info needed about zakinthos

arl_nocaps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When we were in Athens last July 2017 that island had a major party scene. An african american young man was chased and beaten to death by serbian bouncers at a sports bar for some selfie taken with a waitress (or other unknown factors) - brutal. It made us leery in Greece, as a mixed american couple. FYI we had no problems, but we are an old married couple, not on the party scene.

When we were in Athens last July 2017 that island had a major party scene. An african american young man was chased and beaten to death by serbian bouncers at a sports bar for some selfie taken with a waitress (or other unknown factors) - brutal. It made us leery in Greece, as a mixed american couple. FYI we had no problems, but we are an old married couple, not on the party scene.

I hadn’t heard about this, so googled it. It happened in the resort of Laganas, which is the place all the youngsters go, who want to party all night and sleep all day. Every larger Greek island has a resort like that. Whilst a tragedy for the young man’s family, I don’t think too many cruisers will be in clubs in such resorts at 4 am! I am afraid drunken brawls are all too common in such places.

this is a port i never heard of. anyone have any info about what to see ?? sometimes referrred to as zante

arl_nocaps

We were there last September on the Holland America Prinsendam and took a ships tour to a winery that stopped at a small medieval church. Not much to see!

Ron

thanks everyone ---hmmm could be a day to spend on board as we have no sea days on my crystal cruise.

That seems a shame! If you want an easy day, why not just have a stroll around Zakynthos Town, where your tender drops you? It is a very pleasant place. Check out some photos online. You could take a horse and carriage tour. Have a nice lunch in a waterfront taverna - mezes and ouzo? Moussaka?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I presume both tours are boat trips? Is Marathonisi Island for the turtle spotting? We did a boat trip to Shipwreck Beach and the Blue Caves, which were fun to swim in and turn blue (!) with Nefis Travel who I mentioned earlier. This was a great day out. However we did not do the other trip so I cannot advise on that one. But Shipwreck Beach is the iconic sight on the island as seen in so many adverts for Greece!