Taxi to Bruges from port in Zeebrugge and return with Martins Taxi be cautious

We were quoted in writing of a price for 8 people of 50 euros each way and to tell the driver the exact time we wanted to be picked up for the return to the ship. We got to Bruges and were now told the price is 55 euros each way and the driver said she was told she had no choice but to charge us that. So I paid it even though I had it in writing but the biggest problem I had was I had told Martins Taxi prior to the trip we wanted a 1:00 PM pickup time for return to the ship but when I told the driver that she said that wouldn't work because she had already had someone else that wanted to be picked up at that time but she could do 2:00 which wouldn't work because the last shuttle leaves the cruise terminal to the ship leaves at 2:15 and it is about a 20 minute ride from Bruges to the terminal and she couldn't find another driver for the company to do 1:00 so she finally said she could do 1:45 still to close for me. I told her to pick us up at 12:00 and the other two couples took the 1:45 time. So for the four of use we took the 12:00 time and it cost me 55 euros more so it cost me a total of 110 euros and I assume the others paid 55 euros for their trip back to the ship. Not a company I would ever use again. The driver did say their other drivers were getting complaints about the same things.

That's why we did the shuttle bus they had right there when we walked off the ship. It was I think 20 Euros/person for the R/T ride and they had buses leaving about every 20-30 minutes from the train station. I'd much rather do that way, if it's just for transportation, then a taxi. I just worry that a taxi driver will kind of "hold you hostage" with a change in fare... Sorry they did that to you guys though! Thanks for sharing!

kctwinmommy

Thanks. Even though we have traveled a lot I always learn something new. In this case the risk wasn't worth the reward as the next port of call was after a sea day and in Ireland so the hassle of getting the four of us including 2 grandkids would have been expensive and difficult. If for example we had a problem in Ireland getting back to the ship the next ports were also in Ireland so it would have been an easier fix. So for us the key is how easy it would be to get to the next port.

Martins Taxis are a very reputable taxi company in the area. The fares are set by the local authority (not the taxi company) and this year the fare is 55 euros so your driver wouldn't have been able to change it even if she wanted to. Was your quote from a long while ago.

Not sure what you consider a long time ago but my confirming email from them was March 27 of this year. My biggest concern is when I emailed them I told them I wanted a pickup at the ship at 9:00 and I asked them for a 1:00 pickup in Bruges and in the confirming email they sent said just tell the driver the exact time when we wanted to be picked up. Of course they didn't tell me that they might not be able to give me that time. If I had known that I would have not booked with them.

Martins Taxis are a very reputable taxi company in the area. The fares are set by the local authority (not the taxi company) and this year the fare is 55 euros so your driver wouldn't have been able to change it even if she wanted to. Was your quote from a long while ago.

[Thanks for your input. But by having to get back to the shop before it sailed I wish I had known that before. Another lesson learned. Thanks again Bobquote=Morgans;56643711]Yes I agree that was unfortunate but it is generally the way it is done - by verbally agreeing with the driver a pick up time. A shame it spoilt your experience.

That's why we did the shuttle bus they had right there when we walked off the ship. It was I think 20 Euros/person for the R/T ride and they had buses leaving about every 20-30 minutes from the train station. I'd much rather do that way, if it's just for transportation, then a taxi. I just worry that a taxi driver will kind of "hold you hostage" with a change in fare... Sorry they did that to you guys though! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Cindy for your post letting us know there's a shuttle at the port. I didn't know this.

Thanks Cindy for your post letting us know there's a shuttle at the port. I didn't know this.

You're welcome! And we didn't either. But when we walked off our ships, RCI, there were several coach buses lined up. It was super easy and convenient.

You're welcome! And we didn't either. But when we walked off our ships, RCI, there were several coach buses lined up. It was super easy and convenient.

Thanks for the update..we will be there the end of the month on Celebrity. Hope we have buses right there too. The Cruise-Excursion shuttle company just sent me an email in response to a query I sent them..and gave instructions that still involve the red port shuttle to the ticket booth for their buses. You must have been with a different company!

when we made the mistake by taking the taxi a few weeks ago we were on Celebrity Eclipse and it looked like the buses were right there when we got off the ship I could be wrong because we didn't use them.

Thanks for the update..we will be there the end of the month on Celebrity. Hope we have buses right there too. The Cruise-Excursion shuttle company just sent me an email in response to a query I sent them..and gave instructions that still involve the red port shuttle to the ticket booth for their buses. You must have been with a different company!

when we made the mistake by taking the taxi a few weeks ago we were on Celebrity Eclipse and it looked like the buses were right there when we got off the ship I could be wrong because we didn't use them.
Fingers crossed. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Have just returned from Silhouette Baltics cruise.

