Avalon questions...

Larainerenee8

We are very excited about our first River Cruise from Paris on Avalon next month.

I understand that there is a location for all passengers to be transferred to the boat from. Will there be time to leave our luggage and do more sightseeing before we check in and leave for the boat?

And, does Avalon provide a transfer to the airport after the trip, or a drop off back at the same location and for us to take a cab to the airport?

We are very excited about our first River Cruise from Paris on Avalon next month.

I understand that there is a location for all passengers to be transferred to the boat from. Will there be time to leave our luggage and do more sightseeing before we check in and leave for the boat?

And, does Avalon provide a transfer to the airport after the trip, or a drop off back at the same location and for us to take a cab to the airport?

If they handle Paris the same way they do other cruises, yes, you will be able to drop your luggage (and actually "check in" with Avalon at the designated meeting spot, then go back out, on your own.

I would think they offer transfers to the airport. But I would guess these would occur from the ship itself, and not the hotel. Likewise, they could arrange for a cab to take you to the airport (or, there's always Uber)

Robin

Hello,

In October 2016, we were on Avalon's Paris to Normandy itinerary. As we had air from Avalon, we were picked up & transferred by the same to our meeting point hotel, the Pullman Paris Montparnasse Hotel. Anyhow, upon arrival at the hotel, we left our bags with the Avalon reps, went out exploring a bit & returned around 3 PM for our transfer to the ship. Upon completion of our cruise, we had pre-arranged transfers by Avalon to the airport. You can check with Avalon, but I don't believe you can purchase a transfer with them without the air.

Hello,

In October 2016, we were on Avalon's Paris to Normandy itinerary. As we had air from Avalon, we were picked up & transferred by the same to our meeting point hotel, the Pullman Paris Montparnasse Hotel. Anyhow, upon arrival at the hotel, we left our bags with the Avalon reps, went out exploring a bit & returned around 3 PM for our transfer to the ship. Upon completion of our cruise, we had pre-arranged transfers by Avalon to the airport. You can check with Avalon, but I don't believe you can purchase a transfer with them without the air.

That is the itinerary we are doing next month. There are no excursions listed for Rouen - what did you do there?

That is the itinerary we are doing next month. There are no excursions listed for Rouen - what did you do there?

Hi there,

Don't know what your itinerary is, but on ours, we stopped in Rouen on day 5 of our cruise, where we had an included walking tour. As I'd mentioned on another post, there is an astronomical clock in Rouen, akin to that in Prague, albeit on a smaller scale. Rouen is where Joan of Arc is said to have been burned at the stake & has a church bearing her name.

Rouen is the only port other than Paris, where we stopped, that actually has a decent size shopping area. It also has a neat farmers market that has a roof line with a body line of a dragon.

Anyhow, enjoy your cruise.

I did this trip last May with Avalon & wrote an extensive trip report on this site. I did not do my air through Avalon but was able to purchase transfers anyways. I did go in a day early to help with jet lag & explore some of Paris. Unfortunately I was there during the floods last year but Avalon was wonderful in how they handled everything.

For Rouen we had an included walking tour & free time. We ended up overnighting because the ship couldn't sail back to Paris. Some went into Rouen after dinner for the light show @ the cathedral & enjoyed it.