What to do with Luggage all day?

MVPinBoynton

Before I booked our TP cruise I remember reading comments about what to do with your luggage on debarkation day before a late night flight home. We basically have a full day to shop, tour or relax before our 11:00 PM flight. It sure would be a more enjoyable last day in Paradise if we didn't have to drag luggage everywhere. :D I have read that some folks get a day room, but if we didn't can luggage be stored somewhere at the airport? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're taking the Princess transfer, your luggage will be waiting for you at Fahaa International Airport.

Your hand baggage can be "checked" at the Sterling Steakhouse onboard the Tahitian Princess, and can be left there until you're ready to go to the airport in the evening.

We enjoyed our last day out and about on Tahiti, and then returned to the ship for one last meal and to retrieve our hand luggage. It worked out very well.fing39.gif

Captbill,

Thanks for your reply. We had not planned on taking the Princess transfers, since we have booked our flights and hotel on our own. It might be worth doing the transfer. I am surprised that Princess would allow you back on the ship after the next cruise folks have boarded. And they let you eat on the ship? This sounds like there are some interesting last day opportunities. Could you give me some more info on this? Thanks.

I am surprised that Princess would allow you back on the ship after the next cruise folks have boarded. And they let you eat on the ship? This sounds like there are some interesting last day opportunities. Could you give me some more info on this?
I was surprised too, but that's the way it was.fing01.gif

We had to be out of our cabins by 11:00AM, but were free to use the public areas of the ship until we left for the airport. We were free to come and go from the ship as we pleased. Our shipboard accounts were closed out in the early morning of disembarkation day (just like every other cruise), so any drinks from the bar are "cash only".

Obviously the ship starts getting a little "crowded" since you've got both the "old" and "new" passengers aboard. But it's really not too bad, since not all the "old" cruisers hang around, and also not all the "new" cruisers have arrived yet.

Many folks used the showers by the Spa for a last-minute shower before heading to the airport. (Remember, you no longer have access to your cabins.)

The staff did request that the departing passengers utilize the buffet rather than the main dining room for dinner on debarkation day. We complied with that request, though I heard of others who went ahead and ate in the main dining room. Note: The first dinner of the cruise (or the last if you're debarking) is open seating anyway.

Enjoy your cruise!fing34.gif

captbill,

That is wonderful news! I guess that since the Cook Island itinerary follows us and they are in port the next day the ship will be there, but I couldn't imagine that they would let us back on, particularly to eat. This sounds like it removes the need for a day room. Do you know if you had to have the transfer to take advantage of this fringe benefit?

By the way, have a wonderful trip on the Royal. We just got back from our British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise and I believe you will be going to some of the same wonderful ports. Have a ball.

This sounds like it removes the need for a day room. Do you know if you had to have the transfer to take advantage of this fringe benefit?
Having or not having the transfer will have nothing to do with being allowed to hang around the ship on the last day.

I don't know what happens with your luggage if you don't have the transfers on this particular cruise. (That was one of the bigger reasons I booked the transfer ... I wanted my luggage to be taken care of.)

We were on the cruise after CaptBill, hi Bill we were the aussies you met around 5pm with the C.C. group at the pool bar.

We had a hotel to go to but we did stay on board until after 1pm and had lunch in the buffet. It is a very civilized way to finish the cruise.

The only trouble if you are an independent traveller would be your main luggage as it is left on the wharf in a roped area, under cover. I am not sure how long it is looked after for.

I would perhaps take it to the airport and check it in and then spend the rest of the day doing your own thing and return to the ship for a shower and dinner. Just an idea.

Jennie

This is a very informative thread! I did not realize we would be would still be able to eat on the ship on debarkation day, either! We are a group of 6 struggling w/the idea of whether or not to get a dayroom. Prices seem much higher and checkin much later in the day than I anticipated, making the need/usefulness of one questionable. I have read that the spa showers get quite backed up w/too many people trying to use them. Did you find that to be true? I think I need to email Princess and try to find out out how long the covered luggage on the dock is allowed to sit there if we don't have transfers. Hate to have to make a special trip to the airport just to take it there and put it in lockers for later on. Might look into the transfers, too.

