SD 1 2014 Crossing to Tower Bridge

The A Train

April 26th to May 11th...........we did this one three years ago, and, we're doing it again.......our 5th crossing on SD!

Fran and Anthony!

I would love to do this one. It departs on my Birthday!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to talk DJ's DH into this one but I suspect it won't happen as doesn't want to "lose" a hour every couple of days.

Guess I will have to look at the single supplement rate:confused:

Haha DJ!! Yes, but that is the ONLY slight drawback. It's better than losing all 5 hours at once! You just can't beat SD sailing up the Thames. I still can't believe Berry agreed to go. I think the RAF museum at "the end of the trail" has something to do with it. I see him spending most days on the bridge asking his usual pilot questions while I will be relaxing you know where with you know what! LOL :D

Regarding the loss of an hour 5 or 6 times on an eastbound crossing, just adjust your "mindset", you're not losing that hour, you're just waking up an hour later next morning.......no biggie.

Also, Cunard and Princess have experimented this past year with making the hour change at noon instead of during the evening, so, that change may well be made by other cruise lines.

We did the cruise on SD2 to Europe last year and the Captain set the hour forward at noon Some people liked it and some did not whatever you set your mind to.

I certainly don't see it as a big deal whenever the change. If you are flying from NYC to Houston for example, do you not just change your watch whenever you land? (I do it at takeoff:eek:). But I do like a Queen Mary Westbound Transatlantic. 5 out of 6 or 7 days (depending on the voyage) are 25 hours long. :D Eastbound, the 5 days are only 23 hours long. Of course the voyage takes the same amount of hours either way, just a clock change thing so you do not actually gain or lose time anymore than you lose or gain a day at the International Date Line. At some point, you usually return from whence you came.:D

I think the RAF museum at "the end of the trail" has something to do with it.

Ohmiss, have you ever been to the RAF Museum? If not, it is fabulous, but I must warn you, it is not all that easy to get to! First time we went, it was almost a mile from the Tube. It's now much more built up and may be easier to get to (last time we had a car and stopped on our way from Heathrow to Cambridge). Enjoy!

And Jim, I reset my watch on take-off as well! Tricks my mind into thinking I'm really in the new time zone :)

Vandrefalk

Ohmiss, have you ever been to the RAF Museum? If not, it is fabulous, but I must warn you, it is not all that easy to get to! First time we went, it was almost a mile from the Tube. It's now much more built up and may be easier to get to (last time we had a car and stopped on our way from Heathrow to Cambridge). Enjoy!

Yes, vandrefalk, I have been to the RAF museum back in about 1990! At the time I was with a friend who lived in London with a CAR!! We might do the tube, just so my DH can have the experience...OR...I might be nice and ask our friends to take us!! Heehee!! I do know that Berry, my DH, a military pilot, will just have a great time seeing those very cool WW2 airplanes! AFTER I have my great time on my sweet SeaDream!!

So thanks for the heads up!! :)

Trying to talk DJ's DH into this one but I suspect it won't happen as doesn't want to "lose" a hour every couple of days.

Guess I will have to look at the single supplement rate:confused:

I was telling Mr. LePisto that as one of the "old-timers" who had done a number of crossings without a single supplement, even though its only 25%, it just irked me to pay it. It was implemented because couples traveling together requested adjacent halves of a Commodore and so got a suite at a really great discount. However since I will truly be traveling without DH due to school schedule I won't be cheating to get a Commodore!

FT

I was telling Mr. LePisto that as one of the "old-timers" who had done a number of crossings without a single supplement, even though its only 25%, it just irked me to pay it. It was implemented because couples traveling together requested adjacent halves of a Commodore and so got a suite at a really great discount. However since I will truly be traveling without DH due to school schedule I won't be cheating to get a Commodore!

FT

FT--are you thinking of doing this crossing too?!

I can't believe you talked DH into doing this! That's amazing. I would really like to sail into London but I'm not kidding about despising the single supplement. I have to get over that to book.

