and are very comfortable (we always go with the level right under junior suite, which is your basic cabin with a french balcony)....my cousin had a single cabin on our last trip(Rhine/Moselle) and it was very very nice. Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can. I think if you were very happy with Viking, you'll love Vantage!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

I've done 8 cruises with Vantage and 0 with Viking so I really can't offer a ship by ship comparison. I can tell you that I did a price comparison between the two, using the same departure dates, itinerary, and cabin level and discovered that Vantage was cheaper than Viking. Don't know which Rhine cruise you've booked...Castles on the Rhine as our first Vantage cruise and it went from Amsterdam to Budapest(now it leaves from Bonn or Cologne) and this past summer we did Switzerland: Rhine and Moselle. Both of them were wonderful trips. I've only been on the Navigator, which has not been retired, so I can't tell you much about the new ships except that they carry more people (not a lot more but more). What made us choose Vantage the first time was that virtually all ship excursions were included in the price of the trip. There were two that were not and we did both of them. This is true of most Vantage trips....most excursions are included with a few extra one that are not. The non-included excursions usually involve a chartered bus, admission to a special place (Shonbrunn Palace in Vienna; Peterhof in Russia) and often lunch in a restaurant. The food on board ranges from very good to excellent depending on your personal taste. The cabins have lots of storage space and are very comfortable (we always go with the level right under junior suite, which is your basic cabin with a french balcony)....my cousin had a single cabin on our last trip(Rhine/Moselle) and it was very very nice. Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can. I think if you were very happy with Viking, you'll love Vantage!!

clarification: Navigator has NOW been retired, let's blame it on spell check. OK? :D

thanks for the good word ! My cruise is Rhine Discovery...Amsterdam....Cologne,Koblenz, Mainz, Heidleberg, Speyer, Strassbourg, Basel. It will be on a brand new ship River Voyager.

The food sounds "excellent" considering that I'm easy to please :p I'm in the smallest/cheapest room available ( solo) since I'll spend every waking minute interacting and exploring.

Edited by Thoth

One thing that had me worried is that Vantage directed me to "My Portfolio" which was down for "maintenance" for 11 days. :eek: No e-mail confirmations since everything goes through the website. I came close to calling and telling them to refund my money but they did send me an invoice copy via US mail. I think everything is fine now :cool: My portfolio is now working . ;)

Edited by Thoth

thanks for the good word ! My cruise is Rhine Discovery...Amsterdam....Cologne,Koblenz, Mainz, Heidleberg, Speyer, Strassbourg, Basel. It will be on a brand new ship River Voyager.

The food sounds "excellent" considering that I'm easy to please :p I'm in the smallest/cheapest room available ( solo) since I'll spend every waking minute interacting and exploring.

Are you on the Inaugural Cruise?? I've been in all those ports so if you have any questions feel free....Cologne and Speyer were my favorites. :) The Rhine Gorge is amazing, be sure to be on the sun deck with your camera ready and word of advice..mark down on a piece of paper the names of the castles you take pictures of, in order if possible...you'll thank me when you're home sorting them out!! If you're planning on doing the Anne Frank House a couple of things to keep in mind: 1. buy your tickets on line ahead of time the line can be hours long and 2. if you're at all claustrophobic reconsider doing it at all. The staircase up is very steep and narrow....I have trouble with stairs and I'm a little claustrophobic....I couldn't do it. Strasbourg is lovely but depending on where the ship docks it can be a long walk from the ship to the city center. I know I'm going to pay for this, but I found Strasbourg a little disappointing. The canal cruise was wonderful but the free time in the city was only ok. When you're in Cologne if you like donuts, when you come out of the Dom look to your right, there's a little cafe with wonderful berliners....cream filled or jelly both were divine....and be VERY mindful of your purse/wallet outside the Dom...it's loaded with pickpockets....and they're very talented.

Are you on the Inaugural Cruise?? I've been in all those ports so if you have any questions feel free....Cologne and Speyer were my favorites. :) The Rhine Gorge is amazing, be sure to be on the sun deck with your camera ready and word of advice..mark down on a piece of paper the names of the castles you take pictures of, in order if possible...you'll thank me when you're home sorting them out!! If you're planning on doing the Anne Frank House a couple of things to keep in mind: 1. buy your tickets on line ahead of time the line can be hours long and 2. if you're at all claustrophobic reconsider doing it at all. The staircase up is very steep and narrow....I have trouble with stairs and I'm a little claustrophobic....I couldn't do it. Strasbourg is lovely but depending on where the ship docks it can be a long walk from the ship to the city center. I know I'm going to pay for this, but I found Strasbourg a little disappointing. The canal cruise was wonderful but the free time in the city was only ok. When you're in Cologne if you like donuts, when you come out of the Dom look to your right, there's a little cafe with wonderful berliners....cream filled or jelly both were divine....and be VERY mindful of your purse/wallet outside the Dom...it's loaded with pickpockets....and they're very talented.

thank you again ! :) The inaugural cruise is this year and I have to wait until next year. These ships book up quickly, especially solo rooms.

Between 1990-92 I was stationed at Ramstein air base Germany and I took advantage of free time to sight-see...it was an addiction. I've been to many of the cities and wish to return. I know what you mean about Stassbourg. Very good, but to me France didn't excite me as much as Germany. I had the same experience as you with ALL those Rhine castles. I took pictures and forgot the names :eek: Ehrenfels is one that stumped me for the longest time.

