Sail & Sign - Multiple Cabins with 1 Credit Card

I have 3 cabins booked on Carnival Magic. I’ll be using 1 credit card for Sail & Sign charging on all 3 rooms. Does anyone know if Carnival will place 1 “hold” on the card or 3 separate “holds”. Our cruise is 7 days so I think the initial hold will be $200 per cabin- so a total initial hold of $600 for the 3 cabins, but just trying to confirm that. We won’t be charging very much as we all have a beverage package and have prepaid our gratuities & also a $50 credit. Thanks for any info you might have.

Most likely it will be 1 single test charge done by Carnival, but for the aggregated total of the 3 cabins. The reservation test charge done by Carnival on embarkation day, that banks interpret as a hold will be based on how many cabins worth of passengers that will be authorized users of your credit or debit card for onboard purchases. If you do not link your S&S account to others in different cabins for their S&S account use then the test charge will only reflect your cabin.

With the test charges they do not take into account what if any prepayments have been done or credits from OBC or other means might already be on the account. They just want a general idea if the card can handle the possibility of the statistical average total charge per cabin.

The best thing to do is contact your card's issuing company or bank and ask how they handle test and/or reservation charges, and how soon the transaction falls off without an authorization number. Most traditional credit cards issued by a national bank will dump a transaction comes through with an authorization # from the same vendor and location. Many debit and local bank issued credit cards will not. With a debit card the best you can hope for is the bank does not leave their hold on the test charge up for the full 10 banking days as allowed for under banking regulations. While smaller banks that issue their own credit card may do the same for 3 days after a transaction with authorization is sent.

If the bank or card company policy regarding the "hold" on the card's reservation test charge is not to your satisfaction, and it's possible to do prior to boarding you might consider purchasing Carnival gift or e-card(s) to place on the other passengers' folios for whom you are assuming financial responsibility. Basically prior to boarding you buy the GC or EC on your credit card, sever the linked passengers from your account. Then once on board use the gift card to set up their on board spending accounts. You will need their folio numbers to do so and if adults (18 & older) Guest Services might ask that they are present. A gift card minimum purchase is $100, but on board when using it to make a deposit to a folio a specific amount can be designated, with a single gift card being divided across many S&S accounts. Any remainder not designated will stay on the card.

The only bad thing is to get cash back on unused GC credits is a visit to self close each of the folios out on the last night will be required. Again if other adults are involved they will be require to be present. Otherwise if Carnival auto-closes the account, for amounts of $10 or more a new GC will be mailed to the address on file for that folio's passenger VIFP number. Accounts with $9.99 or less will be donated to Saint Judes Children's Cancer Research Hospital.

I know this is not any of our business but I hope you have made your spending arrangements since if the other people are adults, they will be able to charge to the Sign and Sail account and you and the credit card will be expected to cover it. If I were buying a cruise for others- I would buy a few Carnival gift cards to cover their charges and keep my credit card to myself.

Enjoy

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I know this is not any of our business but I hope you have made your spending arrangements since if the other people are adults, they will be able to charge to the Sign and Sail account and you and the credit card will be expected to cover it. If I were buying a cruise for others- I would buy a few Carnival gift cards to cover their charges and keep my credit card to myself.

Enjoy

"I’ll be using 1 credit card for Sail & Sign charging on all 3 rooms"

I think it's pretty clear he knows he's paying for all 3 cabins. your right it's none of your business.