FT

DH is a closet SD lover! Last crossing he was always wanting me to get the coordinates so he could track us. He tells everyone how great the food is and what a good time he has had. He still loves to tease me and say "I'm not going!" I know he will love it! He loves sitting up in the bridge. About the single supplement...just me but, not having to share with anyone (except DH) is worth it. I love having my own space to get away and for 2 weeks of peace when I want it....well, it is worth it to me whenever I can swing it. Would love to see you again on this, FT!! I'll bring some Kenny, Zac, Jimmy, Lady A, DVDs to play on the big screen! LOL!!

GTY fares are $2799 right now, with the 25% Single supplement and additional fees of $630, while it is 15 days on SD, I remember my last crossing just a few years not being near that cost (and with the economy global inflation isn't to blame) for almost as long. I would likely do if heading from the Canary Islands westward in the fall but heading North in the spring? $300 per day. I'm glad for SD that this crossing is so popular- I got an e-mail from SD a couple of weeks ago it was 50% booked but I can spend some quality time on the beach while you are rocking and rolling up North. I'll be looking for the daily updates though.

I would really love to do this one. Even understanding that, from the Azores on, it will likely be bouncy in the Bay of Biscay and weather induced indoor time, sailing up the Thames and overnighting in London would be amazing.:D

I guess it was a fluke last time because the leg from the Azores was smooth sailing and hot! We skirted around the Bay of Biscay. I like to choose my stateroom, so when I booked 2 weeks ago Deck 2 was full (but still offering GTY), only 317 forward available on Deck 3. Didn't ask about Deck 4. I am looking forward to this, some people we met last time want to meet us in London. You do meet great people on SD, FT ;) One day we'll sail together!

You are right, the BoB can be fickle. Once had a Southampton to NYC Transatlantic on QE2 that was flat calm from start to finish. Then some others that were, well, different.:eek: A sea voyage always was and still is an adventure.:D We would really love to do this one but too early to tell yet.

I guess it was a fluke last time because the leg from the Azores was smooth sailing and hot! We skirted around the Bay of Biscay. I like to choose my stateroom, so when I booked 2 weeks ago Deck 2 was full (but still offering GTY), only 317 forward available on Deck 3. Didn't ask about Deck 4. I am looking forward to this, some people we met last time want to meet us in London. You do meet great people on SD, FT ;) One day we'll sail together!

You know to check back after final payments are due right? Sometimes, life interferes, people have to cancel and voila- your preferred cabin becomes available. Definitely on a crossing, just in case of roughness ( only time i've experienced even a bit was sailing out of Lisbon), non commodore on Deck 2 is my favorite. A deck 4 cabin doubles my spa bill on crossings:)

And yes we will :) keeping my eye on a Bridgetown round trip next spring (funny with all the ports, fees are less than the crossing!)

FT

You know to check back after final payments are due right? Sometimes, life interferes, people have to cancel and voila- your preferred cabin becomes available. Definitely on a crossing, just in case of roughness ( only time i've experienced even a bit was sailing out of Lisbon), non commodore on Deck 2 is my favorite. A deck 4 cabin doubles my spa bill on crossings:)

And yes we will :) keeping my eye on a Bridgetown round trip next spring (funny with all the ports, fees are less than the crossing!)

FT

How can we say this nicely?? SeaDream's fees are less than consistent with the industry?:eek:

• 5 weeks later...

So, looks like 4 CC'ers onboard.

We're following up this crossing with a 9 day Viking River cruise on the Douro, starting with 2 nights in Lisbon and then the 7 night cruise, then we fly to Malta, via Rome, to join le Ponant, a sailing ship, for a 7 dayer back to Rome, with 2 add'l nights in Rome, then we fly to the U.K. to join Queen Mary 2 back to New York. We'll be away 49 days!

So, looks like 4 CC'ers onboard.

We're following up this crossing with a 9 day Viking River cruise on the Douro, starting with 2 nights in Lisbon and then the 7 night cruise, then we fly to Malta, via Rome, to join le Ponant, a sailing ship, for a 7 dayer back to Rome, with 2 add'l nights in Rome, then we fly to the U.K. to join Queen Mary 2 back to New York. We'll be away 49 days!

Now that's a TRIP!:D

• 1 month later...