I have already ordered my transfers. They are $25 each and based on other posts indicating that it would cost $35 to leave your luggage at the airport, it seems like a no-brainer to me, since we would have to do cab rides to and from and to the airport to drop off the luggage, return to the ship and go back to the airport. This solves my last day in Paradise problems, other than the depression I will have from having to leave.:(

Yes, MV, I think that is a good idea. Think I will look into getting just the transfers back to the airport for that reason. I did read something, though, about if you go on your own you can beat the long lines that occur when the cruise passengers begin getting dropped off and have to go through security. That's also something to think about. :confused:

mlb,

I think we have been reading the same things. ;) My first thoughts were to use the first transfers to the airport and back and probably just take a cab to the airport before the masses get on the transfer bus; but since I still have 7 months before I have to make that decision, I will wait to hear what you do and how it works out.:)

mlbcruiser,

You are correct in thinking you had read about the long queues at the airport. We were on the only flight leaving Papeete at 5.45am and we were one of the first to arrive.

After going through the X-ray machine with our hand luggage we then had to open our carry on bags and they went through everything with a fine toothcomb including all my make up, toiletries etc. They then went through my husband's and he also had to open his shaving bag and explain what some of the articles were! This took ages and after us, they checked everyone else.

Our plane was lucky in that it was only half full at the most. We were in business so I couldn't see how empty economy was but if it had of been a full plane, we would have still been there hours later. As it was, we had a very bumpy trip back and the pilot went lower to avoid some of the bumps and so we landed nearly an hour early because of this.

Jennie

No doubt about it, the Faaa Airport experience is a huge pain in the butt!

When we went through screening for the late flight, it seemed that every single passenger had at least one bag opened and thoroughly inspected. The Inspector seemed fascinated by my wife's clothing-steamer. This struck me as odd, until it dawned on me that in Tahiti's hot & humid climate, steamers probably aren't in much demand ... just hang your clothes up and the wrinkles will fall right out anyway!045.gif

Still, having gone through the experience once ... I would probably just suck it up and do it again next time. I'm not sure how much "planning & strategy" I'm willing to put into avoiding the airport delays.

On another note, here's what I will do on my last day of my next trip to Tahiti:

1) We will once again purchase the ship's transfer.

2) We will check our hand luggage at the Sterling Steak House.

3) We will take the ferry to Moorea for the day and spend our time at one of the beautiful hotel beaches (Sheraton Moorea comes to mind here.) ... One note here: We used Hotel beaches several times for snorkeling and found that many (not all) FP hotels welcomed visitors to their beaches, and we made sure to throw some money across the pool bar so as to not overstay our welcome.

4) We will take a quick shower in the Hotel's "pool" showers before heading back to Tahiti and our last meal aboard the Tahitian Princess.

Those last day plans sound pretty good to me also Bill. I was considering going to Moorea on the last day; but hadn't thought about going to a hotel beach. That does sound nice. Is the Sheraton close to the ferry dock?

Is the Sheraton close to the ferry dock?

Not especially close, but easily reachable by Le Truck. It will cost 300 XPF (about $3 US) per person, just tell the driver you're going to the Sheraton and he will stop right in front of it.

Do make sure you take the Fast Ferry, not the Car Ferry. The Le Trucks only meet the Fast Ferries, otherwise you'll be have to take a cab or rent a car/scooter.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this has all been fabulous information for me - I will be on my honeymon on the TP in Macrh 2005. Being able to not worry about baggage/food/showers is a great way to end the vacation! Thank you everyone! Tanya

I have to disagree with the ship transfers. 50.00 is alot to spend, youcan get a cab for less money, change airport arrival time to NOT coincide with the transfer passengers so that you don't have to be in that LONG slow line.

