Heathrow to Southampton car service

Can anyone recommend a car service that will take us from Heathrow to Southampton in August. we have too much luggage etc. to utilize the National Express bus to Southampton.

We will be on the Carribbean Princess on August 11 , after spending several days in the Southampton area.

I've used Woodford Chauffeur Cars several times and they've always been great. They will meet you as you exit the Customs area and handle your luggage. The owner's wife, Cheryl Finch, handles cruise-related bookings. She's emailed me at midnight her time thanking me for the email and she'd get back to me first thing in the morning with a quote or confirmation. To me, that's responsive. I can't say enough good things about them. http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

We also used Woodford when we were transiting from Heathrow to our friends' home. The driver was courteous and efficient. They had a nice Mercedes van for us so plenty of room for us and our luggage. They also had bottled water. Sometimes it is the little things that makes the journey a lot easier (especially when you've been on a plane all night).

The two most frequently recommended on CC are www.westquaycars.com and www.smithsforairports.com

Normally about £85 to £90, but do advise them of the volume of luggage - you may need a bigger car.

Nat Express drivers have always taken a pretty lenient attitude toward luggage regs (2x44lb per passenger plus hand luggage) but those regs have recently been re-vamped, theoretically you can take more at extra cost "if there's room". But its early days of that re-vamp, so no-one knows how its gonna pan out. Yes, it currently makes sense to steer clear if you have a big stack of luggage.

No luggage limitations on the train, but this involves walking your luggage 10 mins if you arrive at terminals 1-3, then a shuttle bus (included in rail fare) to the nearest mainline station, then a taxi hop from Southampton central station to ship. Fare about £36 pp plus £6-£8 taxi - a sensible option only for singletons.

JB :)

As JB says West Quay and Smith's are probably hard to beat for most travellers in terms of value.

Woodford and people like Eddie Manning have their fans as you see afrom the above.

So much so that in the past there has been heated exchanges about Woodford and their value for money. No getting away from the fact you do pay a havay premium over the West Quay/Smith solutions.

If you fly First Class and think its good value then Woodford / Eddie Manning might be worth checking out, if you travel further back in the plane I'd stick with Smith's / west Quay.

All are reliable, with large modern fleets and are trustworthy.

I just came back from a cruise of the British Isles and we used DJC Private Hire. Their service was outstanding and it was the same or cheaper than the options mentioned. We paid 85 GBP for transport for two people with lots of luggage from Heathrow to Southampton and then paid 115 GBP for four people from Southampton to Heathrow. They were very prompt, professional, and the vehicle was comfortable and clean. Would use them again in a heartbeat!

http://www.djcprivatehire.co.uk

Archived