Pacific Star - disaster

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:21 PM.
3 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Myste, if you dont want to hear the good and bad then stick to reading P&O brochures, they will of course only tell you the good. I also think that your maths is bad as 99.9% would mean everyone excpet maybe one. I started this thread and I concur with Kathr, the P&O ship was a motel not a hotel and the food was canteen not restaraunt. You and I pay lots of $$ to go on cruises, and buying a product for lots of $$ one expects to get value for money, I did not.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that your experience is better. I also hope that you share your journey with others on this board as I and others have done. I will respect your view as I expect you to respect mine and kathr's, even if you dont agree!
Sydney, Australia
2,209 Posts
Joined Jun 2006

Kath, did I miss something?? I read the previous posts, and can't find anywhere where people didn't take your discussions on board.

I haven't cruised on P&O, through personal choice, but feel this is my 'home' as the other boards are too "Americanised". This is a public forum, so feel free to post your opinions and ideas!!

People do know that there are other lines out there, but for many reasons they choose not to go on them. I have been privelaged to be lucky enough to cruise outside Australia. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to but can't!!
Karmac, if i win the $21million this Saturday, you can cruise the Norwegian fjords, just don't hold your breath
I'm only 22, and am hooked for life, as many people are. I would like to cruise the Pacific, but it is not on my priority list, but I am sure I will get there one day.
Personally, I do like the big ships of America, I find them absolutely amazing.
I'm like most Australian's, and love to be laid back and casual. Find a cruise line that suits your personal needs and nature, and have fun!!
I just hope KathR that you decide to stay on these boards, and enjoy them as much as everybody else does.

Bon Voyage and Happy Cruising
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising Everyone.
Jarrod.

Up next:
Brilliance of the Seas ~ Scandanavia & Russia 19th August 2014

followed by:
Brilliance of the Seas Transatlantic cruise via Iceland 31st August 2014

Past Cruises:
Radiance of the Seas ~ South Pacific March 2012

Carnival Valor ~ Western Caribbean August 2011

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Sydney to Honolulu April 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Perth to Sydney March 2009

Rhapsody of the Seas ~ Sydney to Perth February 2009

Pacific Sun ~ New Caledonia October 2007

Diamond Princess ~Mexican Riviera October 2006

Voyager of the Seas ~ Western Caribbean October 2005

Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska June 2004

Facebook Group - Australia & NZ Cruise Addicts and other friends from all over the world
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Hey AuzzieCruiser...

Thank you soooo much for your response....much appreciated...

I have to admit that coming onto this board after a less than pleasing cruise has been hard. Why bother to post your opinion? Well have had 5 cruises that have more than exceeded expectations...

We love cruising, have done the Med, Panama Canal, Far East, Alaska, Thailand to Aus.
Pacific Star just didn't hit the mark in my very humble opinion and no comparison to previous cruises. To summarise
  • cabin bathroom smelt of urine (and bin not emptied)
  • tenders to shore took around 3.5 hours to complete
  • cabin make-up was of poor standard and in some cases was not completed until after dinner in the eve
  • attitude and respect from security staff was not as expected
  • food standard was really average
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by KathR
I won't bother to post any of my opinions or findings in future, as they seem to be not wanted..or taken on board...
That's a bit unfair, it as it would seem that you are equally as unwilling to take on board any views or opinions that differ from your own.

As I have said previously, everyone's cruise experinece is different - and it's only through seeing both sides of the coin that people can make up their minds about what sort of cruise they would like to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Australia
170 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Skyrules
That's a bit unfair, it as it would seem that you are equally as unwilling to take on board any views or opinions that differ from your own.

As I have said previously, everyone's cruise experinece is different - and it's only through seeing both sides of the coin that people can make up their minds about what sort of cruise they would like to do.
Umm, isn't KathR the one who has "seen both sides of the coin" here and is therefore qualified to make up her mind?
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by Have a Good Trip
Umm, isn't KathR the one who has "seen both sides of the coin" here and is therefore qualified to make up her mind?
Yes, she is, and I meant that as encouragement for her to stay around and share her experiences - good or bad.