We always research Vantage, Viking, AMA and a couple of other lines prior to booking.

Vantage always beats Viking and AMA in price.

We have never cruised on Viking but once on AMA. We love both Vantage and AMA, but AMA's prices have moved up quite a bit in the past three years.

Vantage delivers an excellent product and the hotels on the land portion of the tours are always 5 star and in great locations.

I highly recommend Vantage. We are booked on the Portugal and Douro river cruise in May.

Also, you can pay early for a discount (other discounts are offered as well), not like Viking, paying a year in advance.

One thing that had me worried is that Vantage directed me to "My Portfolio" which was down for "maintenance" for 11 days. :eek: No e-mail confirmations since everything goes through the website. I came close to calling and telling them to refund my money but they did send me an invoice copy via US mail. I think everything is fine now :cool: My portfolio is now working . ;)

Don't despair....I have often posted, and informed Vantage, the only complaint I have ever had with them is their response time to e-mails and phone calls and their web site maintenance. Problems with "My Portfolio" have been rampant since they redid the page....sometimes it's better to leave things alone...especially if they're working well! BUT once you get off the plane and are in the hands of the Vantage tour people you will not be disappointed. They really deliver and they are the reason I keep going back to them. I've never had a bad experience on a river cruise with the ship or the tour managers.

We always research Vantage, Viking, AMA and a couple of other lines prior to booking.

Vantage always beats Viking and AMA in price.

We have never cruised on Viking but once on AMA. We love both Vantage and AMA, but AMA's prices have moved up quite a bit in the past three years.

Vantage delivers an excellent product and the hotels on the land portion of the tours are always 5 star and in great locations.

I highly recommend Vantage. We are booked on the Portugal and Douro river cruise in May.

Also, you can pay early for a discount (other discounts are offered as well), not like Viking, paying a year in advance.

It does seem that Vantage has better prices. Vantage seems to offer more solo rooms. Viking's new "longships" have no solo rooms. The Viking Prestige had maybe 3...that I knew of. This Vantage River Voyager will have 6 solos :cool:

To save $500 I will pay mine off a year in advance. Viking wanted 100% a year out but with no discount for doing so.

Don't despair....I have often posted, and informed Vantage, the only complaint I have ever had with them is their response time to e-mails and phone calls and their web site maintenance. Problems with "My Portfolio" have been rampant since they redid the page....sometimes it's better to leave things alone...especially if they're working well! BUT once you get off the plane and are in the hands of the Vantage tour people you will not be disappointed. They really deliver and they are the reason I keep going back to them. I've never had a bad experience on a river cruise with the ship or the tour managers.

You have made me feel MUCH better :D I've been hoping to return to Germany for some time. I had called Viking awhile back inquiring of a Rhine cruise, but was talked into a Danube cruise. That Danube cruise was just fantastic. Now I'm ready for that Rhine cruise that I had initially inquired about.

When I was in Germany with the Air Force, I took day river cruises. We stopped in places such Bacharch, Rudesheim and Rheinstein Castle. While Vantage will not be stopping at those places, it will be nice to see them again. I took the train to Cologne and Speyer. I just love those cathedrals. Bus tours to Heidleberg were popular.

This river cruise will bring back memories :)

When I was in Germany with the Air Force, I took day river cruises. We stopped in places such Bacharch, Rudesheim and Rheinstein Castle. While Vantage will not be stopping at those places, it will be nice to see them again. I took thetrain to Cologne and Speyer. I just love those cathedrals. Bus tours to Heidleberg were popular.

This river cruise will bring back memories :)

Been to all of those except Bacharch....not familiar with that at all. I really liked Rudesheim, especially the eis wine...liked Cologne too and Speyer too...the roman ruins were in some respects better than Rome's...and Heidelburg....but Budapest is my second favorite world city.

We also considered Vantage and Viking River Cruises,but selected and then cancelled Viking (penalized) and choose Emerald River Cruises ,a new line (a subsidiary of Scenic) formed in 2014. It already it has 5 new ships with more amenities than either V or V. The cabins are bigger, has a pool, exercise and spa , etc. all for less than V or V. We liked the itinerary from Budapest to Prague and will go this summer.

We also considered Vantage and Viking River Cruises,but selected and then cancelled Viking (penalized) and choose Emerald River Cruises ,a new line (a subsidiary of Scenic) formed in 2014. It already it has 5 new ships with more amenities than either V or V. The cabins are bigger, has a pool, exercise and spa , etc. all for less than V or V. We liked the itinerary from Budapest to Prague and will go this summer.

Look forward to your review....I've read mixed reviews mostly from some Australians who had serious problems with water levels and cruises that turned into extended bus trips....but they do have some nice itineraries.

Been to all of those except Bacharch....not familiar with that at all. I really liked Rudesheim, especially the eis wine...liked Cologne too and Speyer too...the roman ruins were in some respects better than Rome's...and Heidelburg....but Budapest is my second favorite world city.

I fell in love with Budapest .

It was neat the way the ship moored next to the chain bridge giving me opportunity to walk around on my own.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.

It is a wonderful place... lots to see. It is walkable from the river if your boat docks right in Speyer.

Fran

thanks Fran. :) Speyer is a lovely city.

Edited by Thoth