You said you still had 7 months to decide on the transfers. So what cruise will you be taking? My fiancee and I (well, he'll be my husband then) will be on the March 13, 2005 cruise.

We are on te Cook Islands cruise, but we visit many of the same ports. I'd love to hear what you have to say about it all when you get back. I have been reading a lot of the threads and you have started quite a few with questions I had myself. Thanks.

Tanya

P.S. I think time moves slower here where I am - it seems like I've been waiting forever already and we seem to be still so far away from the trip! ;) But somehow I think that time won't move this slow while we are on the cruise. :)

I forgot that we are on the last Marquesas itinerary. There is a lot more info available for the Cook Island itinerary. It is an excellent itinerary, but I really wanted to be able to dive in Rangiroa; and the Marquesas sound awesome. Of course we will miss some wonderful ports that you are going to.

We do reviews with pictures when we return from our cruises that we post on our website. It distracts us from the post cruise depression and has really been very rewarding by helping people to plan for their future cruises. Due to the large number of pictures we take while on the cruise, it normally takes at least a couple weeks to complete it. Bottom line, we won't be able to tell you as much about our cruise before you go. But when you get back, the review will be completed. :)

If you haven't already been to the Tahiti Explorer bulletin board , I highly recommend it for getting really great first hand info on these beautiful islands. It is more focused on land tours, but they really cover a lot of subjects.

Because the trip is over so quickly, you really want to enjoy the planning process so much since it does last so long.

Of course we will miss some wonderful ports that you are going to.

We do reviews with pictures when we return from our cruises that we post on our website. It distracts us from the post cruise depression and has really been very rewarding by helping people to plan for their future cruises. Due to the large number of pictures we take while on the cruise, it normally takes at least a couple weeks to complete it. Bottom line, we won't be able to tell you as much about our cruise before you go. But when you get back, the review will be completed. :)

If you haven't already been to the Tahiti Explorer bulletin board , I highly recommend it for getting really great first hand info on these beautiful islands. It is more focused on land tours, but they really cover a lot of subjects.

Because the trip is over so quickly, you really want to enjoy the planning process so much since it does last so long.

Mike, too funny. So, your review will be ready by the time I get back from my cruise? *laugh* Uh huh. So if you are quick, and I need to know THAT badly, I can read your review while I am ON my cruise. :D

As for the itinerary, yes i see that you miss Huahine, Polynesia and Rarotonga, Cook Islands while we miss your two stops in the Marquesas and Rangiroa, Polynesia. Well, I have seen a few reviews of the Cook Islands cruise, but your review will be a new one for those that are interested in the Marquesas itinerary and that will be nice.

What kind of camera have you planned on taking (I have recently read that the TP cannot develop from every type of memory card/stick). Have you any advice?

Oh I am really enjoying all my planning. My fiancee is just 'mentally preparing' while I enjoy doing the researching and planning end. :) He is leaving it all up to me - and I don't mind one bit. Coming to the boards and reading gets me more and more excited every day. I will definitely check out the Tahiti Explorer board as you suggested. The more information the better I say!

Cheers!

Tanya

Tanya,

I will be taking my Canon S45 and my wife has a Canon S230. We also just purchased an inexpensive digital underwater camera. All three of them use compact flash cards, which makes it much handier. We also bring along our iPod with the card reader attachment that lets us back up the compact flash cards to the iPod. I have a terrible fear of losing all the pictures we take on vacations, so this has greatly reduced my stress level. Fortunately on the TP we can view our pictures on the in cabin TV.

Enjoy your research. You can't have too much info.

Ahh I see. Ipod sounds good but we aren't prepared for that ourselves. But the info about the cameras is good to know. We were thinking about getting a digital camera for this trip - yes I still use film. :) But I was also a little leary about losing pictures as well, and I have heard a few people have had their pictures developed on the ship and had a CD made of the pictures as well. We may go that route. Just see what others have to say and make sure we are well-prepared. Thanks for your help!

Tanya

Archived