Beaches at St. George's?

cram33

Are there any nice beaches at St. George's or are they allon the southwest part of Bermuda?

There are some really nice beaches in the St.George area.You can walk or take the van at the end of the pier to them. I am sure someone who has cruised there will have more info for you,but if not the tourist office is right here as well,and they can direct you.There is a quiet one if you take the bus to the ols naval station as well which is only a 10 minute ride from St.G.

There is a beach called Tobacco Bay which you can walk to from St George. As you look at St George from the ship, Tobacco Bay is on the other side of the hill where the old Club Med Hotel and Goldf Course are located.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the snorkeling is better at Tobacco Bay or at Fort St. Catherine's? I snorkeled at Tobacco Bay a few years ago, and I really wasn't all that impressed. Of course, I saw a Portuguese Man Of War laying on the beach when I came out of the water, and that freaked me out!

Last year we swam out of the cove at tobacco bay around to the right along the high walls. We just kept going- it was absolutely fantastic. At one point we met a young women who visited Bermuda each year- her grandmother lives there. She had swum out from the fort beach- apparently around to the left. She said she always snorkeled out that way because tobacco bay is just too crowded. We're going to try it this year. It is the little coves and nooks and crannies outside the bays that are so wonderful for seeing fish and coral.

We just returned from 8/8 Crown. Beaches in St George are inferior to the south beaches esp. Horseshoe bay. We went to achille's bay which is on the left side of the St. Catherine's fort. It is small with a rocky area for snorkeling, beach area is ok with chairs for rent. Not used much there were maybe 15 people there all morning- we walked down to Ft. St. Catherine's beach afterward, it is a larger area of sand with calm clear water, no snorkeling. They have banana boats for rides available. Music on beach, expensive food stand, disgusting bathrooms. Chairs and umbrellas for rent. We went to Horseshoe bay the next day and wished we had longer there instead. Food and umbrella chair rentals were less, the beach was beautiful with coves to explore. Bathrooms exceptional with outside showers for cleaning sand off of the feet after walking up the beach. The snorkel park at Dockyard is small but very nice. Facilities under construction will be nice when completed, currently no charge to use the beach area. Have equipment for rent, snorkel gear, kayaks, paddle boats, floats etc.

Chris Mitchell

• 3 weeks later...

10s nut, IMO the best area for snorkeling in St. George IS Tobacco Bay. Go early, no crowd...all the rock formations and out-croppings make for terrific fish sightings. Believe it could be the lagoon-type area (not open ocean) that makes it nice...quiet and calm.

Just got back. Went to Achille bay. It is the beach just to the left of the Fort and is set down from the hill so not immediately noticeable from the street. If you swim out to the left there are many nooks and crannies and small bays- all teeming with fish. Keep going and you will eventually reach Tobacco Bay. Snorkeled all over the island- it is amongst the best.

the beers are $5.00 each....I enjoyed sitting at the bar talking with people....

its a lovely beach with the best chaise lounges on the island although they are slightly pricey... I also snorkeled out beyond the Ft where a lot of people are brought for training....

:)

I am glad you enjoyed your self :)

• 1 month later...
What are the best snorkeling sites in St. George? NOT interested in Tobacco Bay.
ANOTHER BEACH IS A LITTLE KNOW ONE I GO TO EVERY YEAR. IT IS CLEARWATER BEACH AND HAS RESTROOMS AND SMALL FOOD STAND

12 TO 15 MIN. FROM ST. GEORGE IN A CAB $15 EACH WAY. IT IS GREAT AND THERE ARE MORE BEACHES ACROSS THE STREET AND DOWN THE ROAD A BIT

Does anyone know if the snorkeling is better at Tobacco Bay or at Fort St. Catherine's? I snorkeled at Tobacco Bay a few years ago, and I really wasn't all that impressed. Of course, I saw a Portuguese Man Of War laying on the beach when I came out of the water, and that freaked me out!
TRY CLEARWATER Beach 15 mionutes from St. George, has snack bar and restrooms over 1/4 mile and dont be suprised if your the only one there

little know. shhhhhh

• 2 months later...

Archived