Corfu - Paleokastrista Questions

iujen94

Hi! We have a stop in Corfu on our June cruise on Celebrity. We'll be in port from 9am until 4pm and are the only ship in port that day. I've done some research, and I *think* this will work, but wanted to see if anyone could confirm (or offer alternative suggestions).

We want to visit Paleokastrista. While there, we want to wander around a bit, maybe relax on the beach, hike up to the monastery to enjoy the view, and take a quick boat ride to explore the grottos.

My plan is to hire a taxi from the port. From what I've read, I'm expecting the ride to cost about 90 euro round trip. Do I understand that I can tell the taxi driver to come back to pick us up at a certain time, and I just pay him at the end of the trip when we get back to the port? (FYI, we thought about doing a taxi tour, but wanted more focused time at Paleo and less touring time.) (I also thought about taking the bus, but the bus times don't look very convenient.)

As far as the beach - are there multiple beaches at Paleo? I'm having a hard time finding a lot of detailed information. Is there a beach (or area?) that you'd suggest?

As far as a boat tour of the grottos - I've seen references to going out for about an hour long tour. Are there companies at Paleo that offer something like this? This would be perfect for us. Is there a particular company that you'd recommend for this, or are there lots of companies at Paleo to choose from, and they are all basically the same? Any idea what the approximate cost would be for something like this? Is this something we should reserve ahead of time, or do we just "sign up" when we get there? (We aren't looking to rent a boat on our own, but to go out with a boat captain for a quick tour.) [Edited to add: just learned that a boat company we were looking at isn't operating out of Paleo right now because of issues at the port. Anyone know if this applies to all boat companies there?]

And as far as the monastery, how long should we allow to hike up to see it? Is it relatively close to/accessible from the beaches at Paleo?

Last but not least, any recommendations on a restaurant for lunch? Prefer something casual with great views.

Sorry for the endless questions, but this is our first trip to Greece, and there is a lot we don't know!

Thanks!!

Edited by iujen94

Paleo is a nice long beach divided in half by a promontory. On the right side of the beach looking out to sea, there is a small pier. The sightseeing boats are there. Just walk up. You can't miss it. No reservations needed or taken. Can't remember the cost, but it wasn't expensive. The restaurant on the shore near the pier was pretty good.

Edited by marazul

• 3 weeks later...

You could rent a car and drive there. We found the water very cold even in summer, not sure if that is usual at that beach. The best tour we have done inCorfu is chartering a boat the Nautilus, and joining several other roll call members on a cruise around the island, complete with lunch bbq on the boat!

Hi, we went to Paleokastrista from Corfu cruise port last September. We went via bus - regular and cheap - first pic shows bus stop just by port entrance - head left as you come out of port. For the timetable see https://greenbuses.gr/index.php/routes-en?rt=A9. Journey time was just 25 minutes. There are three beaches at Paleokastrista, but the main one is the best one by far. Though the beach experience was a little spoiled by the endless coaches of cruisers going on grotto boat tours :) - from the little pier on the far side of the bay in my pics. We did not try the grotto boat tour ourselves (so could not comment), or wander up to the monastery. But it was a brill beach. Second pic shows beach, and third pic shows nearest enjoying some light refreshment ;)loXxJl.jpg

61mPxP.jpg

N45S6z.jpg

Hi, we went to Paleokastrista from Corfu cruise port last September. We went via bus - regular and cheap - first pic shows bus stop just by port entrance - head left as you come out of port. For the timetable see https://greenbuses.gr/index.php/routes-en?rt=A9. Journey time was just 25 minutes. There are three beaches at Paleokastrista, but the main one is the best one by far. Though the beach experience was a little spoiled by the endless coaches of cruisers going on grotto boat tours :) - from the little pier on the far side of the bay in my pics. We did not try the grotto boat tour ourselves (so could not comment), or wander up to the monastery. But it was a brill beach. Second pic shows beach, and third pic shows nearest enjoying some light refreshment ;)loXxJl.jpg

61mPxP.jpg

N45S6z.jpg

Thanks! This is super helpful! I'm hoping the bus schedule will coordinate well so we can use that option - much more affordable than a taxi! Are there lots of places on the beach (or with a beach view) to have a drink and a snack?

SaveSave

We have spent a weeks holiday in Paleokastritsa the best beach is the main beach and the Monastery was only a short walk up from the beach 20 to 30 minutes if my memory is correct. You would not need much time to look around as it is not very big. We had a very good sea food platter at a restaurant right on the beach, cannot remember the name of the restaurant though, our favourite in town was Nereids but no sea view and a little way from the beach. The resort does not really have a centre it stretches along the road for some way, we did catch the bus into Corfu town and the bus was very crowded, we were obviously doing the journey in reverse to you would be the though. We hired our own boat for an afternoon so did not take a tour so unable to help on boat trip..

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Corfu last year but without a cruise. We are going to do the same trip but using a ship this time. I wanted to know about cruises more, is it worth it to spend money on it or not?

because last year we spend not a lot of resources on the renting cause our friends bought a house on Corfu and we had an opportunity to stay there for amazingly little amount of money. So, now I don't know at all should we try the cruise or not cause all money will be distributed...i mean food, accommodation etc

what would u recommend?

Hi! We have a stop in Corfu on our June cruise on Celebrity. We'll be in port from 9am until 4pm and are the only ship in port that day. I've done some research, and I *think* this will work, but wanted to see if anyone could confirm (or offer alternative suggestions).

We want to visit Paleokastrista. While there, we want to wander around a bit, maybe relax on the beach, hike up to the monastery to enjoy the view, and take a quick boat ride to explore the grottos.

My plan is to hire a taxi from the port. From what I've read, I'm expecting the ride to cost about 90 euro round trip. Do I understand that I can tell the taxi driver to come back to pick us up at a certain time, and I just pay him at the end of the trip when we get back to the port? (FYI, we thought about doing a taxi tour, but wanted more focused time at Paleo and less touring time.) (I also thought about taking the bus, but the bus times don't look very convenient.)

As far as the beach - are there multiple beaches at Paleo? I'm having a hard time finding a lot of detailed information. Is there a beach (or area?) that you'd suggest?

As far as a boat tour of the grottos - I've seen references to going out for about an hour long tour. Are there companies at Paleo that offer something like this? This would be perfect for us. Is there a particular company that you'd recommend for this, or are there lots of companies at Paleo to choose from, and they are all basically the same? Any idea what the approximate cost would be for something like this? Is this something we should reserve ahead of time, or do we just "sign up" when we get there? (We aren't looking to rent a boat on our own, but to go out with a boat captain for a quick tour.) [Edited to add: just learned that a boat company we were looking at isn't operating out of Paleo right now because of issues at the port. Anyone know if this applies to all boat companies there?]

And as far as the monastery, how long should we allow to hike up to see it? Is it relatively close to/accessible from the beaches at Paleo?

Last but not least, any recommendations on a restaurant for lunch? Prefer something casual with great views.

Sorry for the endless questions, but this is our first trip to Greece, and there is a lot we don't know!

Thanks!!

We took taxi driver for about 4 hours trip around island and Paliokastrica for 80E last May. He could wait on beach as well but water was too cold so we just stopped for some picture opportunities on way there. no need to hike up there, taxi can take you right by the door and wait for you . Remember you must be on board by 3:30 max so I am not sure you have time to do all this. Paliokastrica closed in afternoon so make sure you go there first and make sure you have proper attire to go in .