Pre-cruise overnight location in Ft. Lauderdale

Rick Ell

My wife and I want will be in Ft. Lauderdale the day/night before our cruise. We've done a few hotels RIGHT next to the port but have exhausted our options at the beach. I'm looking for suggestions of where to stay where I will find a nice hotel, a nearby attraction and something that won't break the bank to get to the cruise/airport.

We did go to an outlet mall on a disembarkation excursion which could be an option but I can't think of a way to get to the port other than an expensive taxi.

Any thoughts or Suggestions would be appreciated.

A little research here would be beneficial.

First, the very common recommendation to check out sunny.org...a list of all hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area, with their amenities.

Second, we have NO IDEA what "break the bank" means to you. Prices are what they are, the beach hotels are more expensive, and the time of the year matters a heck of a lot. When are you going???

Your questions are hugely vague. Perhaps some research can narrow them down to something far more manageable.

Thanks for the reply Bruce, let me see if I can narrow things down, though I was hoping for some vague concepts, not specific hotels. If I stayed near Sawgrass mills mall, it looks like it would be a $40+ taxi ride from the airport to the mall area, and then from the mall area to the port another $40+. Compared to a $5 ride from SE 17th street, this is enough to reconsider. I was hoping someone could offer some experience to see if that option was worth it, or if there was a shuttle or public transport I didn't know about.

I've stayed at (2) hotels on SE17th street, paying an average of at least $250. The hotels were acceptable but each was under construction so nothing special. I'm hoping for other recommendations of other areas to stay and walk around, I've seen the Dania beach are highlighted, the Marina mile has many hotels etc etc.

I'll be looking at the Sunny.org site as well, but it can't give me reports of real-life experience that I was hoping to get from the forum.

Since you mentioned "walking around" and "attractions", have you considered:

Riverside at Las Olas? - a bit of everything here - restaurants, museums, shops, other attractions

Hollywood beach - the boardwalk is the attraction

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (the little downtown area is festive, not much in terms of attractions)

I assume you looked at Lauderdale Beach and it was too expensive or maybe I misunderstood?

You can give a try to CIRC hotel in Hollywood.

Hotel is brand new with rooftop bar and pool, less than 15 minutes from Port Everglades and within walking distance of Hollywood Beach boardwalk.

Many restaurants and bars around, clean and comfortable rooms.

We stayed there a few weeks ago and would return.

A little research here would be beneficial.

First, the very common recommendation to check out sunny.org...a list of all hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area, with their amenities.

Second, we have NO IDEA what "break the bank" means to you. Prices are what they are, the beach hotels are more expensive, and the time of the year matters a heck of a lot. When are you going???

Your questions are hugely vague. Perhaps some research can narrow them down to something far more manageable.

Bruce, at first I was annoyed with your reply. Others have given me suggestions without any extra help. Then I thought it over and replied with the information you were looking for, being very diplomatic. But I just saw another post you made for someone else asking for help and your reply was essentially "look it up online" Stop boasting that you've made 30,000 posts if you only post to suggest people look stuff up online.

We've rented a car a few times when we've stayed at hotels away from Port Everglades. Car rentals are inexpensive in Fort Lauderdale--cheaper than taking a taxi to the Sawgrass area and back. In December, we stayed at the Sawgrass Grand Hotel. It was undergoing renovations, but location was key for it since we went to a hockey game in Plantation. We also used the car to drive out to the Everglades for an airboat ride. We also went to Sawgrass Mills.

Hollywood beach - the boardwalk is the attraction

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (the little downtown area is festive, not much in terms of attractions)

These are two great areas for someone who wants to be at the beach, easy walk to a restaurant etc and affordable!

Bruce, at first I was annoyed with your reply. Others have given me suggestions without any extra help. Then I thought it over and replied with the information you were looking for, being very diplomatic. But I just saw another post you made for someone else asking for help and your reply was essentially "look it up online" Stop boasting that you've made 30,000 posts if you only post to suggest people look stuff up online.

I am supposing you didn't realize that others answered you after you gave some more info.

Where am I boasting about my post count?

We’ve stayed at Hampton Inn, Plantation for one night before cruising from FLL. It’s a very nice area - not a jumping hotspot; very reasonably priced. There are other hotels in this area as well. They offer complimentary transportation from airport to hotel as well as from hotel to cruise port. Just a suggestion for an area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums