Wifi on ship in Havana?

globetrotter212

Hey all,

I'm considering a 5 day on RC's Majesty of the Seas with an overnight in Havana for later this year. I was wondering if I buy a wifi package, will I be able to access it on the ship while we are docked in Havana? I know that Cuba severely censors the internet but are cruise ships affected by this?

PS this was my first post on CC, so I'm not familiar with alot of rules here.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know about RC, and don't know about but internet and Wifi in Havana, as we only visited Cienfuegos. However, Wifi and internet on our Viking Oceans ship was fairly good while we were anchored off Cienfuegos.

One word of caution, though: Some of us tried to use our cell phones in Cuba and found that our phones were blocked. There was a weird message on mine from the local telephone company. The IT person on our cruise ship tried to help me, but couldn't. He said that others had experienced the same thing. Luckily the next day we got back to Miami, and I could use my phone. Unless you really need to use your phone in Cuba to make a call, I would just leave it turned off while you're there.

• 3 weeks later...

Before we left we set up something with Verizon that was supposed to enable phone calls in Cuba. I don't think we ever tried to use it though. Phone calls and texts did work on the ship though. When we were en route to Havana from Cienfuegos I called the paladar in Havana where we had reservations to reconfirm and that worked fine.

While in the Cuban ports the ship's wifi was no worse than when at sea.