But I also meant to point out that it goes both ways..... Those who've had a good exeprience should recognise that not everyone will have the same good experience, but those who didn't have a good experience should also respect the views of those who did.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Hey AuzzieCruiser...

Thank you soooo much for your response....much appreciated...

I have to admit that coming onto this board after a less than pleasing cruise has been hard. Why bother to post your opinion? Well have had 5 cruises that have more than exceeded expectations...

We love cruising, have done the Med, Panama Canal, Far East, Alaska, Thailand to Aus.
Pacific Star just didn't hit the mark in my very humble opinion and no comparison to previous cruises. To summarise
  • cabin bathroom smelt of urine (and bin not emptied)
  • tenders to shore took around 3.5 hours to complete
  • cabin make-up was of poor standard and in some cases was not completed until after dinner in the eve
  • attitude and respect from security staff was not as expected
  • food standard was really average
KathR - I have to agree with you about certain aspects of the cabins service. While we were more than satisified with our cabin service, the other two cabins in our group experienced mixed service - one cabin regularly wasn't made up until late in the day - and the other normally had the cabin stewards knocking on the door at 7.00 AM wanting to clean the cabins!

The tendering process was a bit slow at certain ports - but I think that had more to do with the ports rather than the crew. When we were at Yasawa-I-Rara the tide was going out and one of the tenders got beached at the pontoon - and they had to send tenders over half full to keep the weight down. This strung out the tender process... but we were always kept up to date, and they worked hard to get everyone ashore that wanted to go ashore and get them back again. Because of the stuffy condition of the tender boats in the tropical climate - the crew were handing out bottles of water to anyone who wanted it for the trip back - to try and make the tender rides more bearable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Melbourne
107 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
KathR and Rack62, I apologise, I hadn't meant to be rude. I really enjoy reading the reviews.
No Rack I didn't mean 99.9% of the population, just the people on this board, a much smaller population, sorry if i was not clear. I will just have to see for myself re the food as mostly I have only heard good from here and i am not prepared to judge without first hand knowledge. And yes I do respect your opinions, I listen and I make up my own mind.
And Kath please don't stop posting, I also am a mother of 2 and work full time so I can empathize with you.
I am looking forward to this cruise and would love to try another down the track possibly overseas like Mexico. But this is all I have for now and lucky to have it.
Kath you may have to advise me where the next one shouldbe, cause there certainlywill be a next. And I would love to try other liners - a friend is about to go on the Superstar Gemini around Asia and another is going to Alaska on Royal Caribbean (that does sound funny, I hope I got that right)

Anyway to all, please keep on with the posts, all information is important and if thee is a loss in standards it should be spoken of.
575 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by rack62
Myste, if you dont want to hear the good and bad then stick to reading P&O brochures, they will of course only tell you the good. I also think that your maths is bad as 99.9% would mean everyone excpet maybe one. I started this thread and I concur with Kathr, the P&O ship was a motel not a hotel and the food was canteen not restaraunt. You and I pay lots of $$ to go on cruises, and buying a product for lots of $$ one expects to get value for money, I did not.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that your experience is better. I also hope that you share your journey with others on this board as I and others have done. I will respect your view as I expect you to respect mine and kathr's, even if you dont agree!
I'm amazed at how serious this has all become. You are quite welcome to make your contributions as we all are. I think that what most are trying to say is that not all experience the same things. Your opinion of the food is canteen, my opinion of the food on the Sun ( that's all I have been on) was really great and the restaurant was first class. You have your views and I have mine but there is nothing that says either of us are wrong. You should continue with sharing your experiences with us because we all need to hear the good and the bad. Most of us are here for others experiences and sharing ours but in a more lighthearted manner without upsetting each other.
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I have a question to ask. Please don't shoot me down I am just interested.

rack62 & KathR, if you had such a bad time did you contact P&O on your return to raise your concerns? Also did you speak to the pursers desk on board to have them addressed at the time? More often than not I hear people say they had a terrible time but do nothing to try to improve it other than complain. I have found that a calm & rational discussion goes a long way to addressing issues before they "ruin" your holiday.

I know that my aunt has had cause to complain about her table waiter who was making nasty comments in Indonesian about her husband (now ex). He didn't know she could speak Indonesian and was well & truly caught out. He was disciplined and they got a new waiter. They funny thing is the next cruise we were all on together who should be our waiter but the same guy who did remember them and was fanastic. He is now a Head Waiter and I am sure that the little problem was probably the turning point in his career because it made him think about the passengers in a different way. We often seek him out and it is a highlight to find that Yuni is on staff on the ship we are travelling on or to find someone who knows him who can give us an update on him.

If you didn't feel comfortable addressing this on the ship, have you contacted P&O on your return so that they can be made aware of the issues and address them so improvements can be made? Did you honestly fill out your comments cards? We always take at least 1/2 hour to fill out the cards and give them our honest opinion and suggestions for improvement. My Nan has travelled on over 25 cruises and still takes the time to give her suggestions.

I'm sure that P&O read this board (they would be stupid not to ). But nothing can replace open communication from customers. BTW I would not suggest sending an email, that system is not particularly well managed but rather call them or send a letter to the CEO. Ask for a response and follow up if you don't get it.

Sorry for the length of my message but as I am sure you appreciate this is something I feel strongly about. If we all don't address problems we face they just become problems for the person who comes after us!!

Cheers,
Chaz
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 cruises down & not sure what is next!!
Fair Princess x2, Pacific Sky x2, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star x3, Pacific Dawn x5, Rhapsody of the Seas x3, Oriana (ok the Oriana cruise was only two nights!), Sun Princess x3, Sapphire Princess, Voyager of the Seas

<SMALL></SMALL>
91 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by chaz cruiser
More often than not I hear people say they had a terrible time but do nothing to try to improve it other than complain.
Just a quick point that I know holds true for P&O UK and will very likely do so for our Aussie cousins - the questionairre you are given at the end of a cruise is taken very seriously by P&O. It's not a complaint form so be sure to put on there what you have enjoyed as well as what was wrong. If someone has gone that extra mile to make your holiday special then mention them in the forms as it could mean the next promotion for them (there is also the CRUISE customer service award for that whee you can nominate staff). Do take the time to fill in the forms as it is the only way things that are wrong can be brought to the attention of the company and dealt with.
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I agree Heads. I always mention the staff who have given me excellent service!! I also have in the past sent letters thanking P&O and further extolling the staff who have my made my holiday extra special.

Too often we get focussed on ourselves and only comment when we are unhappy. Start looking for the good in life!!

Cheers,
Chaz
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 cruises down & not sure what is next!!
Fair Princess x2, Pacific Sky x2, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star x3, Pacific Dawn x5, Rhapsody of the Seas x3, Oriana (ok the Oriana cruise was only two nights!), Sun Princess x3, Sapphire Princess, Voyager of the Seas

<SMALL></SMALL>
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Hi..

Yes, lodged complaint whilst on ship, there was plenty of interaction with the Officers, but it all resulted in a standard response.
Completed the questionnaire too...and championed the good bits...nominated the table waiter for an award and gave him a great tip..
...the good little cruisers that we are

Written to the CEO since we returned...(no response as yet)

All in all we had a great time, but comparison $ for $ with other cruise lines...no comparison.

Totally managed our own expectations pre-cruise that the ship was dated, and fully expected to be underwhelmed, but not in the areas described.

I don't know what anyone else felt, but the sea was a little lumpy in parts of the voyage, and, although I love that feeling when going to sleep, everything in the cabin rattled...so sleep wasn't easy

Agree that we need to be less serious....

We really enjoyed our cruise. Entertainment was great and the Company superb...just wouldn't go back...

Cheers,

Kath
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I don't know what anyone else felt, but the sea was a little lumpy in parts of the voyage, and, although I love that feeling when going to sleep, everything in the cabin rattled...so sleep wasn't easy
We sailed out through the tail edge of Cyclone Wati - and I reckon that on the first night of the cruise we could identify every creek and groan of the walls, cupboards floors etc, in our cabin! But after that first rough night it wasn't too bad - maybe because we'd had the worst at the start - and the rest of the nights were quiet by comparison!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
I'm very sorry to hear about your experience on the cruise. I know people who have been on these cruises and not one of them said it was fantastic. In fact all i heard was negative things from them. The food was terrible, the staff were unfriendly even the people on board. I don't think i'll be considering going on a cruise. No offence to everyone who likes them but it just makes me sick and to think about all thats happened. Hopefully P&O will find a way to fix up their reputation and attract the right sort of people.
368 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I saw a friend of mine today that came back on the cruise that limped into Auckland. Her only complaint was the comlaining people onboard. One lady reckon there was nothing to do, friend asked if she had been to the piano bar, lady said, "No, where is that" and so it went on. Friend loved the food, loved the shows and the stopovers. Even the ship breaking down a bit didn't dampen her enjoyment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P424 Pacific Sky 2004
P524 Pacific Sky 2005
P602N Pacific Sky 2006
H702 Sapphire Princess - 2007 Sydney-Auckland
N829 Pacific Sun 2008 - Auckland -Brisbane
N011N Pacific Sun 2010
P118 Pacific Pearl 2011 - Sunshine Odyssey
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by rockie
I saw a friend of mine today that came back on the cruise that limped into Auckland. Her only complaint was the comlaining people onboard. One lady reckon there was nothing to do, friend asked if she had been to the piano bar, lady said, "No, where is that" and so it went on. Friend loved the food, loved the shows and the stopovers. Even the ship breaking down a bit didn't dampen her enjoyment.
We have often commented that the worst thing about our cruises has been our fellow passengers! (excluding those who were travelling with us of course!!). It would be nice to charter a whole ship and have it all to our selves!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Torbanlea
38 Posts
Joined Jun 2006

Written to the CEO since we returned...(no response as yet)
Kath,

I've been reading this thread since u originally posted as I'm going on the star later this month.
I appreciate your honesty and your opinion.
At first I was Gobsmacked, I had only heard positive things in the past, then I felt sick (What if we'd spent all this money on a bodgy cruise)?
Now I figure, after all the posts on this thread, there is good and bad in everything and I'm just gonna go and make the most of it!

I'd be very interested to hear how you go with your letter to the CEO.

Thanks
Mel
Liverpool NSW
7,019 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Melkaista

........there is good and bad in everything and I'm just gonna go and make the most of it!

Thanks
Mel
Good decision Mel. A holiday is what you make of it. Go with an open mind and I'm sure you won't be dissappointed. My neighbour's daughter & granddaughter just got off the Star on Sunday and had a ball, couldn't fault it in any way. And that is what most people say which was why I was surprised when I read the post by L90 who has NEVER heard a positive thing about it. I hope you have a wonderful time and I hope you let us know all about it when you get back.

Karen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

Good friends are worth more than money in the bank - that's what I always say

*SS Australis-Sydney to Southampton-28th July -31st August 1975
*Tss Fairstar-Coral Sea Cruise-6th September-22nd September 1986
*Pacific Sun-N611-2nd April-13th April 2006
*Pacific Dawn-W735-9th November-23rd November 2007
*Pacific Dawn-W909-20th March-6th April 2009
*Pacific Dawn-W929-21st Oct-31st Oct 2009
*Pacific Jewel-J029-22nd Sept-30th Sept 2010