Dinning Dress

parsnip1

Hello All, just wondered how dressed up people on the more formal nights on the NCL Gem? Men- Full Suites?or would smart trousers and collared shirt be ok?

Women- Formal dinner dress? or would a casual dress ?

Any information appreciated:)

Hello All, just wondered how dressed up people on the more formal nights on the NCL Gem? Men- Full Suites?or would smart trousers and collared shirt be ok?

Women- Formal dinner dress? or would a casual dress ?

Any information appreciated:)

There is absolutely no requirement that you dress up on the "formal nights" on NCL. Some people do, and some of those go all out, but I'd say most do not. As is the case at all times, "neat casual" is acceptable on any night, in any restaurant or MDR.

Of those men that dress up, I've never noticed anything fancier than a suit and tie.

But put me firmly in the "no dress up" category. I haven't taken a suit on a cruise for years. Slacks and a nice collared shirt do just fine.

I have not been on the Gem but just off the Pearl and if that is any indication of what people are wearing now that it is freestyle anything will do. I saw some in full formal, however very few. Most people were more casual.

This was my first NCL cruise in a few years and all across the board it was the most casual in all instances of any of the other cruise lines. Even the restaurants that had dress codes were pushed to the limits.. Le Bistro, we saw shorts and t shirts and at cagneys too...

You will be fine in which ever you choose.

That's the beauty of Freestyle- you can absolutely dress how you'd like and fit in. On the 'Dress Up or Not' nights you'll see pasengers in everything from jeans and t-shirts to a full tux or evening gown. Slacks and a collared shirt would absolultely be appropriate.

I'm sure it changes a bit based on itineraries and other factors, but my conservative guess is you'll see 5-10% dressed in a suit or nicer; most opt for more casual attire.

NCL you are free to whatever..I have seen casual, business casual, beach dress up cocktail dress casual and even gowns and tuxes. I like to dress for the dress up night, my DH brings one suit and I bring a cocktail dress. Its really whatever you feel comfortable in.

on our 2 weeks last month (first two weeks in December) we saw less "dressed up" than usual and were told by the CD that they arent even calling them "Dress Up or Not" nights anymore and we dont remember seeing mention of that in the Freestyle either.....

usually first sea day in the evening is when you can take pictures with the captain, so that is when you will see more "dressed up"--but like i said this time we saw less--reason we LOVE FREESTYLE--OUR CHOICE to DRESS or NOT anynight of the cruise!!

I was going to make the same comment as Starfish - on the Sun in early December, I don't think they even had dress up or not nights... Don't remember seeing it in the Freestyle Daily. There were still some people dressed up, still people getting formal(ish) photos in the atrium, but no specific night.

Archived