We had booked Rony's taxi for 8 -€100 return. When I read this thread i emailed to check the price and it was confirmed at

€100 along with the agreed pick up times. The driver was waiting for us outside the terminal building and again later on the main square in Bruges.

Everything worked to plan and I would wholeheartedly recommend them. The bus to the terminal building worked fine and there seemed to be no problems for people that had booked the shuttle/express service to Bruges.

We managed a great walk around, coffee and a boat ride in the 4 hours we were there - it is so lovely.

We could have taken a free walking tour too.

[Glad it worked out well for you. Unfortunately the one we used didn't confirm the pickup time for the trip back to the ship.quote=waggie;56821805]Have just returned from Silhouette Baltics cruise.

We had booked Rony's taxi for 8 -€100 return. When I read this thread i emailed to check the price and it was confirmed at

€100 along with the agreed pick up times. The driver was waiting for us outside the terminal building and again later on the main square in Bruges.

Everything worked to plan and I would wholeheartedly recommend them. The bus to the terminal building worked fine and there seemed to be no problems for people that had booked the shuttle/express service to Bruges.

We managed a great walk around, coffee and a boat ride in the 4 hours we were there - it is so lovely.

We could have taken a free walking tour too.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just booked Martin Taxi for May of 2019 and Lou quoted me 100 euros, 50 euros going and 50 euros for the return trip. This is the same amount that we paid in fall of 2017. I expect that the service will be as good as the last time we used them.

• Like 1

Just an update..the buses were lined up right by the ship and we had no problem purchasing round trip tickets for 20E per person. Drop off was at the ship also.

The walk into town (and back) was longer than we had anticipated though.

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:39 PM, searaider said:

I have just booked Martin Taxi for May of 2019 and Lou quoted me 100 euros, 50 euros going and 50 euros for the return trip. This is the same amount that we paid in fall of 2017. I expect that the service will be as good as the last time we used them.

just booked through Lou this morning as well 2 vans for 16 friends for cruise in May on Serenade and was quoted in writing same price. 

• 5 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:39 PM, searaider said:

Hello!

We have booked with Martin Taxi for our upcoming cruise and I wanted to find out if you had a good experience with them again. Lou also quoted us 100 Euros roundtrip. Our ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00 pm. Would a 2:45 pm pick up in Brugge provide us with enough time to get back to the ship (including the port shuttle bus)?  

7 hours ago, familytravellers said:

Hello!

We have booked with Martin Taxi for our upcoming cruise and I wanted to find out if you had a good experience with them again. Lou also quoted us 100 Euros roundtrip. Our ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00 pm. Would a 2:45 pm pick up in Brugge provide us with enough time to get back to the ship (including the port shuttle bus)?  

We had another great experience with Martin Taxi.  They were waiting for us when we exited the port, and we actually exited about 20 minutes before the booked time, as we got off the ship fast and no wait for the shuttle to take us to the port entrance. Meant great picture taking in Bruges before the crowds showed up.

It can take a good 1/2 hour to get to or from the ship to Bruges but discuss the best time to go back to your ship with the driver before he/she drops you off in Bruges.  The port shuttle from ship to port entrance takes no more than 5 minutes if you do not have to wait in line.

Our group does not like to leave it to the last minute, so picked a time about an hour before final boarding to be picked up.  We were dropped off right next to the central square which is a bonus, as the buses cannot get that close.  Our taxi driver arrived early to pick us up as he said he would be there 15 minutes before the agreed time. 

By the way, the ship transfer bus drops and picks up people about 15 minute walk from the center.

3 hours ago, searaider said:

We had another great experience with Martin Taxi.  They were waiting for us when we exited the port, and we actually exited about 20 minutes before the booked time, as we got off the ship fast and no wait for the shuttle to take us to the port entrance. Meant great picture taking in Bruges before the crowds showed up.

It can take a good 1/2 hour to get to or from the ship to Bruges but discuss the best time to go back to your ship with the driver before he/she drops you off in Bruges.  The port shuttle from ship to port entrance takes no more than 5 minutes if you do not have to wait in line.

Our group does not like to leave it to the last minute, so picked a time about an hour before final boarding to be picked up.  We were dropped off right next to the central square which is a bonus, as the buses cannot get that close.  Our taxi driver arrived early to pick us up as he said he would be there 15 minutes before the agreed time. 

By the way, the ship transfer bus drops and picks up people about 15 minute walk from the center.

Thank you so much for the great information. I'm happy to hear that you were pleased with the taxi service. That definitely makes us feel more comfortable about using their services.