Buying alcohol in port...

cruiseonthebrain

OK- I cringe to even type this, but I can't find it addressed anywhere else.

Carnival doesn't carry the scotch that I like (I know that may seem picky, but it's just how it is). I really don't want to try to pack scotch in an RR because drinking it out of a plastic bag kind of ruins the ambience for me.

My question is are there places to buy liquor in Alaskan ports and has anyone been successful in bringing an actual bottle back onboard.

I know, I know- I could just drink what is available or not drink at all. And I am going to "the warm" place for even thinking about bringing a bottle of my own onboard. But I would really like to know if anyone has actually experienced this.

Thanks much!

I have never noticed any liquor outlets on any of our Alaskan cruises, but we haven't been looking. This is not like the Caribbean where things are duty free. If you can find liquor it is going to be at least as expensive as at home and probably a lot more because you are paying all of the same taxes that you pay at home plus Alaskan state taxes.

Good luck finding what you want!

Thank you! That is kind of what I thought. I remember Alaska being pretty expensive when I was there for work a few years back.

I'm not really looking for cheap- just the type I want. I would pay Carnival for it if they offered it but they don't. I figure this is a once in a lifetime trip for me and I would love to be able to sit out on the balcony I have dreamt about forever (Carnival Legend Vista Suite) and sip on my fine aged scotch. Sigh..,

Scotch brand ?

CCL and Alaska are not exactly high end scotch outlets. More like beer, esp. Alaska. I remember reading of an Alaskan brewery, probably Alaska Brewery by name, in Ketchikan if I recall correctly. Found out city bus went within blocks.Driver sings out beer stop. Turns out you can have up to 6 6oz glasses gratis. It was the locals fav watering hole. I understand the need for bottle vs. RR. Was in Asia on ship(Oceania) which tolerates bringing on any kind of alcohol. Asians set up a tent like 50 ft from ship. They had .375 oz bottles of Johnny Red/Black. Cutest little bottle, fits fine in checked bag.So BYOB if necessary.

Edited by zoncom

I don't want to sound like a complete pretentious a hole. Here is what I envisioned- sitting out on that balcony I have dreamt of in Tracy Fjord on probably my last big trip ever sipping on a glass or two of Johnnie Walker Blue (not the most expensive but I reall enjoy it when I can get it and afford it).

I'm not looking to smuggle or scam. But damn I would love to have that memory!

I don't want to sound like a complete pretentious a hole. Here is what I envisioned- sitting out on that balcony I have dreamt of in Tracy Fjord on probably my last big trip ever sipping on a glass or two of Johnnie Walker Blue (not the most expensive but I reall enjoy it when I can get it and afford it).

We have never did Carnival Cruise lines, but most of our many years on the high seas have been with two of Carnival Corp's name brands. The way I understand it is that CCL has the most extensive nickel and dime game going in the industry, except for RCI. (http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=46) You can't bring any liquor on board period, except one bottle of wine at embarkation, or at any other port, even if you pay extra for it and that includes wine, which is also a no-no.

So, if they don't offer "Johnnie Walker Blue" on board, which you might find in the Southeast Alaska ports as there are a lot of scotch drinkers down there, and I understand that in the Juneau COSTCO they have the Johnnie Walker Blue Label there, priced at $149. Anyway, sounds to me like you should prepare to smuggle. Sorry, I appreciate your anguish. Maybe you chose the wrong cruise line.

So pack a small bottle of your favorite liquor in your suitcase. Worse case scenario, they'll confiscate it and you're out the cost of that bottle. It's not like they'll deny you boarding and throw you in prison for 10 yrs!

As a back up plan, google 'liquor store, ketchikan' and get a list of liquor stores at your first port. And give it another try.

I've only been on 2 cruises and both times I packed a bottle from home in my suitcase. No one caught it; no problem.

So pack a small bottle of your favorite liquor in your suitcase. Worse case scenario, they'll confiscate it and you're out the cost of that bottle. It's not like they'll deny you boarding and throw you in prison for 10 yrs!

As a back up plan, google 'liquor store, ketchikan' and get a list of liquor stores at your first port. And give it another try.

I've only been on 2 cruises and both times I packed a bottle from home in my suitcase. No one caught it; no problem.

Thank you- this is actually brilliant and I feel pretty dumb that I didn't just come up with this on my own. When I start planning a cruise in my head, I overthink every little thing.

Another thought. Can you get Johnny Walker Blue in miniatures? If so, get yourself a handful. Put some inside your shoes or such, in your check in and then put one or two in the quart bag you have for airline hand carry TSA luggage. They are under 3.3 ounces.

Another thought. Can you get Johnny Walker Blue in miniatures? If so, get yourself a handful. Put some inside your shoes or such, in your check in and then put one or two in the quart bag you have for airline hand carry TSA luggage. They are under 3.3 ounces.

I can't get the blue in miniatures. But I can find other glass miniatures and refill those with blue. Then I get my two fingers of blue out of glass and not a glorified zip lock😀

As a frequent Carnival cruiser, I must warn you about your plan and smuggling idea. They have intensely beefed this up and have become very good at detecting this in luggage. IF it is found- it is DISCARDED, NO option for you to claim it later and nothing you can do, because it is covered in your contract.

So unless you are fully receptive to loosing what you may choose to bring, despite the policy not to, you may want to drink in port. They are pretty certain to find it, even with more certainty in the ports.

Usually CCL sells it in their on board shops, so even if you can't get it to drink while on your cruise you may be able to get a bottle at a reasonable price to take home with you.

You clearly have no idea what a "small" bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue will cost. It is nto something you want to risk having confiscated and thrown out.

Finding a liquor store in Alaska is easy. Prices used to be much higher in Alaska but compared to where I live in Texas not so much anymore. I would arrange with your ship to buy on board your ship and have it in your room when you arrive. A small cost compared to your cruise. On shore you can buy what you want to consume in each town in a bar. You may meet some real Alaskans! If you like to mix with water or cubes likely you will find that both taste better in Alaska. Better water!

Usually CCL sells it in their on board shops, so even if you can't get it to drink while on your cruise you may be able to get a bottle at a reasonable price to take home with you.

OP doesn't want it to take home. If he could buy it on the ship and drink it there he would. Again, here is the reason for his thread:

"don't want to sound like a complete pretentious a hole. Here is what I envisioned- sitting out on that balcony I have dreamt of in Tracy Fjord on probably my last big trip ever sipping on a glass or two of Johnnie Walker Blue (not the most expensive but I reall enjoy it when I can get it and afford it).

I'm not looking to smuggle or scam. But damn I would love to have that memory!"