Ocean Bar Post Drydock

dag144

We were on the Oosterdam Nov. 2016 and just returned from the Westerdam on 4/8. In both cases the Ocean Bar was vastly changed not so much physically as with its ambiance. On the Oosterdam the dance floor was gone and Trivia replaced the band during cocktail hour. Horrible. Also no hot nibbles. Patronage, at least from 7 to 8pm was slow and the bartenders were bored.

The Westerdam was different this past time. Trivia was banished to the Gallery Bar which was shunned by drinkers. While there was no band there was a very fine young piano player who filled the room when he played. He did three 45 minute shows beginning at 5:15 five days each week. No goodies offered at the bar, but some people must have requested them and they were delivered.

All in all this was a compromise but at least the Ocean Bar was not a morgue. Can you imagine Peacock Alley in the Waldorf or the Oak Room Bar featuring Trivia. Grotesque!

Were were on the Maasdam in June of 2016 and the old format with the band was the same as it has always been. I guess the "improvements" roll out with the dry-dock schedule.

Don't get me going on the Crows Nest. Management at HAL needs some old blood!

When we were on the Westerdam in 2016 (21 days), there was a group called "The Band". They played the first day for about an hour after early dinner. After that we never saw them -- they had to play for the shows and entertainers in the Show Lounge. Very disappointing compared to other long cruises we had on her. We did get hot appetizers during Happy Hour (4 - 5 PM) most days.

Glad to hear that there has been some improvement.

Thank you for your comparisons. Maybe HAL will listen and bring back the bands and appetizers in the Ocean Bar.

OK, dag144. Then I won't get you going about the Crow's Nest. Ha!! (Does ANYBODY from HAL's Headquarters actually take a CRUISE on one of their own vessels? I've determined they haven't.)

In answer to your question: No. Not only does it appear that no one from Headquarters, Seattle seems to just be throwing things at the wall, hoping they will stick. First the library was toast; now it has been reported that it will come back/survive (depending on the ship); now it is the EXC and diminution of the Crows Nest, and we will see how long that lasts. I understand that new ideas are necessarily or frequently are on a trial basis, but I wonder how thorough their research has been before implementing all these changes.

OK, dag144. Then I won't get you going about the Crow's Nest. Ha!! (Does ANYBODY from HAL's Headquarters actually take a CRUISE on one of their own vessels? I've determined they haven't.)

Some actually do, but only when Oprah is onboard :rolleyes: