1 day in NYC post cruise

jessw_2033

Hi All! I know people post similar questions on here frequently, but I've not been able to find any circumstances that match ours exactly. So...here goes. All the help you can give is greatly appreciated.

We are cruising on Anthem out of Cape Liberty Sept 15-20, 2018. When we arrive back at port on Sept 20th, we plan to do early departure as we usually do and make our way to tour NYC. We do not fly out of EWR until the next day, Friday Sept 21st at 1:30 pm. I had read a few weeks back that Hilton Newark Penn Station was a good place to stay so went ahead and booked for Thursday night to lock something in. However, my husband and I really want to attend the Kelly and Ryan show on Fri morning on Lincoln Square. I was told by a friend who recently attended the show that you are suppose to be there pretty early. So, do I keep our reservations and just wake early on our final day of vacation and travel over to Lincoln Square or do I find something closer to that area to stay Thurs night or can we make the showing for Thurs morning after departing the ship? Also, if we keep our reservations for Hilton Newark, will they hold our luggage since check in isn't until like 2pm on Thurs and then just head into the city? Is it hard to get to the Statue of Liberty from Newark and what other recommendations would you make for First Timers to NYC to see with such limited time? Lastly, what time would we need to leave NYC to make our 1:30 flight out of EWR?

My first suggestion would be to change your hotel, if possible. Please bring up your favorite mapping software and take a look at the locations. (Cape Liberty is on the West shore of the Hudson, south of Hoboken - the southern of two large piers jutting into NY Harbor.) You've got a lot of traveling in a short time. Manhattan is across the Hudson, and Newark is in the other direction, inland.

We've not seen the Kelly Lee Show (thanks David Letterman), but we DID attend a taping of the Chew around the corner in the same complex, and talked to regulars who see them, The Chew, and The View. Yes you WILL want to arrive early. Here's a link with more info on TV tapings in NY (although I'd never pay for the guide they promote) https://www.nytix.com/TVShows/index.html

Even within Manhattan, your choices are distant (although the #1 subway train will take you directly between the two locations). Lincoln Center is on the Upper West Side around 65th & Broadway, and ferries to the Statue of Liberty depart from Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan. (Get advance reservations and tickets https://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm) Alternately, there are ferries from the NJ side of the river from near the Port Liberty terminal.

And any hotel will hold your bags after checkout. You'll want to tip the bellman who takes them and gives you claim stubs - and rarely there's a small fee at the hotel.

And not that you asked, I recommend car services like Dial7 or Carmel Limo for transportation with luggage between airports, piers and hotels and subways when sightseeing without luggage within Manhattan. (And PATH or other train to/from NJ, if you stay there)

Good luck. It's an amazing city. We're spending six nights there before our cruise in September. Our twentieth visit since we got hooked on our first in 1996. (I actually counted the other day)

As to what to see?

You could take a week, but the most popular sights include

• Times Square & Broadway
  • 9/11 Memorial, Museum and the new Liberty Tower
  • Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
  • Empire State Building (don't pay for the extra rides and attractions)
  • Museums
    • Metropolitan Museum of Art
    • Museum of Modern Art (and Met Breuer branch)
    • Guggenheim
    • Whitney Museum of American Art
    • Frick Collection
    • The Cloisters
    • (Brooklyn Art Museum - in Brooklyn, duh!)
    • and the wonderful American Museum of Natural History
      (and Planetarium - home of Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

[*]Shopping

[*]Central Park

[*]Grand Central Terminal

[*]Rockefeller Center & St Patrick's Cathedral

[*]United Nations

[*]High Line Park

[*]Lincoln Center

[*]Chelsea Piers

[*]West/East Village, Washington Square & Chinatown

[*]Harlem

[*]SoHo & Tribeca

[*]Brooklyn

[*]Macys & Madison Square Garden (although there's nothing to see for MSG)

[*]Ballgames at Yankee Field in the Bronx or Citi Field in Queens.

It really takes your own decisions as to prioritization and then taking a look at a map. (Personally, I see value in all of 'em)

Although Google Maps shows subway routes and stations, you may find the MTA site helpful http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

- Mark

Hi All! I know people post similar questions on here frequently, but I've not been able to find any circumstances that match ours exactly. So...here goes. All the help you can give is greatly appreciated.

We are cruising on Anthem out of Cape Liberty Sept 15-20, 2018. When we arrive back at port on Sept 20th, we plan to do early departure as we usually do and make our way to tour NYC. We do not fly out of EWR until the next day, Friday Sept 21st at 1:30 pm. I had read a few weeks back that Hilton Newark Penn Station was a good place to stay so went ahead and booked for Thursday night to lock something in. However, my husband and I really want to attend the Kelly and Ryan show on Fri morning on Lincoln Square. I was told by a friend who recently attended the show that you are suppose to be there pretty early. So, do I keep our reservations and just wake early on our final day of vacation and travel over to Lincoln Square or do I find something closer to that area to stay Thurs night or can we make the showing for Thurs morning after departing the ship? Also, if we keep our reservations for Hilton Newark, will they hold our luggage since check in isn't until like 2pm on Thurs and then just head into the city? Is it hard to get to the Statue of Liberty from Newark and what other recommendations would you make for First Timers to NYC to see with such limited time? Lastly, what time would we need to leave NYC to make our 1:30 flight out of EWR?

You need to plan all your sightseeing for Thursday. It will not be possible to self disembark and make the TV show on Thurs. Better advice can be given once you identify your sightseeing objectives.

What is your hotel budget? Sep 20 is one of the most expensive times for NY hotels.

When the TV show is over, you will have to head back to Newark fairly immediately because you will also have to pick up your luggage somewhere. Timings can be better determined once you finalize your hotel.

The idea of staying at the EWR hotel is that it is economical. If you want to spend the extra money for the convenience then go for it but you’ll have to figure the transportation into the equation. Lincoln Square is not THAT much further than Times Square using public transportation. Maybe 20 mins tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Hilton Penn Station Newark offers an EWR shuttle, but is located in downtown Newark attached to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk. Staying there would significantly reduce the travel time by NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station.

New York hotels are very pricey for the